Black Poetry : For Sherykah...And All The Others Who Have Wondered Why..(This is not a poem)

Discussion in 'Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On!' started by Hunter, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Hunter

Hunter Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    First of all...please forgive me for using the poetry page this way...because this is not a poem.
    Recently...a poet contacted me and asked me a very interesting question. One that compelled me to answer in this way. At first I thought that I would reply to the question privately, but as I began to formulate my answer..I felt it necessary to share my thoughts on this particular subject with all of you. Many of you have read my works...as steadily as I have read yours. We have become a library family...dusting each others shelves, gaurding our book ties binding.

For Sherykah and those who have wondered....

as writers...we often write what we know. Often when I write dark poetry.."Mama" becomes a powerful symbol...my own mother was a source of great pain as well as a mystery to me growing up as well as in my womanhood years today. I have always searched for truths through the use of poetry..so yes..I often travel to "dark-blue" places in search of my mama's treasures...in search of myself as a descendant of Mamas.

In my humble opinion...true writing is not just about the words on paper...yes they make for good reading..but the real writing takes place before that...it is the thought process...the quest...for higher levels of understanding.. the spiritual self.

Why are all the women sad and blue? Because they are me...and my Mama...make no mistake...we are strong black survivors..learning to celebrate the legacy of our vaginas...but sometimes...after the concert...after we have put the red dress on...we cry...for the sake of woman...for the sake of children...for the sake of peace and simply for the sake of the intensity of tears....we reserve the right to cry...tears bring forth healing...and growing...and knowing...and understanding...that in this world...we once walked the soil of sorrow...and baptized our daughters with the sweat and salty tears

Joy was never the promise of earth...no ....this has always been the oath of heavens...we are simply here to be here...and to leave our joys and our tears behind

**Lessons Learned From My Mama***

Arlene Hunter
    [thank-you Sherry for inspiring this process]

2. alyce

alyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Counselor
    Ratings:
    +85
    Ms. Hunter

How can I begin to thank you for this? I suppose I must first thank Sherykah. So Sherry...thank ya sis! Hunter, I am always amazed by your understanding and your wisdom. Your wealth of experiences and your gift of articulation are such a powerful combination. That you have been able to synthesize all these elements; these ingredients that are part of y/our woman fibre...is incredible. Your genius exceeds my ability to adequately describe it.

You's a bad lil sis. I am so pleased to know you. Looking forward to the woman who emerges from your depths in 10 years.... the thought is mind-boggling sis! (wanna say that EFF word, right about here!) :D

Thank you again, Sherry! :)
    a

3. epiphany

epiphany Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +40
    Wow Hunter.......

This is some powerful reading. I have always said the poetry is the mirror of one's soul, and what is in someone else's soul may not be in another. I love poetry because it gives you a glimpse into each person' heart. At times you may have to read and interpret what the person is saying, and sometimes you may never know. I can only imagine what it is like to be in pain over your mother. But as human beings we should have the gift in us to sympathize with each other, whether we have walked in their shoes or not. My mother lost her mother when she was 15, yet it did not prevent her from being the wonderful mother she is to us. We owe it to ourselves to experience and learn and sometimes, those experience are painful, but if we can come through the pain, having learn something to pass on to our daughters, then walking thru the dark valley was well worth it. I commend you for seeking the reasons why? It takes more courage to confront then hide and become bitter. We will all become Mamas one day and how we fare as the matriarch of our families will have an effect on our daughters, granddaughters...etc, possibly for generations. So, it is alright to cry, to exhibit tenderness, to nurture and to grow and become what
    the nature of our femininity is..............A Woman.

Epiphany :heart:

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Why? I've not asked that why. Probably because I've been too caught up in the awesome talent you've been blessed with. Since way back in my early BlackBelle days, I've believed that the words you share are given to you from the Spirits themselves. Given to comfort, encourage, embrace and/or admonish, always bringing a wealth of wisdom. I have been tempted to ask why I'm not blessed in this same way, but how can I do that, with a blessing so great in my midst.

Thanking God that you are so willing to share with us, the gifts given to you.

Destee

5. MsDLite

MsDLite Well-Known Member MEMBER

Working
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hunter...

i read and re-read...
    i have meditated on the
    words you have written
    here...

i pause at: Why are all the women sad and blue?
    ...because i wonder as well...

i never question what a poet expresses through
    their writing because i know, as i have, a poet
    may be feeling "something" that can only be expose
    through written words...

i have enjoyed reading...you and now, knowing
    a little more about the "center focus" (at times)...

thanks you for sharing your expression of feelings...
    here...

encouraged~

6. James Eta

James Eta Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Hunter

I've been reading you for a long time. Your scribes are genuine, thought-provoking, making the reader go inward as you take us on your journey. I've seen places I would never have seen if not for your poetry. You are truly gifted.

Continue to impart your wisdom, my sista!

J

7. Afridancr

Afridancr Well-Known Member MEMBER

African Dance Instructor/Cultural Educator
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hunter

I am overwhelmed with emotion that has surfaced in regard to my own mother and the blues we've shared, which few people know about outside of what I've chosen to share on these boards.

We all have a story...

thank you for sharing

8. Hunter

Hunter Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    'My library family'...

please allow me to humbly thank-you all for your in depth comments, your praise, your sharing and your encouragement..

each day we wake up from our night beds and we individually make conscious decisions to write poetry...and collectively we come together to weave our separate versions of reality into one big beautiful quilt

again..humble thanks and blessings to you all poets....I is indeed a privilege to be a part of this unique family

:toast:

Arlene Hunter