Science and Technology : First it was phishing, now 'smishing' is a growing problem

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by anAfrican, Apr 10, 2012.

1. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    SEATTLE -- Text mail spam is especially annoying, since you pay for that message unless you have an unlimited plan. It's also a growing problem. The New York Times reports that cell phone users in the U.S. received an estimated 4.5 billion spam texts last year. That's more than double the 2.2 billion text spam messages received in 2009.

And the volume of text spam will only increase as more of us get smart phones.

Plus, spammers are now using text messages to snag your personal information. With an email it's called "phishing" but on a cell phone, this scam is called "smishing." The goal is the same only the delivery method is different.

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    i don't hardly get any phone text spam ... but i made the mistake of signing up for sump'n ... and what i do that for

as soon as i did it ... i was like ... dang dang dang !!! ... :brickwall:

i knew i had did the wrong thing ... but it was too late ... ggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

but yeah ... you're right ... i can see why this is a growing problem

there was legislation, rules, or something ... that limited tele-marketers from calling your home phone

i guess it doesn't apply to phone text messages ... yet

thanks for sharing

Love You!

:heart:

Destee