Quiet Poetry Lounge : Foolishness

Discussion in 'Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On!' started by cocobutterskyn, Jun 19, 2001.

1. cocobutterskyn

cocobutterskyn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Spreading Joy.... need some?
    Ratings:
    +220
    //////////

2. Afridancr

Afridancr Well-Known Member MEMBER

African Dance Instructor/Cultural Educator
    Ratings:
    +0
    Clapping!!!!!!

Coco...

my sistah...now you know I'm feeling this. Discrimination. We expect to be discriminated against by other races that consider themselves superior. However, it is sickening...maddening when racial discrimination rears it's ugly head amongst our own people. We talk about Umoja (unity) but who's really striving for it? We are such a divided people! It's a result of the brainwashing by slavemasters etc. There are some communities where the unification is tight. But I sometimes question whether we/black/african-american/africans, all african people throughout America and the diaspora will ever truly unite. We all may do our part here and there but I'm talking as a whole.

Again, I am feeling this 100%. Been thinking along these lines since yesterday. We really need to stop this intra-racial hatred and learn to love and accept each other as the black/african race that we are. We ALL
    come from the same place, AFRICA!!! and we ALL have the same mother, AFRICA!!! Let's show her and ourselves some RESPECT. Stop this foolishness, let's have some togetherness!!! UMOJA!!!!! :cool:

3. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    words...

in '78, while in college, i spoke--HELLO--to a red bone--a light-skin complexioned sistah--who turnt her head in disdain. to this, i asked, "did your parents send you to college to learn stupidity?"

too many of us have become reLAXed in our thinking...thinking that we're where we wanna be...gone as far as we're gonna go...have the freedom to do all we can do. it is this attitude that's dragging US down.

blakverb, in his post "off da top thinking" said: "...they run from flatfoots in NIKES to that basketball dribbled Anthem (but ****, that beat is cool)....and I can Bob my head to that BEAT but I'd rather BEAT my head trying to figure out why so many of us don't do business with B.O.B (blak owned businesses)...and why we selling out? " {HOPE YOU DON'T MIND MY USING YOUR WORDS, BLAK}

how many times have you gone into a city and located a copy of the BLACK pages...which lists the B.O.B. of that city? do we care? even when we know, do we utilize their services? if not, how can we claim to be in support of US when WE step around US everyday. hmmm.

matching chains...
    still suffering the same.

let the river flow.

One.

4. Afridancr

Afridancr Well-Known Member MEMBER

African Dance Instructor/Cultural Educator
    Ratings:
    +0
    learning something new...

although I don't travel as often as I would like, I never knew that there was such a thing as Black pages. That is interesting and something that I'll remember during my future travels. Thanks baller.:wink:

I've learned that lots of US (not myself) feel that some black owned business overcharge for their merchandise. So what they do is burn 5 dollars in gas to get to the suburban malls/shopping centers and spend 100.00 dollars on AN outfit, have lunch (additional $5-8.) then burn $5. more in gas to get back to the city. In total, they've spent roughly 140. incl. taxes supporting an establishment that doesn't support them (US). Me, I'd rather spend that money in a black owned fabric store, resteraunt or whatever. Then people always complain about how black businesses can't survive in the city or cry that there aren't any/enough black businesses. Well dammit, I wonder why!!!!!!!:mad:

Feelin your thoughts baller...:)

5. Street So'ja

Street So'ja Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    divide and conquer

we were divided long ago, amazingly the mindset still exists in this present day,

we will never be together although i do feel a calamity
    will bring support
    but until sadly every man (woman) for themselves

i would love to stand united

but the crevice is too deep

do like i do show your support where and when you can
    that's all you can do until the day of reckoning

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    BLACK ON BLACK

SHO YA RIGHT !!
    WE FIGHT BLACK ON BLACK
    WE NEED SOME UNITY
    TOGETHERNESS
    BUT SO MANY YET FOOLISH
    AND WANNA BRING DOWN THE FEW THATS AHEAD
    INSTEAD OF BEING HAPPY FOR THEM
    WE FIGHT!!
    WE LIE
    AND KILL AT WILL
    WE NEED TO PUT DOWN OUR GUNS
    HAVE SOME FUN AND BOND AS ONE .......
    GURL I SEE THIS DAILY ROUND ME
    IT HURTS!!

7. cocobutterskyn

United States
    Ratings:
    +220
    Kill the ROOT

Afri
    You stand correct..... Discrimination against US from others in the past w~~ay in the past was OUR biggest problem(s). Now it has become the smallest of OUR problem(s). OUR biggest problem(s) is US killing, robbing,selling drugs to US. OUR stuggle is nolonger just to survive in this white man's world, but to survive in OUR own neighborhoods. They planted the seed of our destruction years ago and we've been nurturing it EVER since. As I said in my other poem the plan was well executed. It's like a cancer(selfhatred)eating up the body(US) We better stop the foolishness and start working together to find a cure or WE ALL GOIN DOWN.
    Thanks Afri you danced your passion in my poem.

Baller, what you said is right on the dime. Redbone, effects from the seed they planted and WE, US nurtured. We GOTTA find away to cut/pull it up from the root.

and the Black Business issue. I'm a black business owner and I've seen some thangs. So true, Afri. Thanks everyone for the read.

8. cocobutterskyn

United States
    Ratings:
    +220
    I apologize everyone. I know this is a forum for poetry, but there is something I felt motivated to say, so will you be patient with me? Thanks.
    I think it's funny how we continue trying to separate ourselves from each another, as if no one will notice we're black or belong to the black race. We are a race whereas, no matter where we try to run/hide they'll still connect us together. Now we may get alittle more than the next black man, but when they think we're getting to big, we'll always be knocked down a few notches or out even. We can't jump in their world and get lost in the mix
    NO matter how rich WE get
    NO matter what white woman/man WE marry
    NO matter what neighborhood WE live in
    NO matter what country WE are in
    WE CAN'T RUN/HIDE from our BLACKNESS,
    Love one another, it's such a wonderful feeling to love and be loved.:love:

9. blakverb

blakverb Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +32
    Exactly....cocobutterskyn...I am in 100 percent agreement with you.

[baller it's all good brother. I know we're of the same mind]

cocobutterskyn, I was at a conference in which Naim Akbar spoke (if you're not familiar with him check him out). He stated that we, black people, are insane for many reasons, some which you've noted. We are the number one perpetrators iin hating ourselves. It's a sad sad thing but you know the next revolution will be led by the poets so...keep writing POET.

one love,blak

10. Jyntlbreez

Jyntlbreez Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Coco...

U AIN'T TOLD NO LIE HERE

that somehow, along the way, our roots have been forgotton!
    We as a people have forgotton where we've come from, the unity
    involved to uplift one another, to move ahead in life(together)!
    It is overwhelmingly sad to know that we as a race will often step on the backs of our brothers and sisters to make ourselves feel taller. yeah! I'm witcha on this one sis...Stop all the foolishness!