Black Spirituality Religion : Forget Willie Lynch - God Taught the White Man How to Handle His Slaves

river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Thought maybe you guys would be more interested in this than the folks in the open forum although this pertains to all black people because we all need to know the source of our oppression.

I've read the Bible almost my whole fortyyears of life and I never knew the following scriptures were in there. These scriptures shw that the men who enslaved our ancestors were not nominal christians. They were doing exactly what the bible told them to do.

Leviticus 25
25:44
And as for your male and female slaves whom you may have--from the nations that are around you, from them you may buy male and female slaves.

25:45
Moreover you may buy the children of the strangers who dwell among you, and their families who are with you, which they beget in your land; and they shall become your property.

25:46
And you may take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them as a possession; they shall be your permanent slaves. But regarding your brethren, the children of Israel, you shall not rule over one another with rigor.

No brotha KemetKind it would not serve the message of African spirituality better if I stopped denigrating a faith based on a god who says things like this.

This is part of the Mosaic Law which Jesus said he did not come to destroy but to fulfill.

Once you start reading outside the carefully selected memory verses you will find that this is just one of many verses used to justify our enslavement

Exodus 21
21:2
If you buy a Hebrew servant, he shall serve six years; and in the seventh he shall go out free and pay nothing.

21:3
If he comes in by himself, he shall go out by himself; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him.

21:4
If his master has given him a wife, and she has borne him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself.

21:5
But if the servant plainly says, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,'

21:6
then his master shall bring him to the judges. He shall also bring him to the door, or to the doorpost, and his master shall pierce his ear with an awl; and he shall serve him forever.

Sistas, check out how this "god" says to treat sex slaves

Exodus 21

21:7
"And if a man sells his daughter to be a female slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do.

21:8
If she does not please her master, who has betrothed her to himself, then he shall let her be redeemed. He shall have no right to sell her to a foreign people, since he has dealt deceitfully with her.

21:9
And if he has betrothed her to his son, he shall deal with her according to the custom of daughters.

21:10
If he takes another wife, he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, and her marriage rights.

21:11
And if he does not do these three for her, then she shall go out free, without paying money.

Exodus 21

21:20
"And if a man beats his male or female servant with a rod, so that he dies under his hand, he shall surely be punished.

21:21
Notwithstanding, if he remains alive a day or two, he shall not be punished; for he is his property.

"If he remains alive for a day or two?"

When a Black man defends a faith like this I feel a major disconnect.

It is not a matter of defending Christianity sister River.

Most of us recognize a perverted version of it was used alongside the gun to enslave our people, and is used to this day to justify aggression all over the world.

The problem is you paint with too broad a brush, for many a black person still calls themselves "christian" after realizing all these negative things, and still lives and acts in the support and interests of black people.

Many black christians don't realize any of these things about the history of christianity, but by their actions and lives they're still worthy of basic respect.

Why?

Because their "African spirituality" is just as real as yours, or anyone else's, because it is not ORIGINATED from words in any edition of any book but is originated from and GROUNDED in their own relationship with God.

You can change what "religion" you call yourself a proponent of, change what books you study or what rituals you use to meditate, but God doesn't change with you.

You just changed how you worship him/her. So realizing that others who no longer believe as you do STILL may KNOW God, how can you feel righteous in condemning them?

No matter what we do we're examples, positive or negative, and if the main example we provide is a fierce and sweeping condemnation of all who don't believe what we do, then we don't have much room left for the example of radiance, balance, compassion, brilliance and wisdom, all of which I've seen plenty of in you sister River.

Slavery was a part of ancient societies, but not in the form it was in the transatlantic slave trade (I believe this was discussed in another thread).

Why was there nothing in the Bible about computers...no laws to govern their use? ...because they weren't around then...but slavery was around. I would imagine societies in this day and age, religious or not, would devise some parameters for internet usage because it is an everpresent part of our daily realities.

