Black People : First Black Marines Finally Honored

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Kemetstry, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148
    Montford Point Marines take home Congressional Gold Medal

By Jim Michaels, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON – Some relied on walkers, others canes. But they all struggled to their feet Thursday as the color guard passed and the Marine Band began playing in their honor.
    • [​IMG]
      By Craig L. Moran
      Lt. Gen. Robert P. Neller presents a congressional gold medal to a member of the Montford Point Marines during a ceremony held at the Marine Corps Barracks in Washington, D.C.
    EnlargeClose​
    By Craig L. Moran​
    Lt. Gen. Robert P. Neller presents a congressional gold medal to a member of the Montford Point Marines during a ceremony held at the Marine Corps Barracks in Washington, D.C.​
    Sponsored Link
    Under hazy skies, the Marine Corps honored more than 400 African-American Marines, many of whom served during World War II and are now well into their 80s. The men went to a segregated boot camp, called Montford Point, and served in all-black units afterward.
    "I never thought this day would ever come," said George Kidd, 87, who entered the Marines in 1943 and was sent to Montford Point. "They could never bestow any greater recognition than this."
    The Montford Point Marines, as they are sometimes known, received the Congressional Gold Medal on Wednesday. William "Jack" McDowell of Long Beach accepted the medal on behalf of all Montford Point veterans.
    During a ceremony Thursday at the Marine barracks not far from the Capitol Building, Marine general officers walked down the ranks of Montford Point Marines, presenting replicas of the medal — the nation's highest civilian honor — to each veteran.
    The Montford Point Marines never had a prominent place in history like the Tuskegee Airmen, black pilots who flew during World War II, or the Buffalo Soldiers, African-American units that fought during the Indian wars. In recent years, the Marine Corps became determined to change that.
    "I've been looking for this for 69 years," said Andrew Miles, 86, pointing to the medal hanging around his neck. "I feel good now. I can go away peacefully."
    About 20,000 Marines passed through Montford Point from 1942 and 1949, when it was closed and recruit training was integrated. Most of the African-American Marine units were support or guard units, but that made little difference in places such as Iwo Jima, where everyone with a rifle fought.
    Some encountered racism when they returned from overseas. Many tell of being refused service by Red Cross workers who were handing out free coffee when they traveled on troop trains in the United States. On the way to Montford Point they had to sit in special rail cars reserved for blacks.
    The men who arrived Thursday did not appear to harbor bitterness, saying the Marine Corps simply reflected society at the time.
    "Even though we knew we were not getting the same treatment as other Marines, we still loved the Marine Corps," said Theodore Peters, 89, of Chicago.
    Miles pointed out the presence of ranking black officers at the historic Marine Barracks, established in 1801.The Montford Point Marines helped pave the way for younger generations of African-Americans by proving themselves in training and in battle.
    "That makes me feel good," Miles said. "We proved to them we could do it."

2. Pharoethegreatest

Pharoethegreatest Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +32
    Semper Fidelis. Nice post here. Been in for 10 so far.......Yea its been an interesting ride I must say.

3. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    First let me say; "To each his/her own". In terms of the military? I do not advise anyone who is Afrakan in America to go into the military period. The first thing that we should remember is that, had our ancestors NOT BEEN ENSLAVED, none of them would have gone into the military as they saw that as the ONLY MEANS TO THEIR FREEDOM. Secondly, if my memory serves me correctly, outside of world war II, every land that our people have been sent to to fight has been people of color....meaning that America has been basically using our people to kill and control our people or people of color. So outside of Germany, name me another white nation or people that black people have been used to fight against?

Point three; When our enemy gives us honor, it only means that we have served THEIR CAUSE effectively....not OUR CAUSE but theirs. Furthermore, white people have sent a subconscious message home to our people that says that it's "okay to kill....but ONLY WHEN THEY SAY SO AND WHO THEY SAY TO KILL. As such, we have no problems in the military, the po po, the fbi or any other branch whereby we kill when THEY SAY SO and get paid chump change to do so. However, when it comes to doing the exact same acts for OUR PEOPLE for LEGITIMATE REASONS, we're as quiet as the silence of the lambs. Ok, I admit, all of this has to do with being brainwashed and conditioned because we can best know this to be a fact...."no conscious black man or woman who has knowledge of self" ever goes in the military...period!!! Why? Because the contradiction is too great for them to do so...so I already know who and what is in the military.

Point four; The people in the military today are thoroughly controlled in thought and in access to information, unlike back in the day. I was lucky. I too was in the Marines during the Vietnam era. I left school, was out in the streets doing nothing but discovering new ways to get into trouble. There wasn't no old heads or brothers trynna pull my coat to anything in terms of my life direction. There were no community or learning centers that I could go to and say, get some life skills or to learn about myself so as to be able to make good or productive decisions about myself or life.....and being that "there were no other doors left for me to walk through, I chose the only door that I was able to see, that in my ignorance I thought meant me some good when it clearly did not. Fortunately for me, my spirit rebelled against the type of programming that the Marines was trying to do to me and so I went AWOL.

AWOL was a good thing because once I hit the streets again and saw through the illusion of the military, I immediately got the way that they are. How are they? They don't ASK FOR THINGS, THEY TAKE IT!!!...so I started TAKING IT TOO!! It got me in prison but so what!...prison was better than serving them and doing what they said I should do, killing who they said I should kill and honoring what they said that I should honor. There's a lot more to this but the point is; WHEN MY ENEMY HONORS AND RESPECTS ME FOR THE WORK THAT I DID FOR THEM IN THEIR NAME AND IN THEIR HONOR, I AM NO LONGER EVEN WORTHY OF BEING CALLED AN AFRAKAN MAN!!!

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
  5. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148

About time they received their due

6. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148

.o0( OMG! You're a commie! )

lol

7. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148
    bot

8. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    What good does it do to give honors to someone after their death or near the end of their life ???

9. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148

Ask them. They were quite pleased. Just as the blacks who stormed Normandy were finally recognized under Clinton.

10. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148
    1ncemo