Black People : Full text of the Health Care Bill

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ankhur, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
  2. awo dino

awo dino Well-Known Member MEMBER

carpenter, anthropologist, teacher. Right now I te
    Ratings:
    +1,258
    I read it in full and analyzed each paragraph. Trust me, it's a great deal.

3. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Hispanic Groups Urge Congress To Vote No On The Health Care Legislation

|Medicare cuts, employer mandates will negatively target low-income minorities.

WASHINGTON, March 19 /PRNewswire-HISPANIC PR WIRE/

— Hispanic groups wrote a second letter to congressional leaders to raise their concerns about provisions in the current health care bill that negatively targets minority communities. They believe that the current legislation will have a disproportionately negative impact on low-income minority groups and will lead to Medicare cuts for Hispanic seniors, increase in taxes for Hispanic small businesses and reduced wages for Hispanic workers. Congress has failed to listen to their concerns.

Hispanic companies, driven by small businesses, are among the fastest-growing business segments in the United States, growing more than three times faster than the national average. Employer mandates would be an added expense to these Hispanic small businesses as well as lead to lower wages for Hispanic workers. The individual mandate will be a burden on all Americans. Capital investment in new and established businesses will fall under the tax scheme proposed in the reconciliation language.

The Medicare Advantage cuts will negatively and disproportionately target Hispanic seniors. 80% of Hispanic seniors making less than $20,000 per year are on Medicare Advantage. These cuts will force low income, minority seniors out of their current plans into a traditional Medicare program with higher costs and fewer benefits.

full article;
    http://theamericano.com/2010/03/19/...ss-to-vote-no-on-the-health-care-legislation/

Democracy Now March 19, 2010

AMY GOODMAN: Clarissa Martinez De Castro in Washington, I wanted to go back to that issue of healthcare. It’s very significant. You’ve come out with a statement yesterday. Why do you feel the healthcare reform bill does not help the most vulnerable immigrants in this country?

CLARISSA MARTINEZ DE CASTRO: Well, we—granted, we understand that the fight over healthcare is very difficult. We also believe that one of the purposes should be to remove the structural barriers to those people who are having a hard time either obtaining healthcare or obtaining quality healthcare. In the case of the Latino community, we have one of the largest uninsured populations. And we feel that there was a real opportunity here to right a wrong that was done in the past, where we started treating legal immigrants and US citizens as if they were different classes of people. There was a real opportunity to do that. We know that many folks try to manipulate the immigration issue to block healthcare reform. This is a recurring problem and, there again, one of the reasons why we need to do immigration reform.

But there was—but instead of standing strong on principles of healthcare reform, what we saw was that instead of undoing that wrong that prevents legal immigrants who are contributing to our society from that being treated differently, that that stayed in there. So there was an opportunity to do that, to remove structural barriers that had been artificially created, and instead of that, they stayed in place, and we added some others.

Clarissa Martinez De Castro, Director of Immigration and National Campaigns at the National Council of La Raza.

full article;
    http://www.democracynow.org/2010/3/19/hundreds_of_thousands_expected_to_gather

4. bientempo

bientempo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Dominican Republic
    Ratings:
    +165
    Are you aka Nancy Pelosi, or Harry Reid???

5. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    no reason for name calling,

brother!!!!

6. awo dino

Ratings:
    +1,258
    It was a joke

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother Ankhur ... Brother Bientempo did not call anyone a name. He asked a question, and it wasn't even to you.

No ... Brother Bientempo and Family ... there was no violation here.

:heart:

Destee

8. awo dino

Ratings:
    +1,258
    So we should deny coverage to millions of U.S. children in solidarity with illegal aliens?
    That's ridiculous. We need to pass the bill, and then over time fix it. That's the only way. I have been an advocate for farmworkers, 80% of which are "illegal immigrants." My parents had us doing volunteer work with that community since i was a child. I worked Five years on a research project aimed at improving conditions for farmworkers. As an graduate student my research was on "economic migration (among other things. So no one can tell me I am insensitive to the plight of illegal immigrants. This bill is not the place for that discussion. I salute Ms. Martinez
    for her work, but she is wrong. This bill cannot be held up for I fight on immigration policy. It is not fair to the rest of us. As far as the arguments posed as effects of the legislation, they are unfounded, republican lies. For example,the biggest impediment to small businesses hiring more workers is the high cost of health care. This bill will immediately put in effect a tax break for small businesses to encourage not only the provision of health insurance to workers but incentives for hiring new workers. So the idea that the bill will hurt small business goes against both logic and reality. All the sentences below that include the word "will" are bs, and contrary to the actual research. they have no research of their own, and are pathetic republican attempts at fear mongering. The National Council of La Raza is a myopic organization willing to use republican bs to further there own agenda.

9. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    the source was Democracy now

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    It's a good plan will it push the over all health care into the Red zone and maybe 60 billion in the rear ?