General Automotive Knowledge & Repair - Monday, 07/21/03 @ 8 pm ET

Discussion in 'Online Classes - Be a Teacher!' started by Destee, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Hello Family,

Brother Hawkkman has graciously offerered to share his 30+ years of experience as an "Automotive Repair Consultant," in voice chat with us ... Monday, July 21st @ 8 pm ET.

I had the pleasure of speaking with our Brother in voice chat last week and was amazed at all the different topics we touched. Brother Hawkkman discussed scheduled maintenance of a vehicle, to how women are often taken advantage of--and how to avoid this, to little tips and tricks regarding repair, to how to save money on your car repairs, to how to tell if Africans are being properly represented in the positions available in your local car dealership, and more! I never thought an automotive chat could be so interesting!

Please do come in and join us on Monday evening, 07/21/03 @ 8 pm ET ... www.destee.com/chat ... bring all of your automotive questions! Brother Hawkkman said he'll have the answer or help find the answer!

:heart:

Destee

2. Nia Maishani

Nia Maishani Well-Known Member MEMBER

Business Owner
    Displaced at the Junction of Hoosiers and Bluegras
    Ratings:
    +1
    Next opportunity for assistance???

Greetings All,

I seem to be unable to make it to the live chat forum when the opportunity is available, to ask an automotive question. At this point, I am DESPERATE to find a solution to my problem. It is a very SIMPLE problem that is causing me MAJOR distress, for I have been unable to find the solution, though I have sought far and wide. I am going to take a chance on posing my question here, with hopes that Brother Hawkkman (or SOMEONE) will see my question here, and respond in virtual time. Here goes:

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage. I did not purchase the car brand new, and I have no clue where the owner's manual might be. Recently, I had to have the battery replaced. Once it was successfully replaced and I was ready to speed off into a lovely evening of listening to my new Ben Harper CD, I was horrified to find that my radio/CD player no longer operated properly!!! This was days ago, and I'm about to snap at this point, as I contacted the dealership, who informed me that I'd have to bring my car in and have them do some tinkering with it that I KNOW DARN WELL I can do MYSELF, instead of paying them a hefty fee to do so.

The screen on the deck says "CODE", and I know how to key in the code, which I found on these little "ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM" cards that I've been carrying in my wallet ever since I bought the car. Problem is that I don't know what to do once I have keyed in the code. The code just sits there on the screen, and the radio still doesn't come on. If I Press the "CD" button after entering the code, the screen then reads "1err" or "err1". If I do this 3 times, it then reads "OFF" until I've driven around for a few hours, after which the screen goes back to reading "CODE".

I was told by three different people, including someone at the dealership, that the Owner's Manual will explain how to reset the code to make the player work. Do I really want to pay the dealership $30 for a manual just for this small problem, especially when they will have to ORDER the manual and I'll have to wait anyway? No, I do not. I cannot seem to find an Owner's Manual ANYPLACE other than the dealership and on ebay.com. I cannot stand to wait that long to receive it for a problem I know can be resolved in a matter of seconds, and I don't have to wait or order anything. If you are able, PLEASE, PLEASE advise me on how to resolve this dilemma. Thank you very much.

Nia M

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Hello Sister Nia ... i forwarded your concern to Brother Hawkkman and this was his response:

Destee

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Hello Sister Nia ... here is his next response:

Destee

5. Nia Maishani

Business Owner
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wow, what a quick response...

Destee,

I don't know how to thank you for your prompt and gracious assistance on this. Also, please forward my gratitude to Brother Hawkkman for his graciousness. I will make it my business to check for the serial number either tonight or tomorrow. I will then post it here. As far as I am aware, the radio has not been replaced (although I could be wrong). It is a factory radio/CD player for certain. Thank you again, Sis. You're a doll.

Nia

6. Nia Maishani

Business Owner
    Ratings:
    +1
    Serial #

Greetings All,

I have located the serial #, and am hopeful that this is my key to listening pleasure in this car.

FA05669A

Many thanks in advance!

:heart: Nia

7. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    I love it

Hawkman
    I stumbled in the class one evening and the information I learned helped me alot.
    Hawkman you were very helpful...the server was down for the last class and I hated it so because I had some questions.It's nice to have a place to come to where our people can get informed about a plethora of topics...(lQQking...........hey I used a BIG word...lol)
    In case you did not know, I appreciate you and all that you do for me and all the others @Destee's discussion forum :heart: