Black Relationships : Forsaking All Others

OK. What is the marital definition?

Forsaking all others, being faithful only to your spouse so long as you both shall live... so help you God?

Our families respect each other's marriage.

I think I gave the example of forsake all others when I said in a previous post that my spouse, before we were married, asked that I forsake Black Organizations.

When my son married 5 Years ago, I wasn't ready to let him go. I didn't care for his wife, 10 years younger than him. He had returned from Afghanistan 6 months before getting married. He wasn't well, and I knew she could not handle his mental problems as a result of the war.
I had to figure a way to support my son without his young wife thinking I was interfering in their marriage.
She has a big mouth. Always saying the wrong thing. I feared my son would hurt her during one of his PTSD episodes. He also had night terrors.
First, I had to learn to love and appreciate his wife. I did. I had to get my son well.
She and I would get into little silly spats and my son always sided with his wife. There was no right or wrong. He just wanted me to let her be. He wanted me to shut up and not eat her for lunch, lol.
I raised this man and was proud to see him stand with his wife.
We visited often. Driving the 4 hrs to TN. Until he was well enough to work.
Having his family support was important to him. We are a immediate family of three.
She didn't appreciate the frequent visits, my son did. On that, he could not stand by her not wanting us to visit.
We are good now. His wife has become respectful and kind.
Knowing my son, he had talks with his wife regarding her actions towards us when we did visit.
After 5 yrs. I'm planning to tell her what a great job she did caring for my son.
I gifted her with a porcelain tea set. China, that I had planned to give to my DIL. There is more where that came from waiting to see if the marriage last another 5 yrs.

That's about it, the ugly, the bad, and the good. And in that order.

Place my wife in the husband slot and I say no. I try to do what is right, and side with what is right. If my wife was wrong, then I would let her know and side with our daughter.

OIC... That is what I would be inclined to do, too.

But, I think the vows mean putting your spouse's needs/opinions, before your children's, your parents, etc. I could not imagine putting my kid's needs before any one else's... that even includes his father. Now that he is a grown man, maybe, under some circumstances. But, when he was a tot, oh hell to the naw!!!,

When my son married 5 Years ago, I wasn't ready to let him go. I didn't care for his wife, 10 years younger than him. He had returned from Afghanistan 6 months before getting married. He wasn't well, and I knew she could not handle his mental problems as a result of the war.
I had to figure a way to support my son without his young wife thinking I was interfering in their marriage.
She has a big mouth. Always saying the wrong thing. I feared my son would hurt her during one of his PTSD episodes. He also had night terrors.
First, I had to learn to love and appreciate his wife. I did. I had to get my son well.
She and I would get into little silly spats and my son always sided with his wife. There was no right or wrong. He just wanted me to let her be. He wanted me to shut up and not eat her for lunch, lol.
I raised this man and was proud to see him stand with his wife.
We visited often. Driving the 4 hrs to TN. Until he was well enough to work.
Having his family support was important to him. We are a immediate family of three.
She didn't appreciate the frequent visits, my son did. On that, he could not stand by her not wanting us to visit.
We are good now. His wife has become respectful and kind.
Knowing my son, he had talks with his wife regarding her actions towards us when we did visit.
After 5 yrs. I'm planning to tell her what a great job she did caring for my son.
I gifted her with a porcelain tea set. China, that I had planned to give to my DIL. There is more where that came from waiting to see if the marriage last another 5 yrs.

That's about it, the ugly, the bad, and the good. And in that order.

CTFU@ the ugly, the bad, and the good. And in that order

Why did you disagree with Hermetic's post?

Nice discussion Family ... thanks everyone for sharing ... :research:

If my intended presented me with this scripture, talk'n 'bout ... forsaking all others ... i'd want to have a quick review with them on all the scriptures pertaining to a husband and wife duties ... just to be sure we doin' erry thang, since we goin' this way ... :)

Like the scripture ... wives obey your husbands ... or something like that.

What if the husband is beat'n the ish out of you ... what then ... what if he don't even love the Lord, aint been in church or sunday school in 19 years, got 14 baby mommas since the wedding ... and he is pointing to this scripture to try and tie you down ... wives obey your husbands.

Likewise ... this scripture ... forsaking all others ... is probably talking about some kinda good man!

If he's THAT MAN ... it will not be difficult to let go of whatever you must let go of.

If you find that it's difficult to let go of something for him, he may not be THAT MAN.

Or ... you may be willing to push past the reluctance and give him what he wants.

Likewise, there are probably things that you want him to "forsake" and he may or may not.

These are probably questions you talk about prior to the wedding, so no one is disappointed later.

Each person / couple will have different things that might be put on the "forsaken table".

One man might like his wife stripping and never wants her to quit - while another does not.

Know before marriage what the other wants forsaken, if applicable, for you may be perfect as is! :)

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back