Sure, one may argue the rules in the Bible are unjust or that God should completly outlaw slavery since it is against freedom (which many say is God-Given); but I go back to my original point about how slavery in the context of those days was much different than it is now primarily because of the horrors of the Trans Atlantic slave trade. I think we need a new word....maybe marriage :lol:

peace

river said:
Thought maybe you guys would be more interested in this than the folks in the open forum although this pertains to all black people because we all need to know the source of our oppression.

I've read the Bible almost my whole fortyyears of life and I never knew the following scriptures were in there. These scriptures shw that the men who enslaved our ancestors were not nominal christians. They were doing exactly what the bible told them to do.

The Bible, nor God told the white man to KIDNAP the people of West Africa some 400 plus years ago. There are in FACT explicit scriptures that speak AGAINST that crime.

Exd 21:16 And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death.

It also clearly states what the judgement of God is upon those who are found with those who they stole and sold.

Leviticus 25
25:44
And as for your male and female slaves whom you may have--from the nations that are around you, from them you may buy male and female slaves.

25:45
Moreover you may buy the children of the strangers who dwell among you, and their families who are with you, which they beget in your land; and they shall become your property.

25:46
And you may take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them as a possession; they shall be your permanent slaves. But regarding your brethren, the children of Israel, you shall not rule over one another with rigor.

No brotha KemetKind it would not serve the message of African spirituality better if I stopped denigrating a faith based on a god who says things like this.

You do realize river that this describes a time way before the 16th century, when eastern tribes tended to hold servants for a variety of reasons (debt, warfare, etc), right??

This is part of the Mosaic Law which Jesus said he did not come to destroy but to fulfill.

Right, Jesus did indeed say that "I come not to destroy but to fulfill". And your point in relation to this portion of the Mosiac law is....?

Once you start reading outside the carefully selected memory verses you will find that this is just one of many verses used to justify our enslavement

This wasn't your original asssertion, though. You originally asserted that God "taught" the white man to steal the people of West Africa in the 17th century via the scriptures.

In my opinion it goes without saying that some people use certain things against their nature and try to "justify" a variety of crimes.

Exodus 21
21:2
If you buy a Hebrew servant, he shall serve six years; and in the seventh he shall go out free and pay nothing.

21:3
If he comes in by himself, he shall go out by himself; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him.

21:4
If his master has given him a wife, and she has borne him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself.

21:5
But if the servant plainly says, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,'

21:6
then his master shall bring him to the judges. He shall also bring him to the door, or to the doorpost, and his master shall pierce his ear with an awl; and he shall serve him forever.

Sistas, check out how this "god" says to treat sex slaves

The verses which you call attention to here suggests that the wife and the children of the servant remain as FAMILY of the master. However, what you're implying is the wife of the servant (if he decides to leave) becomes the concubine of the master, am I correct of your assesment?? If so, that would be false, because that would be considered ADULTERY according to the very book of law in question.

Exodus 21

21:7
"And if a man sells his daughter to be a female slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do.

21:8
If she does not please her master, who has betrothed her to himself, then he shall let her be redeemed. He shall have no right to sell her to a foreign people, since he has dealt deceitfully with her.

21:9
And if he has betrothed her to his son, he shall deal with her according to the custom of daughters.

21:10
If he takes another wife, he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, and her marriage rights.

21:11
And if he does not do these three for her, then she shall go out free, without paying money.

Exodus 21

21:20
"And if a man beats his male or female servant with a rod, so that he dies under his hand, he shall surely be punished.

21:21
Notwithstanding, if he remains alive a day or two, he shall not be punished; for he is his property.

"If he remains alive for a day or two?"

When a Black man defends a faith like this I feel a major disconnect.

Please explain why those black men who defend their "Biblical faith", in relation to these verses, exhibit a "major disconnect" in your opinion.

And by the way, the verses in question (vs. 20, 21) are NOT justifying murder, if one reads the verses immediately above them they're outlining various CRIMES (in fact verse 12 makes your implication of justifiable murder null and void), which tells us that the "beating" that this hypothetical servant recieved was a JUSTIFIABLE PUNISHMENT, and certainly has nothing at all to do with the KIDNAPPING and MURDER of the millions of our brothers and sisters by the caucasian in the 16th through 19th centurys.

PEACE

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back