Foster Parenting - Just For The Money

CarrieMonet

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 26, 2003
Seattle
Occupation
Love my job!
Well, I guess you could say I am now the proud mommy of another girl.

My daughter's best friend "C" moved in with us last night after having been kicked out of her foster home. She turned 18 a few weeks ago and although she is still in high school, her foster mother kicked her out. Funny how that coincides with the fact that she will no longer recieve money from the state for this child.

How foul is that? I don't mind her living with us, she is always at our house anyway. Plus she has been trying to move in with us since she was 11 when she first became a foster child. (her mother abondoned her for the crack pipe)

I just think some people are not fit to be foster parents. To top it off, the foster mother is FAMILY of this girl...so that makes her doubly FOUL. This woman never wanted "C" in the first place but kept her around for the money. I have never asked her what she really does for this girl...since the child is working two part time jobs and buys her own clothes. She has been eating dinner at our house for the better part of the last 3 years...and she stayed with us for two weeks this summer.

Anyway...I love this kid and so does my daughter. She is a welcomed addition in our home.

But what are your views about Foster parenting? Do you think your duty ends when the child is 18 regardless of whether or not they are still in school? I hate to see children being used for the money...

My daughter's best friend "C" moved in with us last night after having been kicked out of her foster home. She turned 18 a few weeks ago and although she is still in high school, her foster mother kicked her out. Funny how that coincides with the fact that she will no longer recieve money from the state for this child.

First I have to say that what you are doing is beautiful CarrieMonet. Secondly the foster system in this country is flawed, and unfortunately many foster parents are looking at the children as paychecks. Actually one of my wife's classmates told us after we had our daughter to consider becoming foster parents, "they pay you $800 dollars a month". I responded that I was going to take in a child, money would not be a motivation. I'm sure it is not a coincidence that this young lady's foster mom kicked her out as soon as the check's started coming, just as I'm sure she'll have another check...opps, I mean foster child in a week. When you take in child, he/she is your responsibility. Indeed you become their parent and your obligation to them is for life (until they are able to support themselves & beyond). This often doesn't happen in the foster care system because of the financial motivation. I feel that adoption is a better method of taking in children.

I'm sure it is not a coincidence that this young lady's foster mom kicked her out as soon as the check's started coming, just as I'm sure she'll have another check...opps, I mean foster child in a week.

Thank you.
I don't think this woman will be getting another child, this young lady is her neice and she hasn't even let her get clothes from the house. Clearly from everything that is still unfolding the entire family was in on this.

Yesterday I had to finally step in and try to talk with this woman. I found out that her husband doesn't want "C" there anymore and that was the driving point. They also have a 25 year old pregnant daughter living with them and she wants "C"'s room for the new baby (instead of getting her own place).

Apparenly, the AUNT still has to sign papers to release "C" from her guardianship...but I won't be taking that over. I will help her get finish school so she can take care of her needs.

In the end "C" is much happier with us.

I guess I will never understand greed... in relation to how you treat family members.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back