Black Entertainment : GENERATIONS AND MUSIC

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Therious, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    EVERY GENERATION WILL CRITICIZE THE PROCEEDING GENERATIONS MUSIC. WHEN I WAS A YOUNG BUCK MY FAM ALWAYS EXPRESSED HOW MUSIC WAS MUSIC IN THEIR DAY, AND US KIDS ARE JUST COPYING THERE STYLE. IN THE EIGHTIES IT WAS MICHAEL JACKSON IS JUST DOING JAMES BROWN. IN THE NINETIES IT WAS RAP IS NOT ON THE LEVEL OF OLD SKOOL RAP.

NOW A DAYS I FIND MY SELF APPROACHING (27 TO B EXACT) THIRTY AND 90 PERCENT OF THE YOUNGSTERS MUSIC I CANT STAND (THEN AGAIN WHEN I WAS A TEENAGER 90 PERCENT OF POP WAS WACK 2 ME). I HEAR PEOPLE FROM MY GENERATION TALKING ABOUT HOW HIP HOP (MORE LIKE HIP POP) AINT REAL NO MORE.

THE YOUNGSTERS WILL ALWAYS PICK UP AND EXPAND WHERE THE OLDER CATS LEFT OFF. IT IS TRUE IN PART THAT THE YOUNGER RAPERS ARE MORE SALES BASED THAN SKILLZ BASED, JUST AN OBSERVATION. DO THE PROCEEDERS SUCK THAT BAD OR ARE THE PREECEEDERS JUST SET IN ONE STATE OF MIND?? :yo:

2. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Rap music in itself is just another genre of music. The style is not the problem... the lyrics are. If rap could be redefined to send out positive messages instead of negative ones, I don't think there would be as much of a stigma associated with it.

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Music is very much a reflection of the values of the generation which creates it. When older generations critize music, they are not just criticizing the sounds, but the messages given. If one listens to Jazz in the 1920-30s, you could hear some of the concerns of black folks in that time. Listening to blues in the 1940-50s would also reveal the inner most thoughts of our people in the era. R & B in the 1960s & 70s (James Brown, Marvin Gaye, etc) reflected embracing our blackness, as well as questioning the government. This was very much a reflection of that era. Music in the late 1970s & 80s started to show a confusion/division in the community: From black nationalist Hip Hop, songs about the crime & poverty of the ghetto, to songs bragging about superficial pursuits of wealth & women to musicians who focused on assimilation. Then we have the music of the 1990s & today....Whoa! It is my sincere hope that one day we look back on it, and apologize to our children.

4. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    WILL THE CRITICISM OF THE 90S AND NOW BE LOOKED UPON THE SAME IN THE FUTURE? I NOTICED ION THE RAY CHARLES MOVIE MANY WHT AND BLK LOOKED AT HIM AS THE ANTI CHRIST. BUT IN RETROSPECT HE WAS JUST A CUTTING EDGE GENIUS.

JAMES BROWN DID HAVE SOME SONGS THAT WERE VIOLENT LIKE THE BIG PAT BACK AMONGST OTHER ARTISTS OF THE . HOWEVER THE AMOUNT OF MONEY INVOLVED TODAY HAS CHANGED THE WHOLE GAME

5. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    WILL THE CRITICISM OF THE 90S AND NOW BE LOOKED UPON THE SAME IN THE FUTURE? I NOTICED IN THE RAY CHARLES MOVIE MANY WHT AND BLK LOOKED AT HIM AS THE ANTI CHRIST. BUT IN RETROSPECT HE WAS JUST A CUTTING EDGE GENIUS.

JAMES BROWN DID HAVE SOME SONGS THAT WERE VIOLENT LIKE THE BIG PAy BACK AMONGST OTHER ARTISTS OF THEAT TIME . HOWEVER THE AMOUNT OF MONEY INVOLVED TODAY HAS CHANGED THE WHOLE GAME.

THERE WERE AND IS STILL POLITICAL RAP IN THE 90S AND PRESENT , LIKE I SAID THOUGH $$$$.

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    "say it loud, i'm black and i'm proud" was a big hit in it's day.
    "the message" was a big hit in it's day.
    while there may be political rap today, it get's no love.

what the youth listen to today is undiluted garbage.
    BET and Clear Channel need to be burned down to the ground. :flamet:

7. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    It is true that there were songs with varying messages in all eras, but it is important to note what was popular & what was championed by the masses. "Say it loud" was championed by the masses in the 60s. "What's going on" was championed by the masses in the 70s. "The message" and "Self-destruction" was championed by the masses in the 80s. What songs are being championed by the masses today?

8. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    shake it like a salt shaker.

9. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    That is funny, but let me ask you this James....and everyone else in the family:

DOES BET NEED TO BE OBSOLETE OR REFORMED?

CD

10. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    nuke it........ :flamet: