Jails / Prisons : Former U.S. House Majority Leader sentenced to 3 years in Prison..

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by skuderjaymes, Jan 11, 2011.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    AUSTIN, Texas – Former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay remained defiant as he faced a judge's sentence to three years in prison for a scheme to illegally influence Texas elections, insisting he committed no crime and was the victim of selective prosecution by authorities targeting his politics.
    "Everything I did was covered by accountants and lawyers telling me what I had to do to stay within the law," the Houston-area Republican said. "I can't be remorseful for something I don't think I did."
    But Senior Judge Pat Priest disagreed with DeLay, saying those who write laws should be bound by them, and sentenced the man once considered one of the nation's most powerful and feared lawmakers to three years in prison.
    The sentence came after a jury convicted DeLay in November on charges of money laundering and conspiracy to commit money launder for using a political action committee to illegally send corporate donations to Texas House candidates in 2002.
    Prosecutors said DeLay will likely be free for months or even years while his appeal makes its way through the Texas court system.
    DeLay declined to talk to reporters after he posted a $10,000 bond following three hours in the Travis County jail, where he was taken after being sentenced.
    During a 10-minute speech to the judge before his sentencing, DeLay said the politically motivated case against him had affected his wife's health, forced him to raise and spend $10 million in legal fees and cost him everything he had worked for — including the second-highest post in the U.S. House.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110111/ap_on_re_us/us_delay_trial

2. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    he won't do a single day in prison.. this will be overturned on appeal..
    I'll put a million destee dollars on it..