Black People : Gays and Diversity

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Nov 11, 2001.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Hello Ediversity,

You mention gays in your forum description as being one of the affected groups. Would you mind explaining this in more detail? I'm of the notion that who one sleeps with isn't evident (necessarily) by looking at them (and who one sleeps with is not, or should not, be public knowledge). I would imagine the fact that marriage between the two is not legal, so it has caused them problems in this regard, by not having the same benefits as other legally married couples.

Just wondering your take on this. Specifically, how is this group hurt by the lack of diversity? Thanks.

2. ediversity

ediversity Member MEMBER

Retired, after 30 years with one employer.
    Have lived in Regina, Saskatchewan-CANADA since 19
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Destee,
    It is not within the scope of this Forum to quantify the complex issues of Gays and diversity. However, in general we can document that this member group are affored the same rights as anyone else, and in this instance not to be discriminated against because of sexual preference.

It seems as though in 2001 "society" has grown tired of the word, tolerance. But that word has just as relevance as ever, particularly in light of the events of September 11, and the subsequent bombings on Afghanistan.

If we reference the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) we will find that the Preamble and practically all 30 of the Articles there can apply specifically to Gays and their rights. And that they have families, friends, and are capable of compassion and love, just like all of us. They are also productive members of communities around the world. The first part of Article 2 hits the nail on the head where it says: "Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin,
    property, birth or other status.

So, sense the UDHR was adopted by all the nations of the world, namely Africa, Asia and Pacific, Central and South America, Europe, International, Middle East, and North America, those judgemental (and uninformed) people would do well to heed the message, and live and let live. See for yourself at: http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/lang/eng.htm

ediversity

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Okay Ediversity ... thank you for your response.

I guess it's because I only know one gay person, personally. We worked together and have been friends for many years. He's an older gentleman, retired, and to hear him talk, he's never experienced any discrimination because of his sexual preference. Perhaps he's just not mentioned that part to me. Come to think of it, I've probably never mentioned any discrimination I've experienced either. I will surely be asking him though, the next time we talk.

I've certainly heard of the "hate" crimes committed against those who live a gay lifestyle. I'm sure they have a lot to do with folk's lack of tolerance in general, for anyone who is different than they are.

I'm going to go visit the link you shared.

Thanks Again.

4. amirah

amirah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Enlightenment needed

to understand why "tolerance" has become the buzzword. I've heard it so much, expecially since Sept. 11th. I think that the whole melting pot theory (which we no longer really mention) was about tolerance. Then, it was sorta changed to something like a "stir-fry" where everything is mixed in together and nothing loses its uniqueness or individuality...although that's never really taken place in society, or at least not in MY experience.
    Maybe we should try to come up with a new word..I don't know...that implies appreciation and respect..tolerance just sounds like something that you do to flies at a picnic....

This has been something that I've been wondering about as far as how others view it...maybe it's just me...

As I see it, a part of our country's internal mess is because they have been tolerating us--not respecting, not valuing, just allowing us to take up space and contribute to the economy... and we (African Americans and others) are also not blameless in that many had little interest in others' cultures until we thought they might actually be a threat to American way of life. Now, all of a sudden people are claiming to be genuinely interested in others..:confused: :confused:
    Do think anything's changed or is it perhaps a way of learning enough to protect yourself..You know like," Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer" type of thing?
    Diversity is something that interests me for personal and professional reasons. Thanks for letting me go off for a minute..look forward to reading more.

5. ediversity

ediversity Member MEMBER

Retired, after 30 years with one employer.
    Have lived in Regina, Saskatchewan-CANADA since 19
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is 'Value' the word we are looking for?

Greetings amirah,

Perhaps, 'value' is the word we are looking for here. I don't think any of us have to look up the meaning of 'value' in the English dictionaries. In my opinion, it embodies all that we hold dear. If I 'value' you as a person, for example, I have therefore bought into the notion that I also respect you (under "normal" acceptable behavior). So, my tolerance of you, your culture, and your opinions becomes an attribute with some real meaning...don't you think?

But, there are those who would place levels of 'value' on their perceptions of other cultures...but ah, there's the rub. Those folks are then guilty of judging other's according to their experiences, and fears, and not education...and that means trouble.

ediversity