Black People : Food for Thought.......Leaders of our Generation

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Coach707, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Coach707

Coach707 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I strongly believe that if we are going to have a black leader in this generation, he would have to be a man that is not shackled by Republican and Democratic parties. I thought these systems were designed to protect the white race? If we closely examine the Colon Powell situation, it could be used as a classic example. Obviously he was a man of strong morals and character, yet he found himself in a compromising position when he was apart of a system that failed America time and time over. As a black man who took an oath to serve his country, he had no choice but to be a good negro and support the descisions made by congress, as well as our (idiot) President of the United States.

If we are to have a leader for this Generation X, can he create conflicts of interests by supporting white political parties, yet reamin focused to lead black America in the struggle against racism, discrimination, poverty and other issues we face today?

Can we afford to form alliances with the very monster that we are trying to conquer?

There's no question that we need a serious candidate that is not into "fitting in" the corporate box of what a good black leader is suppose to do for his country. Is it possible, because it seems to me as if every intelligent and well educated man (or woman!) of good character works for the government.

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    frankly, it strikes me that any "intelligent and well educated" person is gonna walk away from the crap really really fast!! i was just amazed at all the intelligence i found living on the streets, or labeled as "mentally ill". (no, in neither case are we referring to the same people. sure, those folks are also out there in the streets and also labeled as "mentally ill", but one really must look outside of the box that "we" have been programmed to "believe in". one learns a lot about people working in a homeless shelter run and managed by homeless people for homeless people, as well as "informally" working as a para-professional within the mental health industry. i've always thought of both "life experiences" as "market research" and "needs assessment". <sigh> now if only i had ever been trained up to my capacity, i could put something together with all that knowledge!!)

frankly, as a Man that has taken that same oath, i feel that i am falling down in my duty by not stepping up and stepping them down! this country is not the place that it could have been, nor is it the place that would be the Spirit of what was intended. we have been invaded and occupied.

3. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

Brother I think we have taken the word "leader" and put it in place of a another word that we are trying to make it exist as. Let me clarify, "there are no black leaders in America".To imply black leadership would require a black state. Here are some requirement of a black state:
    • This black state would be governed by a black leader(s).
    • This black state would adhere to laws created by the black leadership of the black state.
    • The black leadership would command and armed force in defense of the black state.
    • The black state would have it's own economy governed by the black leadership.
    • The black state would be independent and governed solely by it's black leadership and not bey any other states or union of states.

There is no such place in America. Even black politicians are not solely indebted to black people. The American government insured this would not happen by revising district boundaries in order to change the demographic of the district which in turn diversified the constituency.

When working within the framework of this government system what we have is not leadership but advocacy. If we are to work within the system of government we need effective advocates to fight for things we have no control over..

We are to quick to have this messianic approach to our advocacy. We want our advocates to save us when really all he or she can do is fight our battles within a system not designed for us....

There are some universal things we can do as individuals that don't require partisanship or political motivation of any kind that will change our social dilemma. Here are a few.

Families:

• Turn off all the televisions, telephones and radios in your house for at least 4 hours a day besides the time spent sleeping...
    • Reading a book aloud to each other that contains applicable knowledge for 1 hour a day.
    • Discuss what the book was about for 1 hour...
    • Have a family discussion for 1 hour a day...
    • Have a physical activity that involves the whole family for 1 hour a day....
    • Eat dinner together away from the television everyday...
    • Set boundaries for your children and enforce them....
    • Be another example for your children to emulate.

Single:

• Turn off the television, phone and radio for at least 2 hours a day besides the time spent sleeping.
    • Read a book for at least 1 hour a day that contains applicable knowledge.
    • Get out of the house and do some sort of physical activity for at least 1 hour a day besides work...
    • Volunteer at least 2 hours a week of your time to an activity that helps a child, elderly people or poverty stricken people...
    • Get to know your neighbors...
    • Activity seek ways to improve your situation..
    • Share knowledge...

Quite often when we begin to improve ourselves, we begin to make better choices. When make better choices we begin to lead ourselves...When we have this going on in our communities our communities will police themselves. Than we will be able to hold our advocates to a high standard than just being paid for non performance....

Peace.....

4. Coach707

Ratings:
    +1
    Valuable insight Brother Radical Faith However, there is one part that I tend to disagree on. You said that in order to have a black leader we must have a black state. Being as though this is almost impossible realistically, we have to look at things from a cultural perspective. Our culture, communities and organized religion is our black state. That is all that we have right now. almost every city in every state had a black community, so we need to work with what we have in order to get full value of this generation's existence. Our black state has to be the empowerment and improvement of our communities, the push for the value of education, economic intelligence as well as spiritual growth.

I think that instead of asking for more it is imperative that we take advantage of what we have. Brotha Radical most people dont think about it, but we are only 50 years replaced from having the rights that we all take for granted. Thats not a long time, but if you look at how our communities have responded to the courage and faith from the black men and women before us, you'd think that we were here in the states from the brink of existence.

I totally agree with you on all other points. The issue is how are we going to light the fire for a new movement. Of course there are things that we do to make sure that our families are well-rounded individuals. But in this fight against the "monster" the strenght is in the numbers. We need like minded black men and women to get together and form the revelation for the next generation to follow. The question is how?

5. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I think black leaders with pure intentions would be necessary to develop a black state.

6. Coach707

Ratings:
    +1
    What are we talking about? A physical state like Florida or Texas? Or the state of black America?

7. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Well, to me it would be possessing a community that is extremely self-reliant. However, some view it as actually establishing a separate nation.

Not sure what perspective RF is speaking of, but for me it's more of possessing a state of independence.