Pan Africanism : Find your actual Tribe and Region of Africa

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by HODEE, Dec 18, 2004.

1. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/159113465X/ref=sib_rdr_dp/103-2782864-1383039

This book is very different. It is a travel book yet it touches upon history and brainwashing of African Americans and how travel to Africa can change the brainwashing. I love Africa so this book did not directly concern me but people who have a bad image of Africa should buy this book. This book is not what I expected but it was a pleasant surprise. This book will make a Black person not be afraid to go to Africa to see it because it informs you of all the misrepresentions.

http://www.rootsrecovered.com/

Heard the author on the radio this morning. In the book he talks about using DNA to find the actual region of Africa and maybe even the tribe of your particular ancestry. Interesting and proof positive ( imagine the need to know, reparations, you could now apply to a particular embassy and get help and funding for housing, education loans and grants, you could also walk away with a coming home feeling and a healing completeness.. the reasons for finding out and visiting Africa is unlimited ) . I believe at least once everyone should take a trip to Africa.

You know how the whites always say: " Go back to Africa " That may be the best advice ever given. I believe I will take a trip back to Africa.

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Thank You for posting this information brother Hodee!

3. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    Retracing your Roots...

I'd like to make this info Hodee provided into a discussion....

Has anyone traced their geneology back to the Motherland and a specific country or peoples , and if so would you share the details : How you went about it and what you learned.

If you haven't yet, would you be interested in tracing your roots ? Why or why NOT...

Thanks !!!

Much...
    Peace & Love
    Akilah
    :book:

4. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    just saw this thread today hodee...thanks for info...i kind of remember reading about the DNA as a way of finding the specifics of ones african origins...interesting to see if many have done so and if the reconnected..
    thanks again for info

5. Prizefighter16

Prizefighter16 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    thanks Hodee, for the sites.
    to answer Deepy

I am actually interested in tracing my roots back to africa. It would be interesting to find out what tribe I originated from. I am Jamaican tho, so ofcourse, I will be learning about two cultures, and that will make it harder to find the root...however I already know some of my ancestral names. i.e. moses, and wisdom are the last names for my family in Jamaica. that should help, and the fact that patoi includes words from Africa, it should help me alot.

6. jrfem

jrfem New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    DNA is not that fun

I've heard that DNA doesn't work...i know, its heresay, but i was kinda disappointed, should look more into it...

I saw a nice little video on race and DNA and that DNA, can't really trace where your ancestors are from because DNA sequences are very diverse in africa, and almost every person not from africa, has a dna sequence similiar to at least one person africa, because of africa as the birth of civilation has the largest differences between individual DNA sequences so that they can spread throughout the world.

one group of people in africa have similar DNA sequences as everyone in america.

I'm probably explaining this really badly, but its nice that DNA didn't make everyone similar in africa, but sad that one can't trace back your ancestory with that method.

7. Seeley

Seeley Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    For Hodee Sake

:juggle: Hodee,

This may be a late post. I have not been around for a while. However, thanks for the info from Amazon.com. I just brought the book. Have been doing the family history for years now. It will be coming to a close soon.
    I have gained so much knowledge and information on our family history...it's almost to much to share.
    Hope others are really passionate about their's too. :teach: :angel1:

8. Seeley

Seeley Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    DNA is not that fun

I am interested in knowing more about why you think DNA does not work.
    If it works to get black men off of death row for not committing a crime, then it is worth it to me. I am struggling trying to save some money for me and my husband to trace our DNA. He need to know and I need to know because my father is right at this moment dying in a hospice. I need to know because my roots are two-fold. African-Indian roots. Hard to work on, but not impossible.
    Seeley,
    p.s. thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. It is good info.

9. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    First I would like to welcome you to Destee.com sister Seeley! Second I would like to express my sorrow about your father. Good luck on your goal of researching your family & DNA!

10. DreamFunk

DreamFunk Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    Nice info. And btw, our African ancestry is from all over West African--we are not from one particular group/tribe/region, but a mixture of several. In essence, we're West African mutts...lol.

And here's a good book for anyone interesting in starting genalogy research:
    Black Roots : A Beginners Guide To Tracing The African American Family Tree

And I found a whole bunch of stuff on Ancestry.com (they have a 14-day free trial). Two good free internet resources are:

http://www.afrigeneas.com
    http://www.rootsweb.com