Black Weight Loss : Genetics and Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by newtopia, May 13, 2010.

1. newtopia

newtopia New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been trying to get in the grove of losing weight for about 2 years now. The biggest issue I have a problem is is really just getting started. I have got started a few times but only resulting in failure. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!

I ran across this program called Newtopia, i'm sure a lot of you have heard of it, and it has done some good for me. They done a Genetic profile on me which I thought was real high tech. I had never heard of anyone doing something like that.

I started to look up Genetics and Weight Loss and have found some pretty interesting information. There are more businesses out there using Genetics in there Weight Loss Programs these days.

If you have any information, thoughts, or advice on Genetics and Weight Loss I would love to hear about it. This subject interest me a lot.

Thanks.

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Netopia ... Welcome ... :wave:

Thanks for sharing. I've never heard of this.

What did your high tech genetic profile tell you about yourself?

:heart:

Destee

3. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Wow! no. i've not heard about newtopia. The Genetics part of it does sound interesting.

I could definitely benefit from learning more about being healthy but, in regards to 'losing weight', I'm so against this approach. My reasons for this is because I believe that the focus for a woman like me should be more geared to EXERCISE and living healty and not the American hyped up obessesion about having to lose weight to the point of looking like a very thin super model. i think that kind of approach is so doomed to fail for women like me.

I've had my days of flattery as a young girl who cut a tight figure and now that I'm a little older, I enjoy setting goals of looking great on a more realistic level. In this way, I really enjoy my workouts and look forward to doing that all of the time. It has become 'a way of life for me' It never had to become 'a change of life' because fortunately, I was very athletic when I was younger so now, i still love to workout. I get a high from it when I can find the time to do it. That is my challenge; finding time. However, I would love to hear more about how genetics plays into exercise and health. I don't refer to my goals as trying to lose weight, just looking and feeling great for my age. That is what is important to me.

4. sandradavis

sandradavis Member MEMBER

Medical Consultant and Researcher
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Genetics" as the primary cause of obesity is quite RARE. Most cases of obesity result from diets that are a mismatch with the person's genetic makeup. You can't change your genes, but you can change your diet/lifestyle. Change the diet and the genes will work beautifully.

Human genes have not had enough time to change significantly over the last 100 years. Obesity was rare just 100 years ago. Genes have not changed, but Diet and lifestyle have changed how genes work (gene expression). Diet and lifestyle are the key.

***************.com