Black People : From 1992 to 2013, the Median Net Worth of Blacks Who Finished College Dropped Nearly 56%

RAPTOR

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 12, 2009
Economists emphasize that college-educated blacks and Hispanics over all earn significantly more
and are in a better position to accumulate wealth than blacks and Hispanics who do not get degrees.
Graduates’ median family income in 2013 was at least twice as high, and their median family
wealth (which includes resources like a home, car and retirement account) was 3.5 to 4 times
greater than that of nongraduates. But while these college grads had more assets, they suffered
disproportionately during periods of financial trouble.

From 1992 to 2013, the median net worth of blacks who finished college dropped
nearly 56 percent (adjusted for inflation). By comparison, the median net worth of
whites with college degrees rose about 86 percent over the same period, which
included three recessions
— including the severe downturn of 2007 through 2009, with its
devastating effect on home prices in many parts of the country. Asian graduates did even better,
gaining nearly 90 percent.

http://breakingbrown.com/2015/08/from-1992-to-2013-the-median-net-worth-of-blacks-
who-finished-college-dropped-nearly-56/

Fact is if you're black with a degree you're going to be better off than being black without a degree. As far as debt goes people need to apply some common sense. I could have gone to a private college for 4 years at a cost of $25K per year plus another $15K per year in accommodation plus at least $60K in lost earnings for those 4 years; total cost almost a quarter of a million dollars! Or as I did I could get a part time job and head off to community college part time to get an AAS for a total cost of under $4K. When I finally graduate I should have zero debt; the piece of mind from that I wouldn't exchange for a fancier diploma with debts I'm still going to be paying off as I wave my own grandchildren off to college.

Could this be an issue of financial management and asset diversification?

In part, I think it could be financial management. I kinda believe too many Blacks are not vested in the value of good credit. Good credit goes a long way in the financial crisis. Asset diversification? Requires assets.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back