Audio Video Web Conferencing : Getting stuck in chat talk box

Discussion in 'Audio Video Web Conferencing' started by lilpea, Sep 22, 2008.

1. lilpea

lilpea Moderator STAFF

United States
    retired
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hello family ....

This is for those that keep getting stuck in the talk box of chat... so far sence we have been having this problem it has happen to me 3 times. I believe I have found a solution. I did a SYSTEM RESTORE and it worked for me each time. Up until then nothing seems to work. I hope it works for you.

Note: this is different then a chat reset... you have to shut down your computer and do this before you log on. It will put your computer back to factory condition...it will not effect any saved data.

Good luck
    Lilpea

2. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Thank you Brother Lilpea!

:heart:

3. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    it will only put one back to a factory condition if one has never set a restore point since it came from the factory. but windows, if i recall correctly, will set restore points whenever certain conditions are met, unless one has disabled system restore.

also, one might consider clearing the macromedia folder if things get too messy.

4. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Thanks correct, anAfrican. Some systems are set to do an auto restore point every 24 hours - which is handy if you have enough space - but one can set them up whenever and how ever often they like. Some will automatically delete the older restore points when newer ones are made.

Bear in mind, if you switch OFF system restore, all restore points will be deleted!

also to keep in mind that your restore point can set back your automatic updates to certain software/drivers if you added them on after the restore point was made.

Zulile

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Thank you Brother LilPea and Family for sharing ... but i would NEVER suggest a Member do a complete RESTORE of their system, because of our chat or any!

That is a very DRASTIC measure to take, in an effort to trouble-shoot an internet chat application.

I've never done this, restored my system for our chat, and can't imagine doing so.

Everyone's system is not the same. Everyone does not have the latest software, that does automatic stuff, that puts your resources back the way they should be. In addition, not everyone has the same technical savvy, to even do such a thing. Many only know how to turn their systems on, perform basic things, and then turn their system off again.

If one were to try and do a RESTORE, and then their system doesn't come back on at all ... not only will they not be able to chat, but they will not be able to get on the Internet at all, or do anything with their system. They won't be able to log in, and ask any questions, because their system won't work. For this reason, i don't think it's a good recommendation for us to make, as we can't help them if they should decide to go this way, and it goes all wrong for them.

It is true, we have been having this problem, where some Members are not disengaging fully from chat, when they leave. This leaves their names in the "talk box" and when they do come back in, they don't have any audio / video capabilities ... though they can still come in, text, interact, just not using all of the features available.

It's been happening for a long time, it's even happened to me, years ago. There were times when it would do me this way, and i'd just log in with my "test" name, and doing that, would kick out my "destee" name ... but again, this was long ago ... and even this (logging in with a different name), isn't a guarantee that it will fix the problem.

It has become worse of late, leaving folk "locked in" for longer periods of time, when in the past, after a little while, the system would drop the name ... but even that isn't happening in a timely manner right now.

The chat server folk believe that the problem is on the server side, and are working on it.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and hope you all will bear with us, as we try to permanently solve this problem.

For the record though, unless you absolutely know what you're doing, i'd never suggest a RESTORE of your system. Even after restoring, if the problem is on the server side, you'll still experience the same. It may fix the problem temporarily, but it can't be the long term, final solution.

That is way too much work for every user to perform, overkill, just to get into chat.

No ... this can't be the answer to the problem.

So please, bear with us as we try to get it working properly for everyone.

Love You!

Destee

6. lilpea

lilpea Moderator STAFF

United States
    retired
    Ratings:
    +343
    Just trying to help.....

Sister Destee .....

Maybe you are right....mayby some don't have the latest software and technical savvy.... to do this precidure...and for that I stand corrected.

Lilpea......