Black Sports : Floyd-Spinks "99% done!"

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, Aug 11, 2006.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2/headlines//EEVVkVlAkVMkPwFmru.html

2. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    So which is worse, Floyd ducking all the good competition or JT taking a breather with Mora after 3 of the toughest fights against creme de la creme.

I'm sorry -- the luster is coming off PBF for me. When they called mosely pound 4 pound champ he would fight anybody, eventually even ODH got to where he'd fight anybody, but PBF wants to fight only chumps he knows he can beat. If he ducked margarito after being offered 8 mill that says a WHOLE lot to me! There's no way he's getting 8 mill to fight spinks is there?

He'll walk all over spinks, but folks should stop calling him pound 4 pound champ cause dude won't fight nobody.

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I have to disagree here, stepping up in wait and taking on the top guy is hardly avoiding competition. Corey Spinks beat Karizman, who was the top guy at 154 (the guy who beat Kassim Ouma). Mayweather will only be adding to his legacy by beating Spinks. JT on the other hand is taking on a guy who isn't even a top 10 contender. In no way are these fights comparable. Also I must say the legend of Magarito has grown larger than his actual ability. It isn't like he is undefeated and seemingly invincible. I saw him get outboxed and loss just two years ago, something his groupies try to overlook. PBF isn't ducking him, there are bigger fish to fry.

4. kemetkind

Ratings:
    +61

Come on now pan - being the level headed boxing aficionado that you are SURELY you can't say with a str8 face Cory spinks is the "Top Guy" at 154!!!

Spinks got a little help from the judges, he hung for dear life against Karmazin. The way I saw it he was helped tremendously by the ref bailing him out in close qtrs. He should've lost the last 6 rounds of the fight.

Also I'm not comparing the two fights (Taylor-mora, Spinks-Mayweather).

I'm comparing the fighters being willing to fight.

JT will go on record and fight anybody; he has not ducked anyone. PBF is ducking serious contenders.

What has PBF done that qualifies him as lb 4 lb champ?

Who has he beat? Castillo after he may have lost the first fight?

How can he claim he held 140 lb championship when he never fought hatton?

Can he claim welter when he won't fight baldomir?

When he beats spinks can he really claim he's 154 lb champion and add to his "LEGACY"....

I'm not saying PBF isn't an excellent fighter, but part of it is heart in my opinion and if you won't fight the best fighters you can't claim to be the best.

I'm calling it out right now, IF PBF gets in the ring with a real contender he will get exposed...especially if he tries to do it at 154. If judah can out box him str8 up for 4 rounds he's not as great as everyone is making him out to be.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but I'd bet EITHER ODH or Mosely could handle him and both those guys are well past their primes.

He would murder Hatton but I'm still mad at him cause he won't just do it and shut all these yurugu up!

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Mayweather vs Baldomir!

http://www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2/headlines//EEVVVZFyFAyXExTfXz.html

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Well brother Kemetkind, this answers some of your criticism. I do agree that Mayweather did not capture the true Jr. Welterweight title, because he didn't fight Ricky Hatton. However I think that was due to Hatton's reluctance to leave London, until recently. As far as why Mayweather is considered #1 PFP while JT isn't. The number one pound for pound is considered to be the most talented fighter in boxing. It usually goes to a fighter who has either captured titles in multiple weight classes, or one who has absolutely dominated one particular division. Floyd Mayweather has done both, while Jermain Taylor has done neither. It really is as simple as that. Floyd was the man at Superfeatherweight for years. He has beat future hall of famers like Deigo Corralles and Jose Louis Castillo (in their primes), and has captured titles in 4 different weight divisions. JT while an excellent fighter and a world champion won two close and controversial decisions over a 40 year old past his prime (although still good) Bernard Hopkins; and he struggled mightily to a controversial draw against Winky Wright. Fighters don't even crack the top 10 PFP fighters with that record. JT might get there one day, but he still has some work to do. Arkansas is going to have to be a little patient!

7. kemetkind

Ratings:
    +61
    Hee hee

OK Brother Pan now THAT was pretty skillfull seeing as how I never said anything about JT should be lb 4 lb champ!

