Black People : Forgotten Rebellion: Black Seminoles and the Largest Slave Revolt in U.S. History

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Chinelo, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Chinelo

Chinelo Third Eye Is Always Open MEMBER

Removing LIES And Spreading The Truth
    Ratings:
    +1,633
    :cool:

2. THE-GOD

THE-GOD Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +128
    [​IMG]

This is a nice read for somebody interested in the subject

3. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Good luck with bringing this up...Usually it leads to charges of folk choosing to identify themselves as 'anybody but black'...

Never mind some of my black indian ancestors aided the liberation of enslaved blacks too?

Anyway thanks for reposting this aspect of OUR story in the Americas...

FYI...

4. THE-GOD

THE-GOD Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +128
    This book isn't like that. It shows that the "negro" was in fact the key factory in those "seminole wars"

This is a quote from General Jesup from during the time "If I should not succeed in dislodging Powell [Osceola], I can on returning to this place, strike Micanopy, Philip, and Cooper, who are about a day's march from each other, each with from one hundred and twenty to two hundred Indian and negro warriors -- the latter, perhaps, the more numerous. My object will be to strike them in succession, and prevent them from congregating.

"By all means let me have the sixth regiment; and if any companies of the second regiment of dragoons have been raised, let me have them.

"This, you may be assured, is a negro, not an Indian war; and if it be not speedily put down, the south will feel the effects of it on their slave population before the end of the next season."

5. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    On point...

On time...

Obviously more than a handful of brave individuals, i. e., Harriet Tubman etc., helped to free our (and their) enslaved relations on this nation, or were waiting around for white folks to...FYI...

6. Aluku

Aluku Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hi, I created an account especially to respond to this post lol.

Anyway I'm form Surinam a country in the Caribbean, a former Dutch colony, and stories like this from the Seminoles are very common to us. We had many successful slave rebellions and established autonomous maroon(runaway/rebel slaves) villages from the first days of slavery.

We together with the African Americans & the Caribbeans have on common bond, in that we came mostly from the same region from the same people, namely the Akan people, which is now in present day Ghana and parts of the Ivory Coast.

If you look at slave trade maps you will notice very few direct routes to the USA. This was due to logistics. The bulk of slaves from the Caribbean and the USA came from Ghana & Ivory Coast to the Caribbean where they were housed in what can best be described as "wholesale Warehouses", to be sold to the different parts of the Caribbean & the USA.

What is unique about Surinam is that the culture that the slaves took with them from Africa was never lost, due to the fact that maroon villages persist until this very day, and the stories of the rebellions are common knowledge to all the people of Surinam. When you visit these villages it's like you are stepping back into time some 300 years!

What has struck me after having lived in the USA for a while now is how similar the structure of the black spiritual songs & the blues is to songs that have survived for over 300 years in Surinam.

Anyway from history and local history we know that a large number of us came from a city in Ghana which is called Kromanti or Kormantse. As a matter of fact the firs slaves to the USA were called Kromantins, not Africans.

The Kromantis were a proud warrior tribe and caused all kinds of trouble in the new world. While most traditions have been lost, they also successfully won their freedom in other parts of the Caribbean such as Jamaica and some of the other islands.
    There were even efforts made to ban the export of Kromantis:

There is so much information about this but unfortunately most of it is in Dutch. When I get time I will try and translate some of the information, because I believe it will help to shed light on the heritage of African Americans as well.

7. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Nice to meet you...

And welcome to our website...

I also look forward to finding out about your takes on us in the states as well...

FYI...

8. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Chuck:

The highly celebrated ROOTS (both the book and the miniseries) easily reveals not all was forgotten or lost, even in spite of efforts to rob the original enslaved africans of their legacies, etc. Though if the specifics weren't always passed down, the means/ways/etc. once free men and women held on to their dignity and rest, etc., also led to generally accepted and respected personal and/or collective practices...However some whites choose or chose to relabel them, everything from the blues to hip hop etc. reflects the traditions of african people, here in the states, as well...

Some things here have just been forgotten, and let none of us just abandon what has sustained us, for generations, family...

FYI...

9. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Chuck: Be it in terms of lost of life or the cost of the conflict, the Second Seminole war was a big setback, i. e., for the white invaders of this continent, as well...FYI...

10. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Don't forget the Jamaican Maroons or the Haitian Rebellion either.