Black People : Frankie Knuckles - The Godfather of House Music Transitions

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldsoul, Apr 1, 2014.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    [​IMG]
    Frankie Knuckles​
    Frankie Warren Knuckles, Jr. (January 18, 1955 – March 31, 2014), a.k.a. “The Godfather of House Music”, has transitioned.
    The Bronx native relocated to Chicago in the late 1970s and soon became the premier figure in the city’s burgeoning club scene. He was the resident DJ at Chicago’s Warehouse before launching his own venue, Power Plant.
    In addition to remixing artists such as Michael Jackson, Luther Vandross, and Diana Ross, Knuckles released a series of original productions, including a 1987′s “Your Love” and 1991′s “The Whistle Song”.
    In 2004, the City of Chicago renamed a stretch of Jefferson Street near the site of the Warehouse "The Godfather of House Music" Frankie Knuckles Way.
    In 2005, he was inducted into the House Music Hall of Fame.

2. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    Sorry to hear that he passed on. Sure like this sound, very relaxing, soothing, and nice to listen to.

3. Orisons

Orisons Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
    Ratings:
    +604
    [QUOTE="oldsoul, post: 868496, member: 765"
    [​IMG]
    Frankie Knuckles​
    Frankie Warren Knuckles, Jr. (January 18, 1955 – March 31, 2014), a.k.a. “The Godfather of House Music”, has transitioned.

The Bronx native relocated to Chicago in the late 1970s and soon became the premier figure in the city’s burgeoning club scene. He was the resident DJ at Chicago’s Warehouse before launching his own venue, Power Plant.

In addition to remixing artists such as Michael Jackson, Luther Vandross, and Diana Ross, Knuckles released a series of original productions, including a 1987′s “Your Love” and 1991′s “The Whistle Song”.

In 2004, the City of Chicago renamed a stretch of Jefferson Street near the site of the Warehouse "The Godfather of House Music" Frankie Knuckles Way.

In 2005, he was inducted into the House Music Hall of Fame.

[/QUOTE]
    Frankie Knuckles saved me in the early 1990’s with this remix of the Sounds of Blackness “The Pressure” just when I thought that my nightclubbing/dancing/escaping from REALITY therapy days were over due to the so very hard/soul less house that was being played in London’s nightclubs.

I had literally thrown in the towel ended up working as a doorman on Friday and Saturday nights at the Ministry of Sound [after getting in as a VIP on the opening night] because there was nowhere I wanted to go [and I could use the extra cash] and then when I heard this song, I had to dance [even though I was meant to be working] and I still HAVE TO DANCE whenever I hear it NOW.

Frankie Knuckles along with C & C Music Factory and Masters at Work created Soulful House before anyone even thought of the category; have been literally TAKING ME AWAY ever since, confused many people who assumed that I was using extasy or cocaine had to be using drugs to get so high, be so hyper, while all I was doing was flying/being totally energized on those so powerful rhythms and vibes.

I can NEVER thank you enough Frankie, RIP.

Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed
    graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?

4. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    smh...rip my soulful brother....

one love
    khasm

5. Precise Allah

Precise Allah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Peacemaker
    Ratings:
    +764
    I was just checking out his mix at the boiler room the other day. Didn't even know he was sick. RIP FK.

Peace

6. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    it's a mix of his from 85 that i want to throw up but the site isn't letting me....:SuN015:

one love
    khasm

7. Orisons

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +604
    Frankie Knuckles SAVED me in the early 1990’s with his remix of the Sounds of Blackness “The Pressure” just when I thought that my nightclubbing/dancing/escaping from REALITY therapy days were over due to the so very hard/soul less Techno House music that was being played in London’s nightclubs.

I had literally thrown in the towel ended up working as a doorman on Friday and Saturday nights at the Ministry of Sound [after going in as a VIP on the opening night] because there was nowhere I wanted to go [and I could use the extra cash] and then when I heard this song, I had to dance [even though I was meant to be working] and I still HAVE TO DANCE whenever I hear it, TODAY.

Another truly ecstatic pleasure was hearing this mix of “I’ll be your Friend” by Robert Owens [which is very apt TODAY in that Frankie was everyone’s friend] and Tony Humphrey’s mix of Mass Order’s “Lift Every Voice” celebrating that other deceased GREAT, Sylvester on the Ministry of Sound's SUPER SOUND SYSTEM.

Frankie Knuckles along with C & C Music Factory and Masters at Work created Soulful House before anyone even thought of the category; have been literally TAKING ME AWAY ever since, confused many people who assumed that I was using ecstasy or cocaine had to be using drugs to get so high, be so hyper, while all I was doing was flying/being totally energized on those so powerful rhythms and vibes GREAT MUSIC creates.

I can NEVER thank you enough Frankie for creating such exhilarating HIGHS/MUSIC to literally feed the SOUL

R.I.P FRANKIE KNUCKLES

8. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    a personal favorite of mine....

but the reason frankie is really cherished here in chicago is not because of the music he created...
    it's more so the music he played as a dj...which was so buttery....

one love
    khasm

9. Orisons

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +604
    [QUOTE="Precise Allah, post: 868533, member: 22757" I was just checking out his mix at the boiler room the other day. Didn't even know he was sick. RIP FK.

Peace[/QUOTE]

Justin Berkmann [opening DJ when the Ministry of Sound first opened along with Bert Bevans posted this lament on Facebook TODAY]

9 hours ago near Hampstead

When I saw Frankie on Saturday, I suspected it was to be the last time, but didn't realise just how close he was to passing. I was aware Frankie was really sick and last week it was mentioned he probably wouldn't make playing at Ministry this last Saturday [what turned out to be his last set EVER] , but clearly worse than anyone had thought he, being the consummate professional, came over to do what he loved to do and lived to give us, his love and his music, his generosity of a pure spirit.

I am truly honoured to have known Frankie, a legend for a reason, a giant in the music scene and a friend.

RIP Frankie Knuckles, and condolences to his loved ones he left behind, especially David and Judy xx

10. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,471