Black People : free genetic testing

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by jamesfrmphilly, Nov 4, 2013.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2013...ing-kits-people-sub-saharan-african-ancestry/

African and African-American populations are underrepresented in genetic research. For a limited time, 23andMe is offering a free kit to individuals with Sub-Saharan African ancestry.
    The goal of the project is to improve 23andMe’s ancestry product through a better understanding of genetic diversity within Africa. They are specifically interested in reaching individuals from countries associated with the American slave trade in order to help African-Americans trace their roots.
    Participation is simple. Answer a few questions about your ancestry and if you meet the eligibility criteria, 23andMe will ship you a kit. Participants will have access to all the features of 23andMe, including personalized health and ancestry information, at no additional cost.
    To be eligible you must:
    1. have four (4) grandparents from the same sub-Saharan African country. Countries of interest include Angola, Benin, Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic[​IMG] Republic of the Congo , Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, and Sierra Leone.
    2. be 18 years of age,
    3. have Internet access and be willing to take an online survey about ancestry and provide a saliva sample,
    4. live in the United States in a state that allows 23andMe shipping. (Maryland is not one of those states)
    https://www.23andme.com/cohort/africanancestry/

2. crissy27

crissy27 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    How can you know what African country your grandparents are from?

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :11100: that's why i didn't apply......

4. crissy27

crissy27 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Seems like a weird thing to have as a condition to participate....makes you wonder what they're really after with this "free test"....

5. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    They're after expanding the amount of genetic data they have on Africans who are from a known region so that African-Americans can get a better idea of where they're from instead of just haplogroups probably.

disclaimer: I did 23andMe a while back.

6. crissy27

crissy27 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    What did you find out?

7. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    They have a example test profile when you register (it doesn't require a kit as far as I know). It tells you some stuff about your ancestry and it tells you some stuff about your health based on genetic studies done.

The example profile shows you how they break stuff down and there are a lot of in depth reviews that can give people more of an idea.

I held off on doing this one since i did the genographic one years before and the price was too high. It's $99 so I gave it a whirl.

There's also some interesting formats you can download your own data in.