Black People : :Funny Graphs Show Correlation Between Completely Unrelated Stats

Liberty

BANNED
Aug 28, 2015
We experience the world in a time-oriented manner through cause and effect. First Lucy ate that white berry, then she became sick. First I hit Bob's foot with a hammer, then his foot swelled with a purple bruise. I conclude that eating the white berry is what actually made Lucy sick later. I conclude that being hit with a hammer is what later caused Bob's foot to swell. It is logical enough on the surface. Often, it seems clear--absolutely clear--that a specific action caused a second event to happen. This is what is known as causation. Many events appear to be the results brought about by identifiable causes, and the human mind is geared to look for these cause/effect relationships.

We get into trouble when the mind seeks or creates an artificial cause/effect relationship that doesn't actually exist. After something especially beneficial or harmful occurs, we want to know what caused it. We tend to focus on the first action we noticed before the effect, then assume that it must have been the catalyst triggering the later event. Nine times out of ten, we're right. It was the white berry that made Lucy sick. It was true that hitting a foot with a hammer makes that foot swell and bruise. That makes us lazy intellectually; we forget that, one time out of ten, we pick the wrong cause. In Latin, this type of logical mistake is called the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, which means "After this, therefore because of this." It's the idea that any event which happened first must be the particular event that caused a good or bad event later, and once we find a possible answer we tend to snatch hold of it and then stop thinking about other possibilities.

For example, suppose the fall term of classes ends in December. The manager of a toystore in the local mall hires one new worker. This worker is a college student named Stacy. She wants to do some work before spring term classes start. After Stacy is hired, the store's sales shoot up by 300%. "Wow!" the manager says to herself, "That Stacy is a fantastic sales worker! I haven't hired anyone else but Stacy. Still, since we hired her, our sales have tripled! I'd better give her a raise!" Is the manager's conclusion logical? Is it true that Stacy must be fantastic at her job?

Read more

https://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/logic_causation.html

Liberty

BANNED
Aug 28, 2015
https://destee.com/threads/funny-graphs-show-correlation-between-completely-unrelated-stats.86988/

Spurious-Correlations-01-685x432.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Black Poetry : She was wit a boy on fourth of July desire to flirt in a way that was fireworks may even require a twerk she here in Walmart in a mini-skirt no funny Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
R Black Poetry : Everyone want money and hope folks think that's a funny joke so they laugh clear their throat girls Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
HODEE Black Jokes Humor : STILL FUNNY!!! Black Jokes Humor 0
R Black Poetry : Got a wet thirst and things could get worse in this car, a honey // with charm not a funny farm pan Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : Got a wet thirst and things could get worse in this car, a honey // with charm not a funny farm pant Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Liberty Black People : The Term ‘White Tears’ Is Funny, but What It Often Leads to Isn’t Black People Open Forum 1
R Black Poetry : HE SAID: This begin funny try win money this morning a brisk warning That I may get lucky but can’ Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
shaka64 Black People : News Reporter swallows bug then loses it. Funny! Black People Open Forum 3
Alarm Clock Black Entertainment : Do You think Key and Peele are funny??? Black Entertainment 13
CosmicMessenger Audio Video Web Conferencing : Stanley Clarke & George Duke - Funny How Times Flies Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Keita Kenyatta Black Jokes Humor : It Ain't So Funny When.... Black Jokes Humor 2
Indigo Blues Black People : Check This Out! Too Funny!!!!!! Black People Open Forum 4
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Kevin Hart Seriously Funny: Grandpop Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
I Black Jokes Humor : Funny pics from India Black Jokes Humor 4
Full Speed Black Jokes Humor : Laugh at them -It's stupid, but FUNNY. Black Jokes Humor 4
Amnat77 Black People : Funny smell coming from people after turning Vegan Black People Open Forum 10
L Black People : Something Negatively Funny Black People Open Forum 11
D Black People : About half of you are racist and that's pretty funny Black People Open Forum 40
SpiritualONE Black People : Danger, Free, and Funny!!! Black People Open Forum 0
R Black People : Jackee Harry an Trisha Mann in this video too funny Black People Open Forum 0
N Black People : This is funny Black People Open Forum 3
Kamau47 Black People : If This Wasn't So Serious, It Would Be Funny! Black People Open Forum 24
N Black Jokes Humor : This is funny Black Jokes Humor 2
Zulile Black Jokes Humor : not funny Black Jokes Humor 2
nevar Black Poetry : Isn't it funny how you think I've betrayed you...somebody have told you wrong... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
R Black Poetry : The streets funny and like to keep money in hustler’s hand Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
T Black Short Stories : Media Hypocracy-Short funny play Short Stories - Authors - Writing 1
R Black Poetry : SOME FUNNY *** PUNCHLINES Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
S Black People : South Park satirizes the N-word...racist or funny? Black People Open Forum 7
kente417mojo Black Jokes Humor : This isn't a joke, but it's funny Black Jokes Humor 2
Khasm13 Khasm13 : some more funny ish.... Khasm13 6
I Black Poetry : Freaks come out at night- funny i guess Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
L James from philly is funny Black Men 11
D Black Jokes Humor : This is long, but too funny not to share!!! Black Jokes Humor 6
A Black Jokes Humor : Give your input: Is this satirically funny or an insult to interacial relations? Black Jokes Humor 11
Destee Black Jokes Humor : This is funny! Black Jokes Humor 6
L Black People : KHASM loooool that advantar of you is ..is is, funny, deep Black People Open Forum 3
B Black Jokes Humor : just a funny or two or three Black Jokes Humor 3
M Black Poetry : Flowed funny when I owed money got my car towed Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
SpiritualONE Black People : The TRUTH!!!!!It's Funny Too!!!!!! Black People Open Forum 3
E Black Jokes Humor : few funny animals ;) Black Jokes Humor 2
D Black Poetry : Isnt it funny Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 16
HODEE Black People : BUSHISM's Some funny POLITICAL HUMOR Black People Open Forum 0
M Black Poetry : Some Funny Punch Lines Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Family Funny poeticly yes man & shadow Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 17
daroc Black Jokes Humor : "funny" cartoon Black Jokes Humor 6
kente417mojo Black Poetry : It's funny (Patriot style) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
SpiritualONE Black People : Funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Black People Open Forum 6
L Black Jokes Humor : i dont know if this is funny ...but i,m going to give it a try Black Jokes Humor 3
Bluewater Black Poetry : ???? What’s So Funny ???? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8