Black Entertainment : Get On Up

KPITRL

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 7, 2013
Just got back from seeing "Get On Up". I thought it was a pretty good movie. James character took me back to the day when brothers were strong and willing to take a chance, unlike those black cowards on my old IT job. Chadwick Boseman played Browns' character to a T. I didn't think I'd ever see anybody able to talk just like James Brown. This movie took me back to my early childhood. One part that really took me back was the scene when they found out Dr, King was shot. They were showing news coverage of the King Riots, and I caught a glimpse of our Highs (used to be a popular convenience store in the 60's and 70's) lit up in flames, and everybody's car marked with "Soul Brother" on their window, so their windshields wouldn't get shattered. I instantly knew those scenes were from the 1968 14th street King Riots. I used to love going to that Highs. Don't mean to ramble on this scene. It's just that I wrote a post the other day on the "Your not black, because" thread, and I mentioned a little bit about my early childhood area, which I seldom do.

Anyway, when you go to this movie be careful. Because some of those song's are going to make you want to shout along with James, especially, "Say It Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud". That song really took me back, especially when I saw most of the ones shouting, "I'm Black and I'm Proud" were kids in my age group". BTW, I didn't know Maceo and Browns' relationship was that strained. Anyway, I'll stop here, and let y'all see the movie.

Last edited:
Just saw it. The showed him as a genius and with warts. He was lucky to be alive more than a few times

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back