However, implying he is not top 10 is kinda bold, ring magazine has him #4 behind manny, winky and your boy floyd.

JT is still raw, he hasn't even had 30 pro fights, and only 1 with a top flight trainer....which is all the more reason why I give him his props cause he's been willing to step up and fight opponents with superior skills and experience.

But still I never said he should be PFP over Floyd, I'm saying Floyd has too much hype that he hasn't backed up in a while.

He's riding high off some flashy victories which in hindsight don't look so flashy...

Look at his last few fights...
    Zab Judah - already owned by baldomir
    Sharmba Mitchell - who?
    Arturo Gatti - flashy win
    Henry Bruseles - who?
    Demarcus Corley - got roughed up a bit in that one

They started callling him PFP when he beat up Gatti, but seeing how everybody else beats up Gatti these days I'm not convinced.

If he knocks out Baldomir that will be saying something....(dude's Chin is rock)....so I'm glad he took the fight.

But as of right now I'd say winky has earned the PFP more than floyd ( even though he ran the 12th round and gave JT a draw).

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    You might want to do a little research on Sharmba Mitchell, he is not and was not a nobody.

9. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    ....here's my 2 cent........Sharmba Mitchell is a solid fighter let me change that Sharmba is a good fighter......here's his bio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharmba_Mitchell

as to the others ...what I like to see from fighters is them winning however they have to....I like flashy wins and grind em out wins to me that shows character and heart.........I personally believe Floyd Jr is one of the best boxers ever.......watch him.....objectively ... from a technical standpoint ......he is razor sharp man.....check it.....he was 86-4 as an amateur and is not 36-0 ..... champ in 4 weight divisions and yeah made Diego's camp throw in the towel which is putting in real work.......and that's when the P4P talk started......I think Floyd can knock Baldomir out.....not with one punch but accumlation is a mutha......and Baldomir has never been accused of being hard to hit.....Floyd just don't want to stand in there with him and trade like Gatti did...Baldomir is accurate and good as hell inside plus he's a big man like I said earlier Baldomir walks around right at or around 200 pounds ....as long as Floyd don't hurt his hands he'll be alright...

For him not taking the Margarito fight.....to my way of thinking he figured he was going to get a fight with Oscar late this year so he turned it down....I hope that at some point he does fight Margarito...I believe he would outbox Margarito easily...dude is a prototypical Mexican fighter......tough as hell not hard to find and hit but with limited boxing skill...he's a fighter with good power and a solid chin....(Mexican fighter) but he ain't got good handspeed and his footwork isn't that good either so....but that's neither here nor there.....

I agree that Wink is one of the greats but to my mind if he don't go after JT again he's losing points...(in my book anyway) ...
    JT if he keeps progressing and learning then he'll be a great fighter no doubt maybe one of the best he got pop and he ain't afraid I don't think the Mora fight is the way to go....especially as far as legacy building goes.....I would be trying to set a fight date between JT and Felix Sturm if it was me.......get JT working to unify and at that point start taking out the number 1 contender on down.........but boxing is a business and looking at it from that standpoint I can see why a fight with Mora is an attractive one especially with Mora having as much power as my 7 year old and the name recognition from the TV show.......

so I'm taking Floyd Jr. over Baldomir as a sure shot and I'm doing side action on the Late round knock out ..not sure which round yet ....

MississippiRed

10. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I got Floyd by a knockout

I agree with MississippiRed. An Accumulation of punches can break anyone down...and Floyd will put a lot of accurate punches on Baldomir. I don't see Floyd standing toe to toe with Baldmoir like he did in his fight with Chop Chop. I think he's mastered ring generalship. He's almost the only fighter who can do it and make it look like art. Speed, angles, moving his feet...Baldomir can't hang with that. He'll get knocked out or the ref will call it quits.

I also think that the Margarito fight was postponed for a fight with Oscar. Hey, I would have done the same thing too...shooooooo. $8 million dollars vs $20 million (my estimate) plus a piece of the PPV sales. Floyd would have been a fool to pass that up. All these other cats can wait in line to get waxed by Floyd at a later date. :lol: