Black People : "For tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today"

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Josef, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Josef

Josef Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    Early and Very Early Parenting

Maternal Emotions and Human Development
    By Bruce H. Lipton, Ph.D. (1995)

Most everyone is in some way familiar with the impact that the mother’s material (chemical) content has upon human development. However, very few are aware that the mother also passes on information content to the fetus during pregnancy. The information relayed by the mother to the fetus concerns the status of the environment. This status is conveyed in the mother’s perceived attitudes about life. The mother’s emotions, such as fear, anger, love, hope among others, can biochemically alter the genetic expression of the offspring. Our perceptions of the environment, and their attendant emotions, elicit physiological responses in the body by releasing "signal" molecules into the blood. Blood-borne emotion-related signals activate specific receptor proteins on the surfaces of cells in tissues and organs. Activated receptors serve as molecular switches that adjust the metabolic system and behavior of the organism, so as to accommodate environmental challenges.

for full article

http://www.birthpsychology.com/lifebefore/early8.html

Can experiences be passed on to offspring?

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126945.100-can-experiences-be-passed-on-to-offspring.html

2. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    This is important information. I have to do some digging, but I want to say that Jewel Pookrum, a medical doctor, has done some research into this matter of how thought and training is turned into chemicals the body (brain) passes along. There are huge implications in terms of how patterns of behavior are inherited; more information is needed in terms of how these chemicals can be transformed into positive patterns.

3. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    On second thought

I'm not so sure this info is useful for me.

I looked at the links and question this work and field of study. It would be interesting to hear what they have developed in terms of how we heal from this "birth trauma" and the like. I think the movement of people delivering child under-water may have followed from this theory and study.

While I can acknowledge the birthing process IS traumatic for the child, I would seriously question the validity of lasting impact based solely on that.

Thanks for Sharing the Information ...

Thinking more about this tho...I do see where this fits in my paradigm as it represents ONE example of trauma located on the individual/family level of lived experiences. Yet, consistent within the Culture established here in amerikkka, people seek to separate experiences and put forth theories as THE ANSWER to most of life's 'problems'.

Sorry, I'm not up to writing a lot right now however...I could talk about this for a long time. Nothing is as simple as it appears.

M.E.

:hearts2:

4. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    While I have not read a lot of Dr. Pookrum's work, I do know that Trauma is a 'brain injury' and it is said to alter one's genetic makeup with long term exposure and unresolved trauma experiences.

We know there is a physiologic component present with even 'thoughts'. Just imagine, if you THINK of a pleasurable experience, you may smile and 'feel' good. Well endorphins are released in the brain and this is what I think in part accounts for that "pleasurable" experience. By the same token, THINKING about a major loss can support the feeling of sadness and cause for tears to be produced and flow. Thinking of DANGER may likely stimulate increased heart rate, breathing or even sweating palms. For these things to take place, chemicals have been activated in the brain. I'm blocking the term used to describe these chemical yet...over time and with continued over-stimulation of these chemical is said to alter genetic make-up.

As always, this is a very rough summation of what I have come to know in this area. It would be interesting to see what you find from Dr. Pookrum's work and I hope you plan to share some of it here. I will probably go search out some myself. I do have one dvd of her teaching.

M.E.
    :hearts2:

5. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Oh believe me sis, I plan on digging (and sharing) because what I'm talking about here goes beyond mere birth trauma. I'm talking about trauma-related training which may unconsciously impact progeny. Somehow, in some way, I am thinking it is going to be part of what heals us collectively. No doubt there may be missing pieces, but I'm highly curious nonetheless.