Black People : Gas in America

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by kente417mojo, Feb 20, 2004.

1. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    What do you guys think about the B/S going on with the gas prices. In Cali regular unleaded 87 is around $2.10 per gallon. I know we are in different states, but do you guys feel it too? I'm not sure what the prices are like in your respective states and cities, but what do you think? Also, do you think anything can ever be done to battle these money hungry
    A-holes??? :flame:

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Where I am, New Jersey, gas is in the $1.45-1.75 range (depending on where you go). I know in my home state of Illinois, gas also hovers in the $2 range. I don't know what you can do Kente471mojo. You can write letters of protest, but you can't boycott, unless you are willing to give up your car. A car pool boycott, might put a little squeeze on gas stations, but as you know car pools are inconvienent. The ultimate thing we have to do is vote this Oil Mongul, War Mongering, Election Stealing, GW Bush out of office!! :censored: That will probably help gas prices!.

3. phenomenalwoman

phenomenalwoman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10
    I agree with pan africa completely. It boils down to if you want to get from point a to point b you are going either have to walk, drive or take public transportation. I think our best option is to get out and vote in November. We have to get Dubya out of office.

4. Abyssinia

Abyssinia Member MEMBER

college student working on my B.A. in Graphic Desi
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only $2.10 per gallon? Even $1.45-1.75 would be fine with me. I guess I am unaware of what inexpensive really is, huh? Over here in North Carolina, our gas is about $4-$4.50 a gallon, and that's only for the unleaded. The price goes higher. It was really bad during the War on Terrorism recently.

How much do you think gas should really cost?

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    $4.50 a gallon? OMG!! That is sick! People is N. Carolina generally make less than in California & Illinois, so I don't know how ya'll can afford that? If I lived out there, I'd definately take the bus.

To address Er_tep's comment, walking is not an option for everyone. I work 40 miles from where I live, so I have to drive.

6. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    this may sound a little disingenuous, but i agree w both bro pan & er_:
    yes, we definitely nd 2 vote dubya out of office 4 reasons 2 numerous 2 mention here, and, yes, we nd 2 b more self reliant n seeking a solution 2 price gouging on any consumer product, b it gas (from crude oil, or natural gas, which also made a serious jump), electricity, water, or something else. i ? how much of a real concern gas prices r 2 the population n general.

how much of a consideration is it when they buy homes at considerable distances from where they will b likely 2 work, shop, and seek entertainment? where does gas milage rank n vehicle selection? at times on the highway i seem 2 b surrounded by suv's, trucks, and luxury cars. & i still rarely, f ever, get the impression that a significant portion of the population realizes that, there is a limited amount of crude oil, and, it will b exhausted at some point in the forseeable future. i don't c much pressure being applied 2 the manufacturers demanding more fuel efficient cars, nstead, exactly the opposite mesege seems 2 b being sent, namely, 'i want the one closest 2 being a house on wheels'. f the current trend continues, highway lanes may nd 2 b expanded.

i jus think, waitin 4 the oil companies 2 lower prices is like waiting 4 a rattlesnake 2 committ suicide, & just about as likely. we may not b able 2 eliminate our dependance, but we will surely nd 2 employ creativity, innovation, & persistance n our quest to reduce it. i like the idea of walking part of the way 2 work, or whereva. i have resumed riding my bike to the closest supermarket (1 mile each way) to pick up small items specifically b/c of the hikes occurring this year. w/o an effective method of retaliation, there is little reason 2 xpect change, xcept n the ever higher direction from these highway robber barons.

7. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    Rigt On!!!!

I'm in Arkansas and Gas is about 1.57 per gallon here and climbing.
    I agree something needs to be done, but I know I can't carpool because I have a family, but I am open to any other ideas anyone may have because this is sad.

8. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Is anyone paying ATTENTION?

Forget about comparing the price of gas, is anyone paying attention to what Brother Alkebulan is raising? This makes a lot of sense to me and it actually ties into what I was thinking recently as I scanned several other threads that discussed issues within the Black community. How much are we concerned about the price of gas or any other commodity where prices are skyrocketing, like food for example.

People are buying bigger and bigger cars, monstrous homes, and getting jobs farther away from where they live. We buy groceries from a mega food chain that's usually in one of those new mall set-ups. People are becoming more and more dependent on the latest technology and manufactured products and suddenly life isn't as simple to live anymore. Our neighborhoods have changed drastically and to the tune that many of us don't realize just how dependent we are on others to provide our very basic needs.

It's a wonder they don't start selling "clean" air. Oops...I forgot, we are buying clean air aren't we? When companies have to comply with environmental safety laws and take measures to reduce or eliminate pollution, silly me, how could I forget that the cost of their compliance is passed on to the consumer along with some usage tax/fee.

How much of our lifestyle or living condition do we really have control of? Can you control where you live, what you drive, where you work and how you obtain the food you eat and where you get your clothes? If you work outside the home, do you know what the total percentage of your income goes toward taxes? How much control do you have over the cost of healthcare? You think the cost of gas is high and getting higher? What about the cost of electricity or clean water? What about telecommunications vis-a-vis your cable and telephone bill? Have you really closely inspected your phone/cable bill and read the small print? Have you thought about how nutritious the food we buy in these mega food store chains really is. Even though food prices have skyrocketed, because we're now importing a larger portion from other countries, the quality of the food is declining because the longer fruits and vegetables are off the vine, the less nutritious they are. You buy them then you take them home and set them in your refrigerator or counter top for days on end and more nutrients are lost. So what you end up eating is mostly fiber and fewer vitamins and minerals. No wonder Americans can't seem to fight off certain diseases because our immune systems are deficient. But look at what we're paying for food these days while American farmers are a dying breed.

I'm stepping off the soapbox now but what I wanted to say was that the price of gas is just one of the symptoms of a much bigger problem that's spreading worldwide and if African Americans don't wake up, stop being blind consumers and become more conscious about how things we do often perpetuates our problems, then we're going to get more of the same.

America is trying to remain in the #1 slot in this global competition and it NEEDS us...you and me...to make that happen. America has built a new slave system and created a new kind of slave. . . it's called blind obedience and consumer slaves. The powers that be in America don't like African Americans any more now than it did when we were nothing more than chattel, shuffling along shackled and chained, but they never lied when they coined the phrase "Uncle Same needs YOU!" So figure out how much you're worth to them and how much you're going to sell yourself for.

Peace :spinstar:

9. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Hello everyone, man those were some very good points. To answer Abyssinia's question, I think gas should be no more than $1.50. But there are very good points, basically saying that the gas prices lowering is a lost cause. I don't think they will ever lower the prices because they don't feel any pressure to do so. I wish I could walk or carpool to work. Everyone knows the public transportaion in Cali sucks like no other, so that's out the door. Queen, I really agree with you also. We make ourselves part of the problem by our actions as blind consumers. I've believed that for a long time and I do try to keep from having to buy the latest everything because that does get very costly. It works too. As far as the gas, I need to find out a way to cut my cost, that's why I raised this question. I'm ok now because I don't work very far from home, but I do see the difference in what I get at the pump now. If the gas starts going any higher I will really start to see it and feel it. That price in North Carolina is rediculous. I think we all agree that we want Satan out of office. I hope that will do something to make the gas problem better. We can only hope, because it's true, if they want to stay in office, they can't piss off the big boys. Guess we'll have to wait and see.