Black Spirituality Religion : From Your Understanding How Long Was Jesus On Earth After He Was Resurrection?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by asmith161718, Jan 20, 2012.

1. asmith161718

asmith161718 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +158
    Wow. I just came across the Apocryphon of John for the first time and according to that text Jesus walked on earth for over a year after he was resurrected. I'm not a bible scholar so I just assumed that he went to Heaven immediately after resurrection. This could also support the Mormon texts that Jesus came to the Americas after the resurrection.

From your biblical understanding how long did Jesus stayed on Earth after he was resurrected?

2. asmith161718

Ratings:
    +158
    Sorry. It was not the Apocryphon of John where Jesus was said to have been on Earth for over a year it was the Apocryphon Of James.

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......The Mormon texts? And what are you specifically citing from the LDS to conclude this interesting statement?

In order to be on topic, I'll say this; you don't have to be a Bible scholar to find the answer, it's contained in the scriptures.

Peace In,

4. rapunzal24

rapunzal24 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    From my understanding He was on earth for 40 days after His resurrection, although he appeared many times before the apostles it seemed as if it was a come and go kind of thing. I am going to have to look through my bible more, this is an excellent question.

5. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    lo, the Savior appeared, after departing from us while we gazed after him. And five hundred and fifty days since he had risen from the dead, we said to him, "Have you departed and removed yourself from us?" But Jesus said, "No, but I shall go to the place from whence I came. If you wish to come with me, come!"
    They all answered and said, "If you bid us, we come."

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/jam.html

Is this understanding (Gnostic text) 'biblical' or would it be considered 'extra-biblical'?

How would this understanding confirm the Mormon gospel in regards to Jesus appearing in America, and who in America at that time would have confirmed his appearance? According to what pre-Columbian texts? Is there any evidence of these appearances?

6. asmith161718

Ratings:
    +158
    In the Book Of Mormon 3 Nephi Jesus appeared to the people in the Americas and blessed/baptised a group of children from the fires of heaven.

7. asmith161718

Ratings:
    +158
    From wikipedia...The book of 3 Nephi is of particular importance within the Book of Mormon because it contains an account of a visit by Jesus from heaven to the Americas sometime after his resurrection and ascension. The text says that during this American visit, he repeated much of the same doctrine and instruction given in the Gospels of the Bible and he established an enlightened, peaceful society which endured for several generations, but which eventually broke into warring factions again.

8. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587

I know but in the BOM it talks about Him descending from heaven numerous times to teach the Nephites. I don't think this is the same as him walking among the people after the resurrection. To the Mormons he keep ascending and descending. He even takes some of the Nephites to heaven but instructs them to not record their experiences.

9. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587

Have you actually read 3 Nephites chapter 11?

I read somewhere that the dating of this account is about 100 ad. This is 67 years after his death. So, when was his first resurrection, and how does the Mormon account fit according to biblical chronology?

I actually used to attend the Mormon temple on occasion in Los Angeles and have thought of these same questions for years so excuse my questioning. You may be correct. I am just trying to piece this together from a historical standpoint.

I know the place in question was Zerahemla but where was this located? The early Nephites were supposed to have had most of their early settlements destroyed but earthquakes and other calamities.

10. asmith161718

Ratings:
    +158
    Be blessed brother and excuse my naivity about Mormonism. I have only serious began to read some texts these past several months. I'm still trying to absorb it all. I am aware that a lot of people question the truthfullness of the book of Mormon