Health and Wellness : Generational Trauma

NishnabekJourney

REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2020
Many of us indiginous people have suffered through generational traumas since colonization came to our shores 500 years ago now. It's believed almost unanimously across the tribes that power is in the blood (in many ways). I had a few questions for you regarding this area (like 100, but i'll start with just a few).

1) Do you feel any effects as African Americans of trauma being past down not just from parents to children, but from multiple generations of abuse as a whole?
2) Do you ever feel naturally drawn to past ancestors spiritual practices. You find yourself expressing yourself in ways that havn't been taught to you, or picking up spiritual beliefs that you arn't used to, feeling a deeper connection to them in unique ways? Performing them like an expert, yet you've never done them before.

For example: I have had what many refer to as blood memories. Memories of significant trauma, like when my ancestors were lured into a diplomatic meet, our elders ambushed under the terms of peace and thrown into chains, and our women held hostage so that we would comply more. I have had this memory (5 seperate times, the same one) like a movie playing through my head, of the wagons and forced foot march of our people on the Trail of Death. In this memory that repeats, is a woman crying, and I feel/see myself chained to a center wagon wooden post in the center of a short wagon, the woman is someone I love dearly, and I can't quiet get my arms around her to comfort her. I see this memory almost like a 4k movie in my head, like I saw it with my own eyes, even though that's obviously impossible. In this memory I see it clear as day, I see colors that as someone who is majorly colorblind I have NEVER seen before (I can only see bland shades of green, blue, and inbetweens of red/yellows, color blind 5 out of 7 major colors, and 2 of 7 minorly). I feel my emotions in the memory, like they had been something I felt personally in the past, but I didn't feel them in the present after this happened, my emotions remained pretty consistent with how they did just moments before the memory the first time this occured.

The Kicker: After having this memory in the form of a flashback with eyes open, during the day, which is how it occured everytime, it has only happened when I laid foot on the ceremonial grounds of my people or around that location. I saw years later drawings from colonizationers depicting the Trail of Death for the first time, and saw some of the wagon styles back then in person in a museum the year after I saw the pictures. Both are two things I had NEVER seen before, not in a movie, not myself, etc, and they were exactly like my dream. The military wagons were unique, and unlike other wagons back then do to their specifications for military use, prisoner transport, and production requirements material wise. This really freaked me out at first, I questioned my sanity, originally dismissing the memory (until it happened again and again), but now I have come to a new perspective.

Have any of you experienced this as well in your own lives? Would you trust me enough to share some your experiences?

In the past I have found some interesting studies, but it's hard to find them again, sometimes I wonder if Google scripts them out of it's search engine (or i'm just terrible at finding them), donnu. There is also a research project ongoing to map out the human brain on the neurons level, and some of the researchers on this project have posted some interesting theories on memories, the brain, and genetics.

I had a few questions for you regarding this area (like 100, but i'll start with just a few).

1) Do you feel any effects as African Americans of trauma being past down not just from parents to children, but from multiple generations of abuse as a whole?

Yes, the effects of the transatlantic slave trade resulting in slavery produced a kind of racism against Black people that are unprecedented and continuous.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back