Black Entertainment : Films Help Condition Black Males to Love White Females

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by famalert, May 23, 2012.

1. famalert

famalert Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +24
    Greetings Fam,

I'm concerned about Black male-Black female relationships and how pop culture in general, but the film industry in particular, undermines our connection to each other. A lot of movies portray Black males verbally and/or physically assaulting Black females but affectionately interacting with white females, Latinas, etc. in the same film. For example in "Any Given Sunday" a Black man gets into a screaming match with a Black woman and he curses her out. In contrast he comes in contact with a white woman and he smiles at her and asks her on a date. "Confessions of a Lonely House Wife" a Black man beats his Black wife with a belt and he threatens to kill her. In contrast, he's introduced to a Latina and he smiles at her and kisses her hand. For more examples of this check out the blog sistahwise at wordpress. Particularly the April 22 - April 30 posts.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    there are also many media depictions of black women being loved by white men.
    the whole idea is to get black people to turn away from one another.

3. famalert

Ratings:
    +24
    True, there are those relationships as well but when Black females are in relationships with white males on screen, Black females don't usually violate Black males. Black females are assaulted or treated as non-entities in a lot of films that pair Black males with white females. These images condition Black male movie goers to view and treat Black females as beings you assault and white females as people you exalt. We're inundated with that image and it does sabotage Black male Black female relationships. The stunning thing about these movies is that some Black filmmakers employ the same Black disconnect formula employed by some white filmmakers and other groups.

4. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    the system of white supremacy is bent on destroying black unity…..

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    this what they want us to see so we can fall under this madness and break away from our own

6. famalert

Ratings:
    +24
    Very true.

7. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    I do not think that Black men need a push to White women. White women take in rich and poor Black men.

Besides, it's not as if Black women don't pursue White men. If I didn't know better, I'd think 'education' meant "I['d] date a White man."

8. famalert

Ratings:
    +24
    I'm not implying Black men and white women wouldn't hook up without the influence of films, but there is a staggering number of movies that positively pair these two and a lot of films that negatively pair Black men and women. Black males who take in enough of these films are being conditioned to chose white females over Black females. It's akin to the movie industry mounting a propaganda campaign to disconnect Black relationships. Some Black women do pursue white men but there isn't nearly the propaganda that nudges her in a white man's direction and away from Black men.

9. Aluku

Aluku Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +135
    I'm not sure you can put this on the movie industry and I also don't know if it is as widespread as some would have us believe.

I saw a documentary a while back about successful black women who had a hard time finding a compatible brother. One of their complaints were that most available brothers were not cultured, traveled, educated enough. They were basically saying they couldn't bring a hood brother into their circle of peers.

I'm not sure how the flip side of this works.

10. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    i disagree. all over TV there are white men being shown as better mates for black women.