Black Spirituality Religion : Forgiving others, improving yourself

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Missy99, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Missy99

Missy99 New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey everyone, I started this thread to discuss the importance of practicing forgiveness in our lives. Forgiveness is an essential component to a fulfilling life and there aren’t many examples of people’s forgiveness these days. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. certainly believed and taught that a high level of forgivingness was achievable. If you are interested in an enrichment of the soul, you should check out an online forum regarding forgiveness at www.spirituality.com on Tues., Jan. 14 at 2 PM, ET and on Wednesday, Jan. 15 at 2 PM, ET. On Tues. Reverend Kimberlie Zakarian, writer and speaker, will host a live chat discussing her life’s trials, and on Wed., Melanie Washington will chat about how she was able to forgive what seems almost unforgivable.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    welcome unto destee's house
    happy to see u here upon family & friendz

yes forgiveness is da power of da inner soul
    to not hold hate but love within
    when one speak of forgiveness
    we seem to look far beyond the unknown script
    I my self knoweth of such as life rides me down
    the main street of forgiveness
    my heart has allow me too forgive the wrongdoers of wrong
    as i seek forgiveness for whom i may have committed
    without knowing
    yet i try hard to be fare and real to all creed of nature
    from humans 2 pets
    forgiveness is a pose of GOD which we should commit too
    Thanks for bringing this out to light
    continue ya write as many need to know forth one's who do
    need to be re-freshing up
    what seem so wrong is forgiven

He so forgive as to be forgiven so can i..........

3. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    It's very important to practice forgiveness, lest we be without it from our Father on High. When we show forgiveness, we show the opposite of hypocrisy, and patience is a part of this.

Your hatred, and bitterness cannot last, and you feel freedom, once lost to unforgiving mercy perhaps, being gained again. It's beautiful when one realizes they are forgiven and nothing be held against them, by you.

4. candeesweet

candeesweet Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    I'm thinking
    forgiveness is an emotional feeling.
    Therefore, you can't do someone wrong unless ur mature enough to notice it.
    4 example a child (4yr.old) ain't gonna know they need to forgive a grown person calling them mean names cause of how that grown person linked their feelings to a child. So is the child in the wrong? So until the child is taught how the "law" of forgiveness is...they don't know yet.
    Sometimes emotions are taught wrongly. So it's up to you to mature into realizing ur perception of needing to be forgiving or u thinking someone owes whomever forgiveness was define from someone elses experiences. Then maybe the truth of us needing to not be so hard up (according to) in order for us to be able to grow into needing forgiveness. but we need to switch shoes & realize erething is in the eye of the beholder.
    Forgive yourself for not having a forgiving heart naturally. Baggage is only on one back. Lighten ur own load.
    When ur man plays on u/ he deserves to be understood (communication) not forgiveness w/out forgetting (hypocritical). That's called getting nothing (no change).
    Don't let the hatred & bitterness in ur heart in the 1st place.

5. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Actually, I believe you can do someone wrong even if you're not mature enough to notice it; however, it's not always counted to the fault of someone ignorant of their mistake.

The Father even does this for us; so why not for another, especially a child? Give the benefit of correction without a penalty or simply let it slide if it isn't urgent.

Yes, exactly. And if it's already there, pray that it may be rooted out.:)

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Understanding Forgiveness

Forgiveness is not the same as reconciliation. Forgiveness is one person’s inner response to another’s perceived injustice. Reconciliation is two people coming together in mutual respect. Reconciliation requires both parties working together. Forgiveness is something that is entirely up to you. Although reconciliation may follow forgiveness, it is possible to forgive without re-establishing or continuing the relationship. The person you forgive may be deceased or no longer part of your life. You may also choose not to reconcile, perhaps because you have no reason to believe that a relationship with the other person is healthy for you.

Forgiveness is not forgetting. “Forgive and forget” seem to go together. However, the process of forgiving involves acknowledging to yourself the wrong that was done to you, reflecting on it, and deciding how you want to think about it. Focusing on forgetting a wrong might lead to denying or suppressing feelings about it, which is not the same as forgiveness. Forgiveness has taken place when you can remember the wrong that was done without feeling resentment or a desire to pursue revenge. Sometimes, after we get to this point, we may forget about some of the wrongs people have done to us. But we don’t have to forget in order to forgive.

Forgiveness is not condoning or excusing. Forgiveness does not minimize, justify, or excuse the wrong that was done. Forgiveness also does not mean denying the harm and the feelings that the injustice produced. And forgiveness does not mean putting yourself in a position to be harmed again. You can forgive someone and still take healthy steps to protect yourself, including choosing not to reconcile.

Forgiveness is not justice. It is certainly easier to forgive someone who sincerely apologizes and makes amends. However, justice—which may include acknowledgment of the wrong, apologies, punishment, restitution, or compensation—is separate from forgiveness. You may pursue your rights for justice with or without forgiving someone. And if justice is denied, you can still choose whether or not to forgive.

http://www.pbs.org/thisemotionallife/topic/forgiveness/understanding-forgiveness

7. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    "Forgiveness has taken place when you can remember the wrong that was done without feeling resentment or a desire to pursue revenge".

As I feel it. There is no need to hold resentment for the little things people do or commit. I hold resentment only for actions people commit with full knowledge of their actions, like mass murder, slavery and the continued oppression of people of colour. But this resentment does not cause me any discomfort. For I have not committed the evil nor will I ever reconcile it.

8. Gracious

Gracious Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +232
    Greetings My Sister,

I’ve read that some here believe that forgiveness is emotional? And because they believe this, they’ve written that their forgiveness is contingent upon the “feelings”?

Hmmmm :thinking:

… Aren’t feelings fickle? Meaning, aren’t feelings unreliable?

EXAMPLE ...

We feel this way today – wake up tomorrow & feel totally different. Sooo, if they (our feelings) are … unreliable, than how can we possibly trust them?

Perhaps … when we speak about our “feelings” concerning forgiveness, maaaaybe we're really speaking about a deeper internal connection???

Our spirit!!!

That internal barometer that warns us of danger or that strengthens us when we are weak or that directs us when we are lost.

Forgiveness is a very self-less & self-ish act … all at the same time! Involving an inner strength/maturity that few have ever experienced!

To be led to release yourself from your captor … is courageous!!! Selfish … in that YOU value your own being soooo much, that you will NOT allow another to contain or control you! Selfless … in that (once released) you can do justly to those who’ve abused you!

Not even our Messiah chose to escape the consequence of man’s law. So too, we cannot! When one unjustly deals with you … THEY (your perpetrator) are not above consequence!

Though you've chosen to release yourself from their captive snare; by spiritually letting go of that uncontrollable inward bitter burning sensation - that if left unchecked will surely causes ulcers, cancers, addictions, etc. ... in NO way excuses your perpetrator from their "JUST" desserts!!!

Forgiving your captor ... is for YOUR OWN sake!, And in NO way absolves your perpetrator from the consequences of their ill-actions towards you!

This is why I am in true agreement with what you've posted cherryblossom. :toast: Thanks!