Black Spirituality Religion : Gelede Egbe: Yoruba Women's Sacred Society

Sekhemu

Well-Known Member
REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 9, 2003
6,462
1,060
new jersey
Occupation
priest
QyAccording to Gelede in the Yoruba tradition, it is believed that older women have powers that are equal to or greater than those of the Orisha. The women are referred to as the "mothers" and are elders, ancestors and deities that have special spiritual powers that can be both beneficial, by providing fertility and health, and harmful by causing disaster, which is why the Gelede performances occur. The great grandmothres are also called Orisa Egbe, which means "gods of society." The term egbe also refers to the society of women who can turn into birds and hold secret meetings or observe secret meetings, whether it be secret male initiaion rituals or people in the community.

This concept of "mothers" is fundamentally important in Yoruba society, because without "our mothers," the Yoruba community would not exist in the world. Also, because of their ability to give birth, it is believed that women know the secret of life, therefore possessing the power to bring life into the world, and consequently take it out. This is the female form of Ase which is the power to bring things into existence.

http://academics.smcvt.edu/africanart/Arianne/Gelede%20history%20and%20power.htm
 

Blackbird

Well-Known Member
REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 31, 2004
3,963
1,813
Da Desert, literally
Occupation
Professional Hitman
Sekhemu said:
According to Gelede in the Yoruba tradition, it is believed that older women have powers that are equal to or greater than those of the Orisha. The women are referred to as the "mothers" and are elders, ancestors and deities that have special spiritual powers that can be both beneficial, by providing fertility and health, and harmful by causing disaster, which is why the Gelede performances occur. The great grandmothres are also called Orisa Egbe, which means "gods of society." The term egbe also refers to the society of women who can turn into birds and hold secret meetings or observe secret meetings, whether it be secret male initiaion rituals or people in the community.

This concept of "mothers" is fundamentally important in Yoruba society, because without "our mothers," the Yoruba community would not exist in the world. Also, because of their ability to give birth, it is believed that women know the secret of life, therefore possessing the power to bring life into the world, and consequently take it out. This is the female form of Ase which is the power to bring things into existence.

http://academics.smcvt.edu/africanart/Arianne/Gelede%20history%20and%20power.htm

Ase!!!! Sekhemu

Long time no see. Thank you for info on Gelede egbe and the Iyaami, elder brother.

Blackbird
 

Sekhemu

Well-Known Member
REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 9, 2003
6,462
1,060
new jersey
Occupation
priest
Blackbird said:
Ase!!!! Sekhemu

Long time no see. Thank you for info on Gelede egbe and the Iyaami, elder brother.

Blackbird

Alaafia Blackbird

Modupe, the pleasure is all mine

Odabo
 

Blackbird

Well-Known Member
REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 31, 2004
3,963
1,813
Da Desert, literally
Occupation
Professional Hitman
One thing we need to understand is the wisdom of our ancestors is immense. They have lived on this Earth for thousands of years and were able through those millennia, to establish, perfect and refine a system of living that brought balance and order to their lives. Sometimes, when we look at their system of living from indocrinated, albeit weary Western eyes, we oftimes miss the wisdom inherent. We pick apart certain components in their society, whether it be the Egungun, the Ogboni or even the Babalawos and we assume that our folks saw things through a masculine perspective and flavor. We miss the wealth of examples inherent, in the Yoruba society, for society that refutes any inclination we may have to assume men held an undecidedly higher position. One of my African mentors once remarked, "How can I be better than my own mother?"

Blackbird
 

Sekhemu

Well-Known Member
REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 9, 2003
6,462
1,060
new jersey
Occupation
priest
Blackbird said:
One thing we need to understand is the wisdom of our ancestors is immense. They have lived on this Earth for thousands of years and were able through those millennia, to establish, perfect and refine a system of living that brought balance and order to their lives. Sometimes, when we look at their system of living from indocrinated, albeit weary Western eyes, we oftimes miss the wisdom inherent. We pick apart certain components in their society, whether it be the Egungun, the Ogboni or even the Babalawos and we assume that our folks saw things through a masculine perspective and flavor. We miss the wealth of examples inherent, in the Yoruba society, for society that refutes any inclination we may have to assume men held an undecidedly higher position. One of my African mentors once remarked, "How can I be better than my own mother?"

Blackbird

Well said brotha

The more I learn it seems the less I know.

I'm sure you can appreciate the understanding that the Orishas (male and female) exist inside of us.

That as Eniyan (human beings) we strive to live a life of balanced and gentle character (iwa pele).

Naturally this would include the recognition of the assimilaton and balancing of complimentary forces in nature.

