Black Entertainment : Filmmaker Claims Lee Daniels Ripped Off His Movie with ‘Empire’

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by UBNaturally, Mar 30, 2015.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Movie scenes filmed in SW Philadelphia

February 6, 2012

Award-winning producer, director and actor, Charles Dutton, was shooting pick-up scenes for a movie in Southwest Philadelphia on Monday.

In the film, "Must be the Music," Dutton plays a fictitious Philadelphia Music Mogul.

The film also stars Philadelphia local Tasha Smith, best known for her roles in the hit films, "Why Did I Get Married" and "Jumping the Broom."

upload_2015-3-30_1-19-24.png

In speaking of the film, Smith said, "As a little girl walking the streets of Camden, I dreamed about being an actress. I used to tell people that I see myself going to Hollywood and being in movies, and people used to think I was crazy. So I just stayed focused, pressed in to God and kept dreaming big."

upload_2015-3-30_1-23-40.png
    Charles Dutton with the children casted with Sowell Records and Entertainment

This film is just the beginning of what he hopes to become a franchise of films. "We started talking about what we could do here in Philadelphia," Dutton said, "Not just one movie, but get on a roll with it sort of like Tyler Perry did."

Filmmaker Claims Lee Daniels Ripped Off His Movie with ‘Empire’

upload_2015-3-30_0-57-30.png
    *Filmmaker Steve Gordon (left in the photo) claims Lee Daniels did something shady and stole his idea, which stars iconic actor Charles Dutton (right).

In an interview with CocoaFab, Gordon said the Fox music drama “Empire” ripped off his independent movie, “Must Be the Music.”

Filmmaker Says He Worked With Lee Daniels’ Team and ‘Empire’ is Rip-Off of His Movie
    http://cocoafab.com/is-empire-a-rip-off-of-must-be-the-music

After trying to do business with Daniels and it falling through, he continued to shop around the movie. That’s when he heard Daniels was moving forward with a similar idea as a TV show.

“We didn’t think they would take elements from our thing,” Gordon said. “They flipped it a little,” he said.

For example, in “Must Be the Music,” Dutton plays the lead and has a gay daughter. In “Empire,” Terrence Howard plays the lead with a gay son.

Both projects feature fathers and businessmen pitting their offspring off against each other to find out who will be an heir to the throne.

Actress Tasha Smith on the Magic of ‘Empire’: It’s Today’s ‘Dynasty’

upload_2015-3-30_1-30-55.png

Actress and comedian Tasha Smith, who plays Cookie’s (Tajari P. Henson) sister Carol, on FOX’s hit new series Empire, really loves the show she’s on. So much so that she doesn’t even read the scripts for episodes she’s not in.

Danny Strong Says Empire is Loosely Based on Jay Z's Life
    [​IMG]
    The writer pointed out that in the beginning the show received a ton of backlash for promoting stereotypes but, Danny Strong noted that the main character, Lucious Lyon is based on the multi-millionaire Jay-Z.

Sources:
    http://www.eurweb.com/2015/01/filmmaker-claims-lee-daniels-ripped-off-his-movie-with-empire-video
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.316674118383920.107272.128244437226890&type=3
    http://www.poeboymusicgroup.com/201...music-movie-trailer-introducing-brianna-perry
    http://www.etonline.com/tv/159576_actress_tasha_smith_on_the_magic_of_empire

2. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I wonder if the series was a flop if they would be making the same claim?

Peace!

3. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736

Cease and desist order was filed before the premiere of Empire, which was first conceived by writer Danny Strong as a movie.

Philly producers file cease and desist order against Lee Daniels’ ‘Empire’

Dec 25, 2014

Could this be the end for Fox’s highly anticipated “Empire?”

According to representatives of Philly-based entertainment executive, Steven Gordon, the upcoming musical drama, slated to premiere Jan. 7, is based “whole or in part” on Gordon’s independently financed and produced film, Must Be the Music. Gordon’s legal team, Browning Legal Group, has issued an “Order to Cease and Desist” against Fox, Imagine Television, creator and executive producer Lee Daniels, and executive producers Bryan Grazer, Danny Strong, and Francie Calfo, citing “irreparable harm and damage to the viability of his project.”

more...
    http://rollingout.com/tv/philly-producers-file-cease-desist-order-lee-daniels-empire

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,743
    when you get close to dem dogs you might get dem fleas......

5. African American Movies

African American Movies Member MEMBER

United States
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Anything is possible. Lee Daniels' production company wanted me to sign a release that if we had a dispute I could not recover more than $2,000. Needless to say I never signed it.