Black Sports : Floyd Mayweather Vs. Arturo Gatti this saturday

Comcast - I think I will look for other ways to catch the fights

I couldn't see the fight because of some "technical problem" they were having in my area. After missing 50 minutes of the fight, I canceled it. I'll have to catch the fight on saturday on HBO. :maddd:

Monetary said:
I couldn't see the fight because of some "technical problem" they were having in my area. After missing 50 minutes of the fight, I canceled it. I'll have to catch the fight on saturday on HBO. :maddd:

That is messed up Money....take my word for it, Floyd completely dominated. Gatti showed up, and did little else. I expected total domination, and that is what happened. Floyd was quoted at saying he was born not only to be a champion, but to be a superstar! He is both, Floyd Mayweather is a future hall of famer hands down. This young brother is heading for greatness.

P.S. On a side note Vivian Harris got knocked out, and lost his title. He came out looking wild, unbalanced, and undiscliplined. He tried to knock out his opponent early and was looking winded in the first round! His opponent took everything he had, and gave his own....finally knocking him out in the 8th round, with a left hook counter. It was ironic because Vivian Harris has been turning down some big money fights over the past year or so, because he thought he deserved more. He had opportunities to fight Kostya Tzsyu and Ricky Hatton, but passed. Yet last night he was fighting for only $70,000, and he lost his title. He took a gamble for pay-per-view exposure!

Post Fight Comments

"What else can I say," Floyd Mayweather asked all those in attendance at the post-fight press conference for his win against Arturo Gatti. "I think it was a good fight and I was the better man tonight," said the unbeaten WBC Junior Welterweight titlist.

"He was just a quicker fighter than I thought he was," said a swollen Arturo Gatti. "I fought my best. He's a great champion and he deserves that title," Gatti said.

Gatti said he agreed with trainer "Buddy" McGirt's stoppage after the sixth round had been completed. "My trainer felt like I was taking too many punches. That I was getting hit too much and I felt the same," he said.

"I think it was the right decision. I want to come back at 147 one more time."

Gatti, who rarely attends post-fight press conferences due to savage nature of his bouts, spoke briefly before Mayweather arrived.

With a wide smile Mayweather was a different person than the trash-talker of weeks prior. "I don't hate Arturo Gatti. He gave it his all. I respect him as a fighter."

As for the future Mayweather said he was willing to fight anyone. "We're just looking forward to big fights. I only want to fight big fights. I showed the people that I deserve to be on Pay-Per-View."

Mayweather may not have to look far for big fights as undisputed Junior Welterweight king Ricky Hatton took in the action from ringside. "I would love to do it in New York - me and Ricky Hatton," said the still unbeaten Mayweather.

"I'm not blowing smoke," said Mayweather's promoter Bob Arum. "This is the greatest fighter of our time. This is the greatest fighter in the world."

Although Mayweather's contract with Arum expired with his win over Gatti, Mayweather seemed optimistic that the two would continue to work together. Top Rank has rights of first refusal and last-refusal for upcoming Mayweather fights.

As for the fight itself punch stats emphasized Mayweather's dominance. He landed 168 punches out of 295 for an astonishing connect percentage of 57 compared to a dismal 17 percent for Gatti. Power punches were even worse with Mayweather landed at a percentage of 63 compared to only 18 for Gatti.

Official scorecards at the time had Mayweather winning every round. Judges David Moretti and Luis Rivera both had Mayweather ahead 60-52 while John Stewart had it 60-53. Stewart somehow discounted referee Earl Morton's eight count in the first and scored it 10-9 for Mayweather instead of 10-8 like the other two judges.

Both fighters will receive a portion of the Pay-Per-View sales. Before those numbers are tallied however, Gatti was promised $3.5 million while Mayweather would get $3.1 million.

For those who missed the fight HBO will re-play it Thursday June 30th at 10 PM Eastern and next Saturday July 2nd at 11 PM Eastern.

http://www.fightnews.com/richardson155.htm

panafrica said:
That is messed up Money....take my word for it, Floyd completely dominated. Gatti showed up, and did little else. I expected total domination, and that is what happened. Floyd was quoted at saying he was born not only to be a champion, but to be a superstar! He is both, Floyd Mayweather is a future hall of famer hands down. This young brother is heading for greatness.

P.S. On a side note Vivian Harris got knocked out, and lost his title. He came out looking wild, unbalanced, and undiscliplined. He tried to knock out his opponent early and was looking winded in the first round! His opponent took everything he had, and gave his own....finally knocking him out in the 8th round, with a left hook counter. It was ironic because Vivian Harris has been turning down some big money fights over the past year or so, because he thought he deserved more. He had opportunities to fight Kostya Tzsyu and Ricky Hatton, but passed. Yet last night he was fighting for only $70,000, and he lost his title. He took a gamble for pay-per-view exposure!

Mannnnnnn, I wanted to see this fight so badly. But, my access was not possible. I'll see it on Thursday night though. I guarantee you that.

I knew it was going to be a great fight. But, to pitch a shutout like this.... But Mayweather did a lot more boxing than brawling. That's good.

I believe the same thing is going to happen with Ricky Hatton as well. However, I don't think Ricky believes that. :lol:

I think a Mayweather vs Cotto fight will be a little slower because both of them are boxers. But, I believe Mayweather will get the best of him too.

Just a thought: Could Mayweather be the Tyson of this era? QQn

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back