As the saying goes, no nation can rise higher than the status of it's women, or something like that lol
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Amnat77 GELE AND GELEDE BEAUTY AND POWER Black Health and Wellness 3
C Black Spirituality Religion : The Role Of The Egbe Priest in Ifa Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Egbe Akinkonju: Society of Men Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : Yoruba Gods and Goddesses Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Perfection Black People Politics : ↭ßlack ℭuban ∫tudies↭ Ikú and Cuban Nationhood: Yoruba Mythology in the Film Guantanamera Black People Politics 0
Destee African Holiday : Yoruba New Year 2014 Black Events 0
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : Samuel Foli & the Levites: Yoruba Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
river Black Spirituality Religion : Yoruba: The Orisha of Fatherhood? Is there One? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
KingSango Black Spirituality Religion : Yoruba royalty. Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 17
river Black Spirituality Religion : Are There Any Similaities Beween KMT and Yoruba? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 52
Corvo Pan Africanism : Ancestral Masquerade Performances among the Yoruba African American History Culture 0
pamelab The Front Porch : Introduction on to forum - Know of any Yoruba practitioners in Louisiana? The Front Porch 16
Onyemobi Black People : Over-representation of the Akan and Yoruba cultures in the Conscious Community Black People Open Forum 120
Amnat77 Black People : IS THE YORUBA ESHU SAME AS THE CHRISTIAN DEVIL? Black People Open Forum 4
Amnat77 Black Spirituality Religion : YORUBA GIRLS/WOMEN WEAR WAIST BEADS AND THIS IS WHAT IT CULTURALLY MEANS!-FROM GUARDI Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Amnat77 Nigeria : Cutaneous adornment in the Yoruba of south-western Nigeria – past and present Nigeria 1
Ankhur Black People : What Exactly Where the Yoruba Slave Wars???? Black People Open Forum 26
cherryblossom Black Entertainment : Yoruba Women Choir Black Entertainment 1
Amnat77 Black Spirituality Religion : Omo Dada in the yoruba tradition Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Amnat77 Black Spirituality Religion : THE HEBRAIC BIBLICAL MYTHS AND THE YORUBA HISTORICAL NARRATIVES Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 19
Amnat77 African Traditional Religion : ''Tattoos'' in Yoruba Culture - Chief Atanda & Osunyemi African Traditional Religion Study Group 1
Ankhur Black Spirituality Religion : What is the Yoruba concept of the afterlife? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 28
Ankhur Black Spirituality Religion : Did the Yoruba wars have anything to do with Slavery? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 22
A African Traditional Religion : The Yoruba Metaphysical concept of Ori African Traditional Religion Study Group 5
A African Traditional Religion : Yoruba naming ceremony African Traditional Religion Study Group 5
Ankhur Black Spirituality Religion : Are there pretending Yoruba's, as there are in other religions? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 11
Ankhur Black Spirituality Religion : What is the Yoruba understanding of Set or Set-On Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 16
A African Traditional Religion : Yoruba wisdom African Traditional Religion Study Group 49
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Ijo ato Orin: Yoruba dance and song Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Yoruba religious terms Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Yoruba names and their meanings Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Yoruba philosophy of self-development Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 33
A Black Spirituality Religion : Elder Sekhemu - Yoruba African Folktale Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 12
river Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Yoruba Headwrap Tutorial Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 3
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : 1st Nation Mesoamerican and Yoruba Cosmology Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
river Black Spirituality Religion : Do the Yoruba Practice Ritual suicide? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 4
A Black Education / Schools : <<<First Class Free!!! Yoruba, Akan (Twi), Wolof! This week Only>>> Black Education / Schools 0
A Black Education / Schools : Twi, Yoruba and Wolof Language Classes Begin Week of March 31st Black Education / Schools 0
A Black People : Yoruba In Chicago Begins October 8, 2007!!! Black People Open Forum 0
A Black Education / Schools : Free Twi, Yoruba and Wolof Class Next Week!!! Black Education / Schools 2
A African American History Culture : Twi and Yoruba Classes at Malcolm X College in Chicago African American History Culture 0
A Black Education / Schools : Akan (Twi), Yoruba and Wolof Classes Begin Week of August 6th, 2007 Black Education / Schools 12
OmowaleX Cameroon : Origin Myths of Mande, Yoruba and Cameroon Cameroon 5
OmowaleX Black Spirituality Religion : Yoruba In the Diaspora Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 3
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Yoruba Beliefs (spiritual tenets of Ifa) Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 6
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : In-Visibility and Duality of the Civil Rights and Yoruba Movements;1950's-1990's Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Major components of the Yoruba Religion Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Irunmole. Yoruba Primordials Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 8
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : Thirteen Guidlines for Yoruba Self-development Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 9
M Black Spirituality Religion : True Oral Tridition from Africa, Yoruba Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 3
Similar threads


















































Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on beautifulblkw's profile.
Hi Sister!!!! :wave: :wave: :wave: So good to see you! Thanks for coming home! YAAAAAY! :yaay: Much Love and Peace! :love:
Massey Ferguson Tractors and farm implements for Sale in Africa especially in Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Ghana, Nigeria and many more. Our tractor company in Africa having huge stock of brand new tractors and farm implements for tractor dealers.
sekou kasimu wrote on ZIbijah's profile.
Have you read "The Iceman Inheritance: Prehistoric Origins of Western Man's Racism, Sexism, and Aggression"?
$1 Billion Black dollars in 30 days
Destee wrote on Marcchris's profile.
Hi @Marcchris ... Welcome Welcome Welcome!!! :wave: ... Thanks for joining us AND becoming a Premium Member! :cheerleader: ... I am honored. Please make yourself right at home! Much Love and Peace.
Top