Ghana : Ghanaian Presidential and Parliamentary Elections - December 7, 2012

This is between Mahama(NDC) and Akufo-Addo(NPP) and since the NDC is weak after Atta Mills death, Jerry Rawlings tried to get his powerful wife to run...but they rejected her election application at the last minute..since they didn't nominate her over Mahama she broke away and started her own party.Ghana politics are interesting, the only critical thing I have to say is they tend to bid for western interests to much example giving, right now there is an Argentinean ship dock at the port and some western banking firm has bribed the government to hold and not release it until Argentina pays the debt to a firm in New York. I know this election will be peaceful they have a model democracy for Africa.

I'm not too familiar with Ghana politics, though this thread has opened the door a little to it for me.

One thing i noticed was that all of the candidates are Christian or Muslim, speaking to the western interests you mentioned. In fact, democracy is a western influence, if no mistake ... right?

This page lists their religious affiliations, not that this should be held against any i suppose.

I also read that there was like controversy regarding Akwasi Addai Odike, something about his party not supporting him, but he went about getting listed some other way ... not sure about it all ... but it is very interesting.

Looking forward to seeing who wins.

Thanks for sharing.

:heart:

Destee

I think the concept of Democracy is more universal, meaning people in other countries generally want to participate in the governing of their countries and want freedom and justice etc, but WESTERN democracy yea it's a different thing. This modern democracy in Africa is bad ,basically just tribal groupings in the form of political parties, from Angola to Kenya to Zambia. And yea the Northern parts of Ghana would have muslim influences and Southern Ghana would have Christians influences, same in Ivory Coast and Nigeria

I'm not too familiar with Ghana politics, though this thread has opened the door a little to it for me.

One thing i noticed was that all of the candidates are Christian or Muslim, speaking to the western interests you mentioned. In fact, democracy is a western influence, if no mistake ... right?

This page lists their religious affiliations, not that this should be held against any i suppose.

I also read that there was like controversy regarding Akwasi Addai Odike, something about his party not supporting him, but he went about getting listed some other way ... not sure about it all ... but it is very interesting.

Looking forward to seeing who wins.

Thanks for sharing.

Destee

Ghana extends voting to Saturday after technical hitch
By Kwasi Kpodo and Richard Valdmanis | Reuters – 1 hr 6 mins ago
CCRA (Reuters) - Ghana extended voting in its presidential electioninto a second day, officials said on Friday, after a rash of technical problems prevented thousands of people in the West African state from casting their ballots on time.
The decision was broadly accepted by political parties and voters, who hoped the poll would entrench Ghana's reputation as a bulwark of democracy and progress in a region better known for civil wars, coups and corruption.
"People who lined up to vote today but were unable to do so will be able to cast their ballot tomorrow," said Election Commissioner Kwadwo Afari-Gyan. Polling stations would reopen at 7:00 a.m. (2 a.m. EDT), he said.
Many newly introduced electronic fingerprint readers, used to verify people's identities, malfunctioned on Friday, slowing voting and creating long lines at polling stations nationwide that could not be cleared.
A spokesman for the main opposition party said the glitches had affected hundreds of thousands of people, though the electoral commission declined to give an estimate.
A Reuters correspondent found several polling stations in Accra where fingerprint readers were not working, though other stations completed voting and were tallying ballots.
"We have been standing here for five hours. Our line is not moving," said Alice Hayford, a 44-year-old market trader on the western outskirts of the capital Accra, shortly before polls were due to close.

Click Here to Read Entire Article

I think the concept of Democracy is more universal, meaning people in other countries generally want to participate in the governing of their countries and want freedom and justice etc, but WESTERN democracy yea it's a different thing. This modern democracy in Africa is bad ,basically just tribal groupings in the form of political parties, from Angola to Kenya to Zambia. And yea the Northern parts of Ghana would have muslim influences and Southern Ghana would have Christians influences, same in Ivory Coast and Nigeria

Thank you for the above! You've prompted more questions in me, and i'll be starting a new thread on it and will tag you in it so you can join in and know about it.

Why do you think this modern democracy in Africa is bad?

Was there a previous form of democracy in Africa, that was good?

The idea that WESTERN democracy is different from democracy in general is interesting.

The new thread i create in just a few may be a better place for these questions / answers.

Great contribution to this thread, thanks again!

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back