Haiti : First to be free from white colonization, have we forgotten Haiti?

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Ankhur, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    There has been a constant dialogue of the Global Black communitie's indebtedness to Haiti; Boukman, Toussant Louvetour, and Henri Christophe, for their battle against white supremcy, and the international symbolism of that great effort to all people of African descent,

but usually when a person gets out of a hospital from trauma, there is a period where the close family must assist in recuperation,

have we forgotten Haiti after the hurricane?

I have been invited by KOFAVIV, a local women’s organization, to learn first-hand and on the ground what life is like in the camps. I am as prepared as I think I can be, which, in hindsight, is to say not at all prepared. Despite all my research and planning, nothing could have made me truly ready for the reality of Croix des Prez.

My expectations are challenged immediately. As I wait for my camp contact, Blaise Laloune to arrive, I realize that I am standing on top of the roof of a collapsed house. It is a difficult reality to take in. Wilclair Jean, a man who waits with me, realizes what I am thinking and says to me, “Sixty-eight people died here.”

He gestures around the camp while he tells me, “We are standing on their bodies; they are under us, and we walk on them every day.”

In a statement that somehow sums up the general situation of failure on the part of the international aid organizations in Haiti, Jean says, “No one has come to help us to get them out.” It is a phrase I will hear many times over before I leave the camp: “No one has come to help.”

One man I meet asks me, “Has the world forgotten Haiti?”

From the looks of Croix des Prez and the other camps I have visited, the answer has to be yes. In the ways that most matter – providing for people’s basic human needs – the world indeed seems to have forgotten Haiti.

How could this situation, one that is quite frankly unimaginable for anyone who isn’t here to see, smell, hear and breathe it, be allowed to continue? It as if, four months after the collapse of the World Trade Center towers, no reconstruction work had been done and Americans were living in the ruins of the buildings, cooking meals, bathing their children, struggling with each other for scarce resources, and living their lives without much hope for the future.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/06/08-9

2. Chinelo

Chinelo Third Eye Is Always Open MEMBER

Removing LIES And Spreading The Truth
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    I think the whitewashed have forgotten, and also i KNOW this beast haven't forgot the whippin they took, henceforth my belief that the recent events and historical actions towards our brothers and sisters down there are no COINCIDENCE.......:SuN042:

3. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    “Has the world forgotten Haiti?”

Yes, the world, the "western white world" has forgotten Haiti!

4. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    but usually when a person gets out of a hospital from trauma, there is a period where the close family must assist in recuperation,

have we as folks of African descent forgotten Haiti after the hurricane?

5. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    I dont think that we as folks of African descent have forgotten Haiti. I think it is more a case of indifference.

How many of us actually have done more than talk about the plight of the Haitian people? How many of us are actually in a position of providing direct material aid?

Its not my intention to come off as cynical or contrary. Just answering the question as straightforward as possible.

I remember in these very threads the tone created when some folks used to criticize black folks for lack of response after hurricane Katrina. I had just came back posting here after a 3 year absence and remember clearly the climate because i was also in the process of moving to Texas at the time while trying to connect with family in Texas and Louisiana who had been displaced by the hurricane. It took me a few months before i was even able to go directly to New Orleans and check on family and by that time everyone in my family who remained in NOLA before the Hurricane, left afterwards. And my folks had been in NOLA since the early 1700s.

The first thing i did when i moved back to los angeles in 2008 was visit the crenshaw district near my aunt's art gallery in leimert part. Unbelievably, there are black business areas that are still burned out from the 1992 "Uprising". In the same area of Majic Johnson Enterprises, which is a major developer in the area.

If we are not Community Building within our own communities, we are then in no position to re-build anywhere else. This is unfortunate, but it is what it is.

6. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Thank you brother but let us be honest and open

I made a post about community development before and it seems to be a moot topic no one is interested in, but lets get real,

every one has a heart, even the guy sleeping on the subway and, before anyone even thinks or even comes out their mouth talking about sending dollars somewhere, that may or may not get somewhere, what exactly is wrong with discussing some concern?

When Malcolm was assasinated at the Audobon Ballroom here in Harlem , he was not economically well off and was in harsh financial situation but hedid have the heart to try to present to the Harlem community collectiveefforts to get all of us out of ecnomic straights

I appreciate your response but there is the personal approach,

and then there is the altruistic and empathic approach that leaves ego out and concentrates on the plight, and suffereing of the masses

7. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    What does ego have to do with what i was saying?

Just look at the objective conditions most Black people are living in. What position are Black people within the borders of the united states in to assist others when we are not even assisting ourselves?

8. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    As a brother astute in history I am sure you are aware that when folks were enslaved the same excuse was made about freedom.

When freedom was achieved the same excuse as made by folks with nothing but the rags on their backs and the cars of the greates crime in the world engraved in their backs for life, when folks were talking about uniting back then.

When Garvey told poor Black folks in Harlem, who had escaped lynchings in the south and had to deal with fears of eviction, and menial labor, with no benefits,
    his vision of Black Nationalism, and self sufficiency

9. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Im not making excuses. I just dont understand one thing about you. Constantly asking questions then battering down responses as if you know all the answers to the questions you constantly ask.

I dont need a historical rundown on garveyism in the context of modern catastrophies.

I do however appreciate the influence Garvey had on rastafarianism and respect even more the Shashamane community who took Garveyism to the level of repatriation and is building schools in Ethiopia.

Haitians did not run to our aid after Katrina and most of us are not running to Haiti's aid either. Can you honestly say you are doing more than those you raise the questions to? And more than those you openly criticize?

Perhaps you need to revisit the Messenger's teachings concerning our "open enemies" and heed that message.

10. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560