Black Relationships : Forsaking All Others

What does this mean to you? Just how far should/would you take it?

I think most people agree that one should "forsake" intimate relations with members of the opposite sex. But, what about relationships with parents, siblings, buddies, and even children? What about ambitions and hobbies? What else should you "forsake"?

My son has been married 5 years now. After he married I knew we, his parents, relationship would change. He was to forsake all others to please his wife.
I haven't lived in my hometown for 29 years. I left my family, including my Mom(RIP Mom) to follow my husband.
He better not forsake his ambition. Hobbies? Depend on what they are.
Going to strip clubs is a no no. Is that a hobby?
What else should you forsake?
Going to night clubs, hanging with girlfriends to often.
When my spouse and I were engaged, I was a member of Black Organizations. He asked me to stop going to meetings. Said unacceptable for military wife.:thinking:
Was he asking me not to be me.
I had to think about that a while. Was I expected to make a choice.
Anyway, at that time he was not active in the Black community.
I didn't say nothing. Just kept my memberships. He didn't even notice.
I believe you have to forsake a lot to have a great marriage.
Never forsake yourself and who you are.

I'm just seeing this topic. Late.

My son has been married 5 years now. After he married I knew we, his parents, relationship would change. He was to forsake all others to please his wife.
I haven't lived in my hometown for 29 years. I left my family, including my Mom(RIP Mom) to follow my husband.
He better not forsake his ambition. Hobbies? Depend on what they are.
Going to strip clubs is a no no. Is that a hobby?
What else should you forsake?
Going to night clubs, hanging with girlfriends to often.
When my spouse and I were engaged, I was a member of Black Organizations. He asked me to stop going to meetings. Said unacceptable for military wife.:thinking:
Was he asking me not to be me.
I had to think about that a while. Was I expected to make a choice.
Anyway, at that time he was not active in the Black community.
I didn't say nothing. Just kept my memberships. He didn't even notice.
I believe you have to forsake a lot to have a great marriage.
Never forsake yourself and who you are.

I'm just seeing this topic. Late.

Thanks for posting, IFE.

I think this question may have been easier to answer back in the day, before people started divorcing and remarrying at the rate they do nowadays. With so many people today being on their second marriage complicates things. I hope that I will never be in a situation that requires me to forsake one beloved for another. Maybe I am naïve to even wish for that. But, I hope the few people that I really care about can also care about each other, too.

Thanks for posting, IFE.

I think this question may have been easier to answer back in the day, before people started divorcing and remarrying at the rate they do nowadays. With so many people today being on their second marriage complicates things. I hope that I will never be in a situation that requires me to forsake one beloved for another. Maybe I am naïve to even wish for that. But, I hope the few people that I really care about can also care about each other, too.

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're saying about caring.
To leave your family for your spouse does not, in any way mean you no longer "care" about them.

My spouse and I take many road trips visiting family members. We look forward to those visits and so does our families. We also look forward to their visiting us. The caring will not cease.

We spent the holidays with our son in TN. Last year some of my family spent the holiday with us.

All is well.

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're saying about caring.
To leave your family for your spouse does not, in any way mean you no longer "care" about them.

My spouse and I take many road trips visiting family members. We look forward to those visits and so does our families. We also look forward to their visiting us. The caring will not cease.

We spent the holidays with our son in TN. Last year some of my family spent the holiday with us.

All is well.

for·sake
fərˈsāk/
abandon, desert, leave, leave high and dry, turn one's back on, cast aside, break (up) with; More
jilt, strand, leave stranded, leave in the lurch, throw over;
informalwalk out on, run out on, dump, ditch, can
"he forsook his wife"
antonyms: return to, stay with

https://www.google.com/#q=forsaking

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back