Black Christians : Gerald Massey's "Gnostic and Historic Christianity"

Photograph of Gerald Massey dated 1856

Gerald Massey (29 May 1828 - 29 October 1907) was an English poet and self-educated Egyptologist. He was born near Tring, Hertfordshire in England.

....Claimed parallels between Horus and Jesus

One of the more sensational aspects of Massey's writings were the parallels he drew between the Christian god Jesus of Nazareth and the Egyptian god Horus. These comparisons are primarily contained in his book The Natural Genesis. Massey's writings on this subject have influenced various later authors such as Alvin Boyd Kuhn, Tom Harpur, and Acharya S.[5]
Some of the similarities that Massey claimed existed are that they both
  1. Were born of virgins on December 25
  2. Taught in a temple as a child at age 12
  3. Were teachers who had 12 Disciples
  4. Were baptized in a river
  5. Gave a sermon on the mount
  6. Healed the sick
  7. Raised men from the dead (El-Asar-Us for Horus, Lazarus for Jesus)
  8. Died by crucifixion
  9. Were resurrected three days later.[6]
At the same time, most contemporary Egyptologists believe these parallels are not true and pseudo-scientific. In particular they point out that, among the sources make no mention of these facts in the life of Horus, and the celebration of Jesus' birth on December 25 was chosen for political reasons and was never claimed to be the actual date of his birth.[10] However, W. Ward Gasque conducted a world-wide poll of twenty leading Egyptologists - including Professor Kenneth Kitchen of the University of Liverpool and Ron Leprohan, Professor of Egyptology at the University of Toronto- in Canada, US, UK, Australia, Germany, and Austria to verify if there was any academic support for these claims. The scholars were unanimous in dismissing the claimed parallels. One scholar, who called it "fringe nonsense", also cautioned that "[e]gyptology has the unenviable distinction of being one of those disciplines that almost anyone can lay claim to, and the unfortunate distinction of being probably the one most beleaguered by false prophets."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Massey

There is a lecture called "The Naked Truth About Religion" and it is fantastic when it comes to giving background on all religions and how they started and the reasons for them to start. I would like to recommend to all of those who like to see comparisons to the 'Deity's' that are worshiped and their cast of characters. The insight is fantastic and right on point. Type the name into your search engine or maybe You Tube search engine and sit back and enjoy. Hotep

very long you should have added a link with a short insertion of the article
and not in it fullness

Please add a link to this!

Does this violate Destee's rule about "Copyright Infringement/Stealing someone else's work?"

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/copyright-infringement-stealing-is-not-allowed-here.1144/

Hello Everyone,

It has come to my attention that there are SEVERAL Family Members posting work that does not belong to them. Some of you I've emailed, requesting that you remove the property if it's not yours. I've posted a "Copyright Infringement" announcement that appears on every page in this forum for all to see. Yet in spite of this, I'm still being told that folk are posting work that does not belong to them.

I'm grateful to those of you who bring these things to my attention, as I don't have time to read each post. Please continue to let me know if you see work that you recognize as someone else's.

First of all, to claim work copyrighted by another, or use it without their express written permission, is stealing. In addition, it simply is not welcome here! This forum is not about posting your favorite work that someone else created. This forum is about YOUR work, YOUR flow, YOUR words, what YOU created. I don't care how much you think of Langston Hughes or Nikki Giovanni ... don't put their work on this site! (Of course they are welcome to join us and post it themselves.)

Last but hardly least, is the fact that we have very talented poets and authors here. If you infringe on the work of others, you will do the same to those that present their work here. This type of behavior is not allowed by any who have membership here.

If you don't have confidence in your own work, your own words, email a fellow family member and ask them to write with you. I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige. That's how I started writing poetry, with the help of these same poets. Before long, you'll be presenting beautiful work that you created.

This post is to let you know I have no patience for this. I consider it stealing and if you'll steal from them you'll steal from us.

Again, if you have posted work on this site that belongs to someone else, and have not included their permission for it be here, remove it right away.

Thank You.

Destee

Does this violate Destee's rule about "Copyright Infringement/Stealing someone else's work?"

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/copyright-infringement-stealing-is-not-allowed-here.1144/

Yeah ... $$RICH$$ mentioned this above ... though no link was ever added.

Oftentimes, with Biblical / Religious / Spiritual works, they've been around so long rules of free use have slackened.

I don't know if that is the case with this, as i don't know who the author is, where this writing came from or anything.

Brother Keita Kenyatta ... can you help us with this please ... whose property have you posted?

Thanks.

:heart:

Destee

Yeah ... $$RICH$$ mentioned this above ... though no link was ever added.

Oftentimes, with Biblical / Religious / Spiritual works, they've been around so long rules of free use have slackened.

I don't know if that is the case with this, as i don't know who the author is, where this writing came from or anything.

Brother Keita Kenyatta ... can you help us with this please ... who's property have you posted?

Thanks.

:heart:

Destee

No one's...Gerald Massey wrote his works before there was a copyright...if you come into chat I can show you his works on camera so that you can see that they have no copyrights. This isn't the only works without one. Our brother, Carter G. Woodsons work "The Miseducation of the Negro" doesn't have one either. Copyrights are only good for 50 years unless a family member renews it...if they do not, it then becomes the property of "public domain". Carter G. Woodson, Gerald Massey, Drusilla Dungee Houston ( author of "The Ethiopian Kushite Empire") and others never married or had children to pass it on to.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back