Black People : FUNERALS ARE UNNCESSARY

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oceolo, Jun 30, 2005.

1. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    Why do people spend several thousands of dollars for a funeral service ,flowers,a casket and a headstone when their love ones die ? Wouldnt it make much more sense to cremate the body and then hold a gathering of friends and family at your home to share memories of the bereaved? It seems like we are conditioned by our culture to have a an expensive funeral in order to show our love and affection for the dearly departed and supposedly the more expensive the funeral the more love we have for that person. All funerals ultimately do is fatten the pockets of funeral directors.

2. Garlando

Garlando Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Well

Since the begining of time we have had ceremonies for the dead if we were to trace back history. But I agree that some people get extreme. But this maybe at the dearly departed request how they want there funeral. My opinion funerals are necessary. :wink:

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I agree completely, Funeral Directors prey on the grief of the family. If you are dead, you're dead. What does it matter how you are buried. A dead body doesn't know the difference between a $5000 coffin and a $15000 coffin. People go bankrupt paying for a funeral then they only visit the cemetary once a year for the 1st few years, then never again. Over time cemetaries are not respected anyway, most tombstones are knocked over and built over. Has anyone ever thought about how long the Earth has been around and how many people have died? What happened to all those bodies? Your standing on them (unless you're on the 2nd floor..LOL)!! There is no such thing as sacred ground! Cemetaries are prime Real Estate, which will someday be built on...that is a guarantee! If one really want to honor their family members who have passed, cremation and putting the ashes in an urn is a more beautiful way to do so. That way people are truly remembering their ancestors on a daily basis. They take them with them when they move. You also don't burden your family with expensive funeral cost!

4. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Well, I'm used to the traditional burial ceremony, not putting someone's ashes into an urn (unless they requested it before they died). And even with a minimal ceremony (like my dad had), it will cost a little bit of money.

However, I agree that spending thousands upon thousands is senseless unless you're rich already.

5. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    Truthfully.. ive often thought this was too extravagant.. I wish to be cremated.. and either crushed and compressed into a "Hope diamond" which is a labratory creted diamond.. made of the ashes of you love one.. or shot up in the air in a firecracker.. so my ashes can travel to places my eyes were never able to see. Maximum cost.. 1500 dollars.. and ill leave that much in my bank account to cover the bill.

6. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    It's said that funerals are for the living and I completely agree.

My husband and I have agreed that we want simple funerals and since I don't want to burden our children our life insurance will pay for them.

your standing on sacred ground sentence gave me the willies,

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    it's nice and save money but we believe in the way to pay our deepest
    respect is give them a nice going home celebration.......less they request
    to be cremated .......but i never felt or feel it's worthless to have a nice
    ceremony for your love one's

some it may not be and some it is ...........but no matter which way a
    family choose i honor it and respect it but cremation just not our thing
    we burn long enough no need to stick a family member in the well of fire
    PEACE......

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    If I'm cremated, I'll be the 1st in my family to have this done. With the cost of funerals, tradition doesn't make sense.

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    It is the truth...where my parents live in Maryland, a new housing development with $1 million+ homes have been built over a cementary. The happy new home owners don't know that, but they are living over dead bodies.

10. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486

- I agree

"Let the dead bury the dead"

unless you are going to mummify the body to secure a safe passage, then what is the cents in the funeral?...................