Black People Politics : From Plantation to Penitentiary to the Prison-Industrial Complex

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
by H. Bruce Franklin

(Paper delivered at the Modern Language Association Convention, December, 2000.)

The prison looms today as a central feature of American society. Since 1976, we have been building on average one prison every week. More than two million Americans are now crammed into the nation's still overcrowded jails and prisons. In fact, there are now about as many prisoners in America as there are farmers. Over half of those incarcerated are people of color. More than four million Americans, again mainly people of color, have been permanently disenfranchised because of felony convictions, many under laws enacted explicitly to prevent African-Americans from voting. (1) Studies have shown that this disenfranchisement has had a significant impact on the outcome of presidential and senate elections prior to 2000. (2) We need no detailed studies to show the direct impact of this disenfranchisement on the most recent national election. Prior to November 2000, one third of the African-American men in Florida were convicted as felons and then stripped of their right to vote, while thousands more were purged from the voting rolls as alleged felons by fiat of a corporation hired by Governor Jeb Bush. If only a small percentage of Florida's 204,000 disenfranchised male African-American citizens (not to mention the other 200,000 disenfranchised ex-felons in Florida) had been allowed to vote in 2000, even the U.S. Supreme Court could not have installed George W. Bush as President of the United States.

1. From Plantation to Penitentiary to the Prison-Industrial Complex:
    http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~hbf/MLABLACK.htm - 16k - Cached - Similar pages
    From Plantation to Penitentiary to the Prison-Industrial Complex: Literature of the American Prison. by H. Bruce Franklin. (Paper delivered at the Modern ...

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
Hello Brothers and Sisters.
The Prison Industrial Complex also known as slavery keeps me awake at night. I'm angry that today there are still slaves.
How do we progress any further than we have, when the white man still holds some of us as slaves.
HOW DO WE MOVE ON WITH SLAVERY IN THE MIST?
WHAT CAN/WILL WE DO?

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
23 cents an hour: The perfectly legal slavery happening in modern-day America

If you thought slavery was outlawed in America, you would be wrong. The 13th amendment to the Constitution states that “neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.”

In plain language, that means slavery in America can still exist for those who are in prison, where you basically lose all of your rights. (You don’t gain a lot of your rights back when you get out of prison, either, but that is a different story.) So, given the country’s penchant for rapacious capitalism, it may not come as a surprise that there is much of the American prison system that exploits American prisoners much like slaves.

cents an hour: The perfectly legal slavery happening in modern ...http://www.salon.com/2015/07/07/23_...very_happening_in_modern_day_america_partner/ - 200k - Cached - Similar pages

The Prison Industrial Complex In The Evolution of Slavery | Bernell ...
http://www.academia.edu/6388464/The_Prison_Industrial_Complex_In_The_Evolution_of_Slavery - 432k - Cached - Similar pages

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
5 Ways The U.S. Prison Industrial Complex Mimics Slavery

1. Incarcerated Individuals (Who Are Mostly People Of Color) Are Legally The Property Of The Government
2. Prisoners Are Leased To Private Companies For Mandatory Labor

3. Prisoners Work And Live In Inhumane Conditions

4. Prisoners Are Paid Next To Nothing While Corporations Profit Huge Amounts Off Of Their Labor

5. The System Dehumanizes Incarcerated Individuals

For those who need a refresher, "the prison-industrial complex" refers to the overlapping interests of the government and private companies in mass incarceration, and the fundamental relationship between punishment and commerce. In America, imprisoned individuals are forced to work for corporations. And the way in which they are thrown into this labor echoes the kind of slavery we learned about in our history books — the kind of slavery Lamar depicted at the Grammys.

In his song "The Blacker the Berry," Kendrick Lamar proclaims, "I said they treat me like a slave, cah' me black / Woi, we feel a whole heap of pain, cah' we black." He continues on with, "They put me in a chain." Some may hear this as nothing more than imagery, but it's a reality for millions of black people who are incarcerated.

5 Ways The U.S. Prison Industrial Complex Mimics Slavery | Bustle
http://www.bustle.com/articles/142340-5-ways-the-us-prison-industrial-complex-mimics-slavery - 149k - Cached - Similar pages

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
How do we address this issue of slavery?
What will we do?
How do we talk about economic empowerment when A large number of us are still used in Slavery.

Why does this issue receive such little media attention.

