Black People : Georgia Wants Families of Inmates to Pay For Stay

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by rasembi aunk, Feb 18, 2009.

1. rasembi aunk

rasembi aunk Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Georgia Inmates Would Pay For Jail Stay Under Proposal

ATLANTA -- House lawmakers are set to consider a contentious proposal that would allow state officials to collect money from people in prison and their families to cover the costs of their incarceration.

"The Jail and Prison Reimbursement Act" would require prisoners in Georgia facilities to pay a reimbursement fee to the state for medical care and establish an average per diem cost of up to $40 a day.

It also allows collections officials to seize assets and property of prisoners and their families in court.

Supporters said the measure, which faces its first committee hearing Wednesday, will help the state recoup costs in a tough economy. Critics worry it could saddle innocent family members with daunting costs.

There is too much potential for the powers-that-be to abuse this law which I believe is their intent anyway. What if righteous brothers of a Malcolm X caliber want to speak out against injustices(not necessarily racial) by the state publicly, but is considered a "terrorist" and thrown in jail, in effect unfairly burdening the family with costs of his stay. Families will then police themselves and stop any uprisings as they will think that one or more of their own would go to jail and cost the family money. There is a Homeland Security law that says that people publicly protesting against the government is an act of treason and they can hold you in jail INDEFINITELY which will incur perpetual costs ...we should keep that in mind!!

2. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    man...georgia is the most racist state by far in my opinion....i know this by my many traverses thru it's region on my way to florida....which btw is not too far behind....

not only can u be improperly imprisoned...but your family would have to pay for the judicial systems mistake...if this bill is passed it sets a horrible president....one that could possibly polarize this country to a civil race war in the not too distant future...even with a black president....

one love
    khasm