Black Spirituality Religion : "First Ministers Were Licensed to Control"

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Fine1952, May 20, 2006.

1. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,775
    Has anything changed, really? :angel1:

-----------------

Has anything changed?

Fine1952

----------------------------------------- ---

Dirty Little Secrets (249 pages) -- Pg. 6

By Dr. Claud Anderson

The American War for independence gave blacks, both free and enslaved, cause to express their interest in religious freedom. But fearing blacks would use the Bible to seek freedom, education, or black unity, white applied strict limits to black religious services. While a few blacks, mostly "house" as opposed to "field" slaves, were allowed to attend services with whites, they were required to sit in separate all-black sections.

Once white slaveowners realized that religion could serve as an excellent mechanism to control slaves, they allowed field blacks to attend services as long as they were accompanied by a white "overseer". Because owners did not want black field hands in their own churches, they built modest chapels for them on their plantations.

By the latter part of the 18th century, whites in many slave states decided to allow blacks to build their own churches and conduct their own religious services. This change of heart may have been motivated in part by a sincere desire to encourage the Christianizing of blacks, but the relentless push for increased control was never far from the surface. In response the independent services conducted by and for blacks, a national policy evolved requiring whites to select and license all black preachers. Dominant white society controlled black religion, its ministers, and churches. Catechisms for religious instruction of slaves commonly bore such passages as:

Q. Who gave you a master and a mistress?

A. God gave them to me.

Q. Who says that you must obey them?

A. God says that I must.

A black congregation had the potential of being a source of unrest, so slaveowners allowed only the most pliable, compromising, and controllable blacks to become licensed as the ministerial head of black congregations. The licensed black ministers were expected to encourage their fellow black to be meek, obedient, and accepting of whites as masters. In this arrangement, blacks were to remain loyal to whites, and worldly gratification was postponed until after death.

The licensed black preachers were supposed t defer to secular authorities on political matters and avoid comments on the injustices blacks suffered. Since blacks could not develop businesses nor enter the professional ranks, the ministry became a business as well as a job. Black ministers began cropping up across the nation. Unlike in white communities, they became instant leaders. Popularity, respect and and income security came with the position. There were no educational requirements, only a social obligation to support the status quo between the races.

It was not difficult to find blacks in every community and plantation willing to accept the prescribed leadership role for a preacher. In 1783, for instance, Jesse Peters became one of the first blacks to receive a preaching license. He was appointed to lead America's first Negro Baptist Church, located in Silver Bluff, South Carolina.

Joseph Willis was the first to deliver a Protestant sermon west of the Mississippi River, where the budding minister also moderated the first statewide Baptist organization, the Louisiana Association. Black churches are now the oldest black business in America and one of the few to survive integration.

------------------------------------

THE TESTIMONY OF PASTOR HAGINS' TRANSITION
    FROM CHRISTIANITY TO AFRIKAN CONSCIOUSNESS
    By Brother Ray Hagins
    http://thetruthcenter.com/page/q0bd/Paper s__Lecture_Transcripts__Etc.html

The more I researched, the more I realized that the entire program that I had been indoctrinated into was a LIE. In 1993, I decided to leave the ministry that I was so popular in and knew so well. I simply could not, any longer, stand in front of my people and teach that which I had found to be a stolen, copied, plagiarized and European fabricated version of the ancient concepts of Afrikan spirituality.

This was the most painful period of my life. At one point I had become so depressed about my believing in LIES that I even had thoughts of suicide. How could I have been so wrong??? I couldn’t understand how I actually experienced “the power of God” moving upon me in mighty and awesome ways in the past IF this was all a lie??? I felt betrayed, humiliated, deceived, confused, unworthy, and like a complete failure.

Now, I wasn’t feeling all this because of the truths that I had come to find out about. No! For these truths were UNDENIABLE EVIDENCES that DEMANDED AN UNDENIABLE and INEVITABLE VERDICT! That verdict was that I had been lied to! I was angry with all those who taught me these lies (my parents, my teachers, my professors, etc.). The ONLY thing that helped me in this area was coming to the realization that the same dog that bit me, bit my parents too! They were only teaching me what they had been taught.

This, however, that doesn’t apply to my seminary professors. I met with my the president of the seminary I graduated from, and asked him, “Why isn’t this information a part of the curriculum and course requirements for a degree in Sacred Literature?” He said to me, “You don’t need to know about that. Besides, it is not substantial data within the context of the mission statement of this institution.” He had just told me, in a politically correct way, that I had been trained in one of the biggest LIES of all time and that I was supposed to perpetuate this LIE and train others in it.

After several years of securing the proper education of right knowledge, I efficaciously returned to the pulpit in February of 1998, when I became the pastor of Ephesus Missionary Baptist Church in St. Louis (which is another discourse all by itself). Through an old wise man, God convicted me in September of 1997 by asking me; “Son, if you young folk, whose eyes have been opened to the truth, abandon our people (who don’t know no better), then what hope is there for us?” Then he said, “God DID call you to preach, but to preach the TRUTH!”

Hence, here I am…

----------------------------------

Pope Leo X -- "Does it not profit us in this fable of Christ?" -- Dr. Ray Hagins

2. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    If this is true, how did black preachers profit from the churches without the slave masters not knowing or taking their profits/tides!

3. Fine1952

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,775
    Naturally,

in the early years black preachers did not profit.

But, however today they rake in the money....tax free!

4. cursed heart

Ratings:
    +38
    So why tide now?
    Where did this 10 percent of your earnings thing come from?
    If the churches stayed open without tides back in those days, than why can't they stay open now, without asking the congregation for a certain amount of money?

5. Fine1952

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,775
    IMHO

It's all big business now.

Q. Where did this 10 percent of your earnings thing come from?
    A. Abraham then Catholism then on into Western Civilization inside
    the many churches that exist today.

Q. If the churches stayed open without tides back in those days, than why can't they stay open now, without asking the congregation for a certain amount of money?
    A. Because the pastor, reverend, minister needs certain amended accommodation:
    1. Paid house note
    2. Paid car note

6. cursed heart

Ratings:
    +38
    I've always known why they asked for offering but not where it orignated from.
    Thank you fine1952

7. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    According to whats on the 'net', tithing is NOT required under the 'New Testament'. But an offering from the heart is greatly encouraged. Somebody gotta pay the churches light bill.

8. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Actually-

If this may be of any help, according to one of Dr. Hagin's sermons, he mentioned [and proved] that in the Book of Malachi, the message (or messenger) was speaking to the Preachers/Priests when it said "You have robbed me in tithe(s) and offerings." Hence, the way today's pastors utilize it, quoting Malachi 3:8, and threatening "saints" with it is considered "false doctrine."

KD06

9. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    first ministers...

i think that when the good ministers figured out that the 10% given every sunday over x amount of months,yrs,would keep them in those caddies,lexus,benz,ect.they had the answer to[THIER]prayers...ISN'T THAT TEN PER CENT A BLESSING?..LET THE CHURCH SAY AMEN!

10. cursed heart

Ratings:
    +38
    What's really crazy is that some members are barely surviving financially and they think that giving that ten percent will cause them to be blessed.
    So what if none of the members have any money that day?