Black Spirituality Religion : Generation(and other) Gaps

twashing

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 17, 2004
OK, first off, much love to the Destee community for everything. I've got to let off some more steam, and if anyone else has dealt with this, I totally feel you.

I was talking with my mom and we got to talking about politics in America and the social upheaval in the 60s and so on and so forth. In Jamaica in the 70s there was political upheaval between Michael Manley and Edward Seaga in the 70s. And this is why we did not go back to Jamaica. Now, I bring this up because we were just talking about the old days in Jamaica (we kids were all born in Canada), and how there is much more of a social culture in Jamaica versus here in Canada. People talk to each other there whereas people are more isolated here.

Now, we all grew up Christian, but were told never to read about Black history, culture etc (I'm serious). All of the proud history was British and fighting in the war and so on. Much of my older generation's mentality was that if you were Black or African, you worshipped voodoo or something and you needed to be saved (through Jesus) and all of that.

Now my mum (some of my Aunts have do this too) have justified this view by saying that god lifts up his children, and the reason America is so strong at the moment is because there are so many Christians, or that it was founded on Christian principles. I think it is so rich because it got free, illegal labour for 400 years. But some of my older generation say that I'm just looking at the human and not the spiritual aspects and so on. And I bring up Christianity because there is an underlying current of racial inferiority there (certainly with the generation I grew up with).

I'm told to forget our oppression and history and culture, or at least not think about it. But that I should just move on and "enjoy" life. But my enjoyment of life has to do with being real with my history and everything we as a people are. I can't be comfortable with the belief that Black people are in the position we are in because of some spiritual deficiency, or anything else. Now here's my question. What are other people's experiences of cultural / spiritual values of an older generation that are fundamentally different from your own?

-- tim

jamesfrmphilly said:
you got whack older generation problems.
they telling you a bunch of bull.
mine was nothing like that.

you need to get some new relatives or something.

Haaa, I have a lot of relatives to choose from still.

I know a lot of my friends even in High School were like "that's just the older generation". But seeing that these issues are not addressed outside of the Black community, I want to see what people's deals were. I mean I've heard some of my clan curse out African Americans for being lazy, and blah blah blah (and vice versa). I think that's BULL****, but nobody calls it!!!

-- tim

What are other people's experiences of cultural / spiritual values of an older generation that are fundamentally different from your own?

Not like yours. Many in my family are opposed to the faith and don't believe they need to be saved at all. They definitely don't believe anything to be given to this country because it's so "Christian".

But, even though my faith makes me stand out upon those I've known for the longest, whereas some have even threatened me for believing as I do, I'm all for the faith I've been given of my Father, the Most High because what He's given me is salvation.

I do believe in learning history because it gives a greater understanding to why this world is how it is, and how much it has changed and for what reasons, but only if the Most High commands and shows you the Way.

He's blessed us all in great compassion by sending His Son to die for all our iniquity and to be resurrected before the worthy, that only the worthy may be justified in His life eternal, by faith and believing, and keeping of His commandments, and deserves all of His children's love and fear.

you got whack older generation problems.
they telling you a bunch of bull.
mine was nothing like that.

you need to get some new relatives or something.

We in the states tend to believe everywhere else is just like here...

Hence anybody from somewhere might claim anything and some here are bound to believe it!

Gots my own sources about wherever they were or are from too!

True that....

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back