Black People : Flying Africans? Myth or Reality

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by tyab14, Aug 3, 2008.

1. tyab14

tyab14 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +78
    After the New Deal a project called Federal Writers Project was set up to go interview different peoples that had lived through slavery. A very interesting account was found in each community about groups of Africans who couldn't take the chattel slavery and "flew" back to Africa. In many accounts that I saw, the people weren't talking about a myth, they said they had literally seen people lift up and fly away. Where they truly talking about flying or were they talking about Africans escaping and going back to Africa? These accounts can be found in the book Drums and Shadows: Survival Studies among the Georgia Coastal Negroes

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-2895

The story that gives Ebos Landing its name is one of the most colorful and enduring tales in
    Ebos Landing Georgia's rich literary history. Better known as the "Myth of the Flying Africans," this narrative has been told and embellished for 200 years in the form of local legends, children's stories, movies, novels, and television shows. Based on an actual historical event, this remarkable tale of an Ebo (or Igbo) slave rebellion on St. Simons Island has become a powerful metaphor of African American courage, longing, and conviction.

The historical roots of the flying Africans legend can be traced back to the spring of 1803, when a group of Igbo slaves arrived in Savannah after enduring the nightmare of the Middle Passage. The Igbo (from what is now the nation of Nigeria, in central West Africa) were renowned throughout the American South for being fiercely independent and unwilling to tolerate the humiliations of chattel slavery. The Igbo who became known as the flying Africans were purchased at the slave market in Savannah by agents working on behalf of John Couper and Thomas Spalding. Loaded aboard a small vessel, the Igbo were confined below deck for the trip down the coast to St. Simons. During the course of the journey, however, the Igbo rose up in rebellion against the white agents, who jumped overboard and were drowned.

African American oral tradition, on the other hand, has preserved a very different account of the events that transpired that day. As with all oral histories, the facts of the story have evolved as storytellers elaborated the tale over the years, such that there are now dozens of variations on the original episode. In the late 1930s, more than 100 years after the Igbo uprising on St. Simons, members of the Federal Writers Project collected oral histories in the Sea Islands (many of which can now be found in Drums and Shadows: Survival Studies among the Georgia Coastal Negroes). An older African American man by the name of Wallace Quarterman was asked if he had heard the story of Ebos landing. Quarterman replied:

Ain't you heard about them? Well, at that time Mr. Blue he was the overseer and . . . Mr. Blue he go down one morning with a long whip for to whip them good. . . . Anyway, he whipped them good and they got together and stuck that hoe in the field and then . . . rose up in the sky and turned themselves into buzzards and flew right back to Africa. . . . Everybody knows about them.

2. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Its probably a fact. I'm inclined to think that it is true, because anything that we can do through the use of technology, can be done through the use of psychic/magical powers.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    Read "After God is Dibia", for insight.

Blackbird

4. Writspirit

Writspirit Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Is to make myself the best human being I can in th
    Ratings:
    +77
    Flying Africans

Malidoma Patrice in his book Of Water and the Spirit: Ritual, Magic and Initiation in the Life of an African Shaman writes about his experence growing up among the Dugara people in Upper Volta (now Burkina Faso). These people continue to hold the secrets of magic into modern day. Although, the Jesuit priests who lived nearby did everything in their power to rid the tribe of their beliefs and force their Christian religion upon them. Going so far as to kidnap young Dugara boys, including Malidoma, wherein the Jesuit priests subjected him to a life of cruelty and abuse as they tried to Europeanize these young Africans. After years, Malidoma escaped and returned to his village where he was given a magical baptism in order to help him overcome the teaching of the Europeans and take back his power.

The Dugara are one of the few known tribes left in modern day who still practice their ancestral magic. This is not myth, this is reality. Malidoma still lives.

5. tyab14

Ratings:
    +78
    Hotep,

I've read that one also and it does talk about the magickal things that happen in the societies. But our society is so disconnected from that aspect of our culture that reality is put inside an intellectual box.

6. tyab14

Ratings:
    +78
    I believe that!!

7. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    Great topic Bro. Tyab14. I also believe there is more truth to this than fiction. Even as we speak- in the Caribbean and especially in Haiti, people will tell you about sightings of flying people, most likely the local spiritualists that study those forms of magic. Years back however I thought it was ridiculous. The Human body is not designed for flight. But then I later learned from one of my teachers in metaphysics that there was a time when summoning the elements was as simple as clapping our hands. She told me all elements on earth are controlled by consciousness or spirits and all these "elementals" exist inbetween the astral plane and our plane. Flight is the mastery of levitation, levitation is the mastery of controlling the astral body within us- which lessens the hold gravity has on our physical body and summoning the elemental spirit of the wind. Sometimes an elemental spirit or spirits can lift you up on their own.

This is precisely what they are showing up with the X-Men character "Storm" how does she fly?

[​IMG]

Storm is basically the representation of African shamanic magic. She knows how to speak to elemental spirits of wind and control her astral body- which equals flight.

But did you hear the one about the Dutch Magician that learned levitation in India and did a ming boggling performance outside the White House?

Harnessing the power of gravity. So, if levitation is possible- why not flight?

Let's revisit this one again.

What about Simon Magus? Are some of these myths build to cover up magical battles in the Ancient world?

The apocryphal Acts of Peter gives a legendary tale of Simon Magus' death. Simon is performing magic in the Forum, and in order to prove himself to be a god, he levitates up into the air above the Forum. The apostle Peter prays to God to stop his flying, and he stops mid-air and falls into a place called the Sacra Via (meaning, Holy Way), breaking his legs "in three parts". The previously non-hostile crowd then stones him. Now gravely injured, he had some people carry him on a bed at night from Rome to Aricia, and was brought from there to Terracina to a person named Castor, who on accusations of sorcery was banished from Rome. The Acts then continue that he died "while being sorely cut by two physicians"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Magus

8. SeekingMaat

SeekingMaat Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +275
    Insight ....

one of my recent insights in the reclamation of our Divinity includes the ability to fly. A natural ability ..... based on the genetic makeup of people. So yes it is a reality ......

Peace

9. tyab14

Ratings:
    +78
    **** Meta, always bring the fire, with the posts. I also hear from people who live on different islands and in the bahamas that things such as this are normal and they wouldn't even flinch at the thought of people flying. I've heard of people walking through walls, shapeshifting, etc, etc.

In the video with the priest levitating, it looked like he had called on the elemental spirits to hold him in the air as it looked like he was struggling just being in their presence or at least struggling harnessing that energy.

I too believe that ancient stories are hidden in the myths, just like the ancient flying objects in the Hindu texts.

The question would be know though, did the other Africans who stayed and didn't fly or whatever happened off, did they still remember and past down the traditions? Even within secret symbols, myths, and stories? Toni Morrison shed some light on this in Songs of Solomon

10. Jahari Kavi

Jahari Kavi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Self Development
    Ratings:
    +523

thank you for the insight, I'll definitely being adding that book to my collection soon.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. myth of the flying africans

2. flying black people

3. black people can fly

4. black people used to fly,
  5. flying african,
  6. african slaves flying,
  7. slaves flew back to africa,
  8. the legendary myth of magic & sorcery,
  9. slaves flying back to africa?,
  10. flying african folktale,
  11. the myth of flying slaves,