Science and Technology : FUD: Lies, [email protected] Lies and Statistics

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by anAfrican, Jan 6, 2006.

1. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    i'm rather hesitant to try to point out articles about the vulnerabilities in microsoft products. on the one hand, i'd be here all day. on the other, i'd have to deal with the responses from people that haven't spent over 20 years buried in the innards of puters.

and, yet, on another hand; not trying to point out the vulnerablities, and solutions/alternatives, to something as dangerous to privacy as the microsoft platform is highly irresponsible. and most definitely does not fit under the heading of "showing love for my family".

this is a "rebuttal" on this year's "software vulnerability list". as always, the list is skewed to show microsoft out on top. but there is a catch; many of the "vulnerabilities" listed for other operating systems are listed multiple times. further, there are a lot more variants of "unix" than there are of windows, but those are the two categories listed. <sigh> the FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) continues ...

for even more fun; here are a couple of "amusing" blog entries regarding some of the insecurity of windows:

DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK THAT THESE BLOGS TELL YOU NOT TO CLICK ON IF YOU ARE RUNNING INTERNET EXPLORER ON ANY FLAVOR OF WINDOWS!!! YOUR COMPUTER WILL BE IMPACTED!! IT WILL NOT BE PRETTY!! THE EXPLOIT DOES WORK!

What Part of Virus and Spyware Didn’t You Understand?

Helios Extracts Microsoft Stupid Tax From Windows User

here is the current Twenty Most Critical Internet Security Vulnerabilities (Updated) at the SANS Institute. it might not be a bad idea to spend an afternoon browsing through this list, as well as the pointers to methods to mitigate these issues.