Ghana : Ghanaian Presidential and Parliamentary Elections - December 7, 2012

Ghana extends voting to Saturday after technical hitch
By Kwasi Kpodo and Richard Valdmanis | Reuters – 1 hr 6 mins ago
CCRA (Reuters) - Ghana extended voting in its presidential electioninto a second day, officials said on Friday, after a rash of technical problems prevented thousands of people in the West African state from casting their ballots on time.
The decision was broadly accepted by political parties and voters, who hoped the poll would entrench Ghana's reputation as a bulwark of democracy and progress in a region better known for civil wars, coups and corruption.
"People who lined up to vote today but were unable to do so will be able to cast their ballot tomorrow," said Election Commissioner Kwadwo Afari-Gyan. Polling stations would reopen at 7:00 a.m. (2 a.m. EDT), he said.
Many newly introduced electronic fingerprint readers, used to verify people's identities, malfunctioned on Friday, slowing voting and creating long lines at polling stations nationwide that could not be cleared.
A spokesman for the main opposition party said the glitches had affected hundreds of thousands of people, though the electoral commission declined to give an estimate.
A Reuters correspondent found several polling stations in Accra where fingerprint readers were not working, though other stations completed voting and were tallying ballots.
"We have been standing here for five hours. Our line is not moving," said Alice Hayford, a 44-year-old market trader on the western outskirts of the capital Accra, shortly before polls were due to close.

Click Here to Read Entire Article

Sister MsDrea ... thanks for this!

Isn't it interesting that Ghana has fingerprint readers to verify identities?

It seems more technologically advanced (even though they're experiencing glitches) than here in the USA.

Or would that be considered an effort to block voter participation, if it were here in the USA?

No matter though i suppose, it's just good that they've extended voting so all have an opportunity.

Thanks Sister ... Love You!

:heart:

Destee

Sister MsDrea ... thanks for this!

Isn't it interesting that Ghana has fingerprint readers to verify identities?

It seems more technologically advanced (even though they're experiencing glitches) than here in the USA.

Or would that be considered an effort to block voter participation, if it were here in the USA?

No matter though i suppose, it's just good that they've extended voting so all have an opportunity.

Thanks Sister ... Love You!

:heart:

Destee
Thanks Sister for fixing the post for me...you have taught me so much computer stuff yet I have failed to learn stuff pertinent to the Destee site. Please forgive me. :heart:
Love & Blessings,
DREA

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

It's a lot going on and I know I have not been here for a long time but it is about to change.
Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Back