Pan Africanism : GERMAN UNICEF AD PUTS KIDS IN BLACKFACE

Zulile

Jun 24, 2007
Occupation
HR/Finance
I would love to know what the intent was with such an ad. I've seen many more like it, as racial/cultural dividing ads are rather the norm here - all under the pretense to create awareness and gather $$.

People (of colour mainly) object, and often the ad is pulled.

I find it impossible to accept that UNICEF was unaware of the offensivness of their ad. What was/is it's goal?

I dont know if anyone recalls the AIDS awareness ad - with a black and white baby sitting side by side while the commentator speaks about aids.. and this white baby then turns and puts a caring hand on the black baby's shoulder - as if offering to "help" - If anyone knows where to find it, please let me know.

I just about wrote a book here, veering of the topic of the ad itself. :)

I would, however, be interested in hearing opinions on the ad's purpose - it's message.

twashing

Dec 17, 2004
Well, according to the blog, it's just a general fund raising campaign. The German translation just uses kids, paying for school, etc as a rationale for the public to give funds. Pretty sick of you ask me.

"Besides claiming that every single person in "Africa" isn't educated, and doing so in an extremely patronising way, it is also disturbing that this organisation thinks blackfacing kids with mud (!) equals "relating to african children""

- This is an actual ad-campaign by UNICEF Germany!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Science and Technology : Secret Soviet Spy Radio Found In German Forest Science and Technology 0
IFE Black People : A German White Woman With An Insane Chemical Tan Insists She Is Now “Black” Black People Open Forum 0
THE-GOD Black People : German soldier practices imagines shooting African Americans Black People Open Forum 8
Chevron Dove Black People : A GERMAN NAZI? & Jew Black People Open Forum 7
blackeyes Science and Technology : German museum returning skulls from racial experiments Science and Technology 13
hartwell Black People : Berlin Bust! How German Archaeologists Faked Nerfertiti’s Bust Black People Open Forum 1
J Black People : GERMAN genocide in NAIMBIA (no news coverage) Black People Open Forum 0
G Black People : German Ad Campaign Uses White Children in Blackface to Portray "Uneducated Africans" Black People Open Forum 3
D Black People : German trainer told soldier to picture shooting blacks in Bronx Black People Open Forum 0
P Black People : Row over German zoo's Africa show Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Burundi : Beyoncé Teams Up With UNICEF To Bring Safe Water To Kids In Burundi Burundi 0
OldSoul Black People : Youtube puts Consciousness Raising OnLine latest edition on restriction Black People Open Forum 2
Liberty Black Entertainment : Ta-Nehisi Coates puts together a new Crew for latest Black Panther spinoff Black Entertainment 0
Liberty Black Money Business Jobs : Minority Business Development Agency Puts $7.7 Million Toward New Business Centers Black Money Business Jobs 0
S Black People : Stephen A. Smith puts "the black community" in it's place. Black People Open Forum 401
Alarm Clock Black People : In Historic Victory for Community Radio, FCC Puts 1,000 Low-Power FM Frequencies Up For Grabs, Black People Open Forum 7
Kemetstry Black People : ASIAN FRATERNITY PUTS OUT RACIST VIDEO Black People Open Forum 15
S Black Education / Schools : Chicago Student breaks it down like it needed to be broke; puts the screws to the music teacher. Black Education / Schools 1
G Black People : Dreadlocked Miss Jamaica puts Rastas in new light Black People Open Forum 0
anAfrican Science and Technology : Symantec AntiVirus Worm Hole Puts Millions at Risk Science and Technology 7
Therious Black Sports : Congress Puts The Heat on BCS Black Sports 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Entertainment : KRS-1 puts foot in mouth? Black Entertainment 14
R Black People : Mom vs. Mom: Custody battle puts new twist on precedents Black People Open Forum 2
J Black People : AmeriKKKan Puts Africa In Its' Cross Hairs Black People Open Forum 2