Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : flaky scalp

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by nubian noir, Jan 1, 2007.

1. nubian noir

nubian noir Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +35
    I have natural hair. I also have a problem with flaky scalp can someone help?

2. monet1027

monet1027 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Witch hazel is good for dry scalp. Try and stay away from some of the medicated shampoos which will dry out your hair--there are natural alternatives that can be found at a health food store to apply directly to your scalp. Also, look into your diet and water consumption.............

3. blackberryjam

blackberryjam Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +7
    Tea Tree oil.. alot of natural shampoo and hair products have it.. tea tree oil is a great for a itchy flaky scalp

4. nubian noir

nubian noir Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +35
    Is the tea tree oil and witchazel used like a conditioner or hot oil treatment?

5. monet1027

Ratings:
    +0
    No, you would apply it more to the scalp than to your hair. Try conrowing your hair--(to get your hair out of the way)--take a Q-Tip and dip it in the witch hazel and then use the Q-Tip to apply the witch hazel to your scalp.

6. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    what about bruthas with afros....and 'dandruff'

7. monet1027

Ratings:
    +0
    Brothaman...........

do you oil your scalp? After you wash your hair with a moisturizing shampoo--oil your scalp with a light oil like coconut oil, olive oil, or carrot oil.
    Also make sure you are drinking the recommended 8 glasses of water per day-if not more.

8. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    'cooking oil'? I am not sure about using that,but as far as 'oiling' goes do you mean pour oil into it and let it sit or just pour oil into it and wash it out.

the flakes cause a white film to appear in my afro...

are there any 'common' natural products for such a thing besides the medicated versions?

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Brother I-Khan ... oiling your scalp means parting your hair, and taking a little "vaseline" and putting it on the scalp, where the hair is parted. Do this all the way around your head, insuring that your entire scalp has been oiled.

This may be kinda weird ... but i use vaseline to oil my scalp. My hair is very thick and my scalp can get very dry too, quickly. My scalp seems to love the vaseline, just drinks it in almost, all thirsty-like and stuff! I've only been wearing my hair naturally for about a year now, and don't have a lot of experience with a whole bunch of different products, as the vaseline works for me. It's the only oil i use in my hair, for the most part.

Too ... what could be looking like dandruff is really just dry skin / scalp. I'd suggest giving the vaseline a try. Yep, just plain ol' vaseline.

Hope it helps.

:heart:

Destee

10. monet1027

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you---

for the clarification, Sista.