Black People : Food Drive to African Nations

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by karmashines, Feb 9, 2006.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    On another thread, there was discussion of a woman trying to send dog food to starving people in Kenya.

In my opinion, this is not an offer of true charity, but an act of racism, whether intentioned or not. Regardless, I do know that middle & upper-class blacks either here or abroad have access to an abundance of food. I especially know how things are for middle-class African Americans.

So, if Black Americans and other established blacks around the world were to pool together resources, how could a food drive be implemented to send food to blacks less fortunate? Do you know of any black-owned charities right now that are sending food? What costs need to be considered? How can individuals start these types of things? Are there cultural considerations that need to be thought about, especially since some African nations are Muslim?

Note to mods: the post has shown up 3 times, and I can't delete the other two. Please delete the other two. Thank you.

2. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    brother pan pointed out some common kenyan foods in the other thread. im thinking corn meal, rice, potatoes. my biggest q would be how to get the food distributed. we need to contact kenyan diplomats, religeous groups, or educational groups.it would be a matter of a few peole even one or two, actually purchasing the food say from sams, or fedco, some other bulk sales outlet. then getting the food shipped and making sure it gets into the right hands.

the first step should choosing exactly what we will send , then raising money to purchase it. we should calculate shipping as well. we could also find charity and religeous groups as well.

im in, i think rice, potatoes, and dried fruits would be a great start! we could buy from black farmers in the southern u.s. this will nurish two burds with one dollar!

3. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    The little I know tells me we need to find a way to cut out the political red tape that typically prevents assistance from getting where it needs to be.....otherwise the idea---at least used as a temporary solutions-----is more viable than food intended for animal consumption and helps us to connect with our Black continental family.

4. karmashines

Ratings:
    +19
    I don't disagree, but how?

Poetic talked about how there is a drought over there... there is not much you can do when mother nature (for the time being) is not on your side.

I think long-term independence for them is going to depend on how well they can trade with outside sources both with blacks here and in Africa.

But for now, the issue is survival, and I believe that most middle-class blacks in America or other nations around the world are in a position to give. Almost all of us have extra canned food that we weren't planning to eat anyway, or could give mone. And it doesn't have to be much, because the power of numbers could be on our side... $1 from 1 million people is 1 million dollars. This is what we have to consider when so many of us as individuals just aren't floating around with an excess of funds.

5. karmashines

Ratings:
    +19
    Shipping is going to be the biggest problem.

Using church is not a bad idea... they have a lot more knowledge of how to run these types of things. I'll try to write a letter to my former pastor on all of this; and send him that article. He's entreprenruial-minded, and seems to geninuely care about his faith so I think he would consider such an idea. He's also a black man with pride, so I would think this would touch his heart like it has most of us. It's a small step, but I'm not sure what else to do at the moment to jumpstart such a venture.

6. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812

I understand...but, like I said, we'd have to research so that the survival goods don't get caught up in red tape, 'cause I genuinely don't know how to speed up the process at this point...but, the path you suggested may work with little hassle....

7. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    It can be done. My church shipped barrels upon barrels of clothes, shoes, eye glasses and non perrishable food to Liberia. If one wants to ship these kinds of things there are several things to consider. First one must find and organization that specializes this sort of thing...Shipping food is vary complicated. Food contains biological threat to the countries natural ecology. This is why it's best to send canned, dried and vacuum sealed non perrishable food in sealed containers. Another thing one must consider is the African customs and immigration department. Unfortunately many of these the governments and there offices are extremely corrupt. Noble causes get exploited over in Africa. This is why we must support establish international agencies that are there doing work...It could take years to grease enough palms to set up shop. Last but not least it takes money. Lots of money to make this happen...

Peace....

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    count me in , for such a worthy cause
    beans , Rice and can goods would be great to start with
    we can form a food drive fine the right resourses to move it
    from one place to the next , there are many churches that do this
    we just have to make sure it reach the right hands so it can be
    spreaded equally , it's a matter of someone stepping up taking
    charge and making it happen anyone can start a Drive for a cause.

9. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

"How can individuals start these types of things?"

Simple. Start a "Material Aid" campaign. This was one thing that some of us did during the anti-apartheid movement. It can involve local churches and/or community and student organizations. Donations can be made to the consulate general or local Kenyan relief agencies or churches/community agencies..

10. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    Count me in too!
    I'm going to print the article and post it in black churches!
    Black owned businessess and colleges!
    I am going to stock up on those nonperishable food items!