Monetary

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 15, 2002
Detroit, MI
members.blackplanet.com
Occupation
Economist
Marty Mulcahey said:
What is it that holds a seemingly qualified boxer from a title shot?

Maybe he has a weak left hook, or a lack of combination punching, or no managerial backing.

Perhaps some racial biases prevent a boxer from building a proper fan base, which would demand a title opportunity through television ratings. Some fighters fail to get title shots in America not because of their ethnicity, but rather because they lack the breakthrough fight to establish viewership. All those factors matter, but most of the time it's one simple equation that is to blame: Risk vs. reward.

I have to state that no true boxing superstar, regardless of race, will be denied a TV date. It's about money, and television wants more stars. The most-avoided fighters are often the tough guys who do nothing great, but everything well.

The risk vs. reward calculation on the part of the champion's manager keeps these dangerous, but not great fighters, from getting a crack at the title. Sometimes that drought lasts for years.

It is wrong, but a long-standing tradition in boxing. Some, like Marvin Hagler and Archie Moore, have overcome it. Others, such as Charley Burley and Jimmy Bivins, could not. On the whole, it robs fans of good fights while also holding some champions back in their quests for greatness.

The elite fighters, like Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao, have shown that Asian and black boxers can become staples of big-time boxing, and no reigning champion is scared of an opponent. In fact, most are eager to prove themselves. What prevents great matchups between good boxers is a management team bent on recouping its investment after a long trail to the title. Management often forgets how it struggled to get a title shot.

Here are 10 boxers who have to feel frustrated:

Note: Read the article to see the list of boxers. Click here to view the article.

What do you guys think of these fighters? I've seen three of them fight (Antonio Margarito - almost took out Cotto; Zahir Raheem - he has great boxing skills and isn't afraid to throw punches; and Kingsley Ikeke - has good boxing skills to be so tall and lanky, his range is his biggest asset)...and they are worth a legitimate title shot.

Who would be on your list of fighters who deserve a legitimate title shot?

Emmanuel Augustus is one of the most talented fighters in boxing (definately one of the most talented that doesn't have a title); however, he hurts himself by constant clowning in the ring. He has been robbed out of a lot of decisions. But he also cost himself victories by clowning when he should be fighting. From what I hear that was the case in his last fight (just this past weekend). Augustus did get a title shot against Floyd Mayweather 6 years ago, and lost by TKO.

Zahir Raheem is definately being ducked by the titleholders of the lightweight division. His only loss to Rocky Juarez I thought he got robbed, and he outright embarrassed Erik Morales. I think he could beat everyone in the lightweight division with the exception of Diego Corralles.

Kingsley Ikeke is a talented fighter as well. I don't think he is being ducked quite yet. I see him getting a title shot within the next year.

I must be able to see the future

Middleweight champion Jermain Taylor has vacated the IBF title to pave the way for a rematch with Bernard Hopkins. The American took a shock points win over compatriot and long-time holder Hopkins in July to claim all four major belts - IBF, WBC, WBA and WBO.

But now Taylor is shunning a mandatory IBF defence in favour of a lucrative return against Hopkins on 3 December.

Number two contender Kingsley Ikeke could now contest the vacant IBF title against a contender to be named.

Sam Soliman, the IBF's top-ranked challenger, has already signed up to face Winky Wright in December.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4334016.stm

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back