As for my thoughts Private Prisons are a major problem.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Viola Davis Just Bought the Former Plantation Where She Was Born African American History Culture 1
Perfection Black People Politics : ╟ѕтυdιeѕ in early black enslavement╢Black Health on the Plantation: Owners, Enslaved & Physicians Black People Politics 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : bannon-says-democrats-have-plantation-mentality Black People Politics 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : I used to lead tours at a plantation. You won’t believe the questions I got about slavery African American History Culture 10
frankster Black People Politics : Plantation Slavery still here in the USA Black People Politics 0
ASHANTA Black Poetry : I, Too, Sing America O, God To Thee, The Plantation I Worked Gave Me My Deed Oh Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
RAPTOR Black People : The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: White American Solidarity for the Corporate Plantation Black People Open Forum 2
RAPTOR Black People : Stephen A Smith: Lapdog for White Supremacy on the American Corporate Plantation Black People Open Forum 58
RAPTOR Black People : US Court of Appeals: The Internet is a Plantation, With Comcast, Verizon, AT&T Its Masters Black People Open Forum 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The SLave/Classroom plantation AACOOLDRE 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : 7-Eleven Stores Operated 'Modern Day Plantation System,' Feds Claim Black People Open Forum 5
dunwiddat African American History Culture : Working on a Plantation African American History Culture 9
Ankhur Zambia : China; playing the plantation Lord game in Zambia Zambia 23
S Black People : The Cotton Pickin Truth... Still on the Plantation Black People Open Forum 4
A African American History Culture : A Creole Plantation? African American History Culture 35
Desert Storm Black Poetry : Louisiana Plantation Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 36
G Black People : Plantation politics in Black and White, by Hon. Alton Maddox Black People Open Forum 7
Destee Black People : The Last Plantation - Blacks on Capital Hill Black People Open Forum 1
G Black People : THE BLACK MAN'S KRYPTONITE IS THE GOD-CONCEPT THAT HE WAS FED ON HELL PLANTATION Black People Open Forum 3
1poetsought Black Poetry : The New Plantation 666 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
alyce Black Haiku : Sundays & Jubilees (Plantation Scene) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
T Black Short Stories : Penitentiary Muslim Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
cherryblossom Black Entertainment : Penitentiary Black Entertainment 1
P Black Poetry : Penitentiary Struggle.... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
A Black Poetry : Penitentiary UP Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
A Black Poetry : Penitentiary UP Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
C Black People : Are We To Accept The Notion That COVID-19 Does Not Make Jail And Prison Visit??? Black People Open Forum 1
MintyMoses Black People : How Black America Can Free Itself From The Prison-Industrial Complex Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Jails / Prisons : US government gave Nation of Islam hundreds of thousands of dollars to teach federal prison inmates Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Perfection Law Forum : In Context Series: Black Women's Prison Narratives and the Intersection of Race, Gender Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Pastor John Gray among black ministers receive backlash for meeting with Trump on prison reform Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
IFE Black People : What Would You Do? Would you accept funding form private prison profits Black People Open Forum 3
IFE Premium Members Only : Mass Incarceration, Private Prisons, Prison Industrial Complex Premium Members Only 35
Mister Aten Black Parenting : Prof. Griff- Why Denzell Washington said "Prison System Not to Blame for Crime in Black Communities" Black Parenting 0
IFE Law Forum : Private prison company moves annual conference to Trump golf course Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
IFE Black Education / Schools : School To Prison Pipeline Black Education / Schools 0
Kemetstry Jails / Prisons : DYLANN ROOF ASSAULTED AND RAPED IN PRISON Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 6
jamesfrmphilly Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : prison-bae-jeremy-meeks-deported-during-modeling-trip-to-u-k Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 0
Senegal Jails / Prisons : Racists Get Double Digit Years in Prison Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 6
IFE Jails / Prisons : The Private Prison Industry Is Licking Its Chops Over Trump's Deportation Plans Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 8
Queenie Law Forum : Heartbreaker--Black men in prison Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 4
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : jay-z-want rikers-prison-shut-down Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : man-awarded-6m-after-spending-24-years-in-prison-for-wrongful-conviction Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : U.S. inmates strike in what activists call one of the biggest prison protests in modern history Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
IFE Law Forum : Man who fired gunshot at George Zimmerman sentenced to 20 years in prison for attempted murder Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 4
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : inmates-riot-to-protest-prison-conditions Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 5
IFE Black People Politics : Private Prison Stocks Crash On News DOJ To Phase Out Their Use Black People Politics 1
IFE Black People Politics : Michael Jordan: The Nike Prison Industrial Complex Connection Black People Politics 8
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : Black Children Kicked Out Of Preschool And Into Prison Pipeline Black Education / Schools 11
serious brother Law Forum : Prison Is Slavery 2016 Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0