Black Sports : Former Basketball Star, Kendall Gill, to try career in Boxing

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, Jun 2, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://www.fightnews.com

I'd been interested in checking this out...Gill is a little old to be just starting to box (ideally one would begin in their ealry teens like most other sports); however, I wish him the best.

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Hmmm, Kendall always was a flaky cat... Once I thought this guy coulda been one of the 50 greatest, and won more championships than he could count playing with Larry Johnson and Alonzo in Charlotte, and Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp in Seattle... Threw it all away being a damned flake off... Best of Luck, Kendall...

Peace!
    Isaiah

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Kendall Gill was a talented basketball player when his mind was right...I still remember him trying in vain to stave off the Seattle SuperSonics embarrasing 1st round playoff loss to Denver back in 93. I think he is too old to be lacing up the gloves for the 1st time. Boxing is not an easy sport...there is much more to it than putting on gloves and throwing punches. There has been a string of "failed" & retired sports stars attempting to box, and none of them have been successful. Maybe Kendall Gill will be the exception.

4. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    He's going to get knocked on his butt. He's too old like you said, and he has already shown that he's not dedicated to being the best that he can be. In boxing, he's not going to be able to just walk away from his lackluster performances. His opponent might make it to where Kendall has to be carried out. He seems like the type that will come into a fight way over-weight. He doesn't seem focued and dedicated...at least when he was playing B-ball. I too thought he would be one of the best guards to play at his position, but he burned out before his time was even up. That shows a lack of interest in being a top performer in the sport because from what I know, he didn't suffer any serious injuries that cut his career short.

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    If you look at the top fighters of the last few years:

Floyd Mayweather
    Winky Wright
    Roy Jones Jr
    Mike Tyson
    Lennox Lewis
    Evander Holyfield
    Shane Mosely
    Oscar DeLa Hoya
    Joel Casamayor
    Vernon Forrest
    Jermaine Taylor
    Bernard Hopkins

All of these guys had extensive amateur careers. Many of them were top amatuer fighters in their teenage years, some even laced up gloves as early as 8 years old. They have been world class amateurs, and knew how to fight before they became professionals. This applies not only to these fighters, but the majority of the legendary fighters of the past: Sugar Ray Leonard, Sugar Ray Robinson, Muhammed Ali, Joe Frazier, Rocky Marciano, George Foreman, etc. All of them had amateur careers before turning pro. Boxing is not a sport that you can just "pick up". Being a good boxer takes talent and years of preparation like any other sport. The earlier you try it, the better your chances. Guys who take on boxing lightly usually wind up flat on their faces (literally)!

6. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Guys, I think Kendall suffered from Bi-Polar disorder, or manic depression... I think he always felt that he needed something different, some change of scenery to make his life liveable... That's why he was always asking to be traded, and what not... He's an intelligent man, not a bad person at all... I just think his disease continues to plague him, hence this NEW foray into something he feels might deliver him from his inner-torment...

Remember, there was another former Chicago Bull who was later traded to Milwaukee, first name JASON, who suffered from depression, as well.. It can be extremely debilitating... I kinda think that this disease was Vin Baker's downfall too... Barrett Robbins is facing murder charges isn't he??? Another guy who suffers from Bi-Polar... ****, how did I get off into this kind of convo?(smile!)

Pan, remember Ed "Too Tall" Jones, and Mark Gastineau getting into the fight game??? Disaster, disaster, disasters...

Peace!
    Isaiah

7. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Ironic that I should mention Larry Johnson as one of Kendall's old team mates... L.J. was actually a Texas golden gloves champion at one time... Maybe he's gone be one of Kendall's trainers???

PEace!
    Isaiah

8. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Worst mistake he could make....I think a lot of folks think the fight game is easy, I've seen a lot of guys come in the Muay Thai gym thinking it's nothing..no problem...talking about"I play football for San Jose State or baseball or basketball" then they get in there and 1. almost drop from the workout and 2. curl up like a baby when they feel the first leg kick,body shot,knee , solid jab, etc. and old boy is way too old to start wanting to fight professionally....the fight game isn't something you do as an afterthought..it takes a special type of person and it takes a long time to get the skills that pay the bills..18 months and now he's ready hell he's only been sparring for roughly 1 year....I just hope he don't get seriously hurt...Oh yeah money on Tzu this weekend...

MississippiRed

9. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    Kendall Gill might look like Floyd Patterson but I doubt that he can fight like him. May God have mercy on Mr. Gill

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    The other Chicago Bull you are thinking of is Jason Caffey...who was one heck of a player! I also am not making any statement against Kendall Gill as a person, being from Chicago myself, I have a lot of respect for him. I've always admired his portrayal of the relationship he had with his father. I've also admired his basketball game. However I do remember Ed "Too Tall" Jones & Mark Gastineau's attempts at boxing...LOL! I can't help but think Kendall Gill's name is going to be placed next to them.

PS. I didn't know LJ was a former golden gloves champ....you learn something new every day. However, if he was....how does that explain the "horrible" fight he got into with Alonzo Mourning that one time? All this missed punches? As a former boxer, he should have been ashamed!! LOL!