Black Authors : Fiction Works that can Assist in Understanding

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by Blackbird, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    Inspired by the a previous thread, would anyone like to share the author and name of fictional works worth looking into?

I'm start.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series
    1. The Eye of the World
    2. The Great Hunt
    3. The Dragon Reborn
    4. The Shadow Rising
    5. The Fires of Heaven
    6. Lord of Chaos
    7. A Crown of Swords
    8. The Path of Daggers
    9. Winter's Heart
    10. Crossroads at Midnight
    11. Knife of Dreams

The first 6 books were exceptional in writing. Worth the read. Explores a concept of "One Power", a force similar to "Ase" and the many probable uses of it. Secret societies exist in the work like Aes Sedai and the Knights Templar-like Children of Light.

Another author and work is Raymond E. Feist and his RiftWar Cycle, includes:
    1. The Riftwar Saga
    2. The Empire Trilogy
    3. Krondor's Sons
    4. The SerpentWar Saga
    5. The RiftWar Legacy
    6. Legends of the RiftWar
    7. Conclave of Shadows
    8. Darkwar Saga
    9. Demonwar Saga
    10. ChaosWar Saga

Dealing with political intrigues and the use of magick and magickal orders/traditions, invasions, Assassins, and Empire called Kesh, which is a reference to whom?

Contribute anyone if you would like....

Blackbird

2. DARKSIDE MAGICK

DARKSIDE MAGICK Well-Known Member MEMBER

SORCERER
    Ratings:
    +674
    CHAOS

OCTAVIA BUTLER
    1. WILDSEED
    2. LILITH'S BROOD TRILIOGY
    A) Dawn
    B) Adulthood Rites
    C) Imago

KENNETH GRANT
    1. THE NINTH ARCH
    2. GAMALLEL
    3. AGAINST THE LIGHT

FRANK HERBERT
    1. DUNE

3. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +33
    Good thread Bro. Blackbird!! Call me crazy but recently I was having a discussion about Stephen King with someone and I stated the man either studies the occult for his writings or he actually practices it......dont know much fiction books for understanding but.....

His "Dark Tower" series books one through seven can bring alot about understanding the Universe in general....the darkside in particular.....and alternate realities and worlds.....

Another one of his worth reading is "The Talisman".......that one is a trip....it deals with parallel universes and those that know how to travel between them...its a trip because in the parallel its the same people but different names, different times, etc....whatever you do in the primary world (Earth) affects what happens in the parallel universe......its very hard to explain just one of those books you have to read for yourself....

4. GeorgeM

United States
    Ratings:
    +33
    I cannot for the life of me remember the title of this book but the sister named Tananarive Due has a book about being married to an alien (a brother) from another planet.....somebody help me out with this....

5. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    Bros. Darkside and George,

Thank you for your entries. I will definitely look into those works. I think sometimes we fail to see the value in fiction work. It makes me recall in Malidoma's book when he wrote how his elders saw the validity in Star Trek. Once we understand, we can use all things we then approach the beginning of understanding power.

Hey, I use a Bettlejuice doll for one of my Ghede. Nothing is true; everything is permissible. Thank you Brothers! I abide in Darkness, in Duat with you.......

Blackbird

6. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    To advance the thread and for those demons would like to read the summaries of the Robert Jordan's works. I will provide links to summaries for the first 11 books in the Wheel of Time series.

Of course, it's nothing like reading the books themselves but.......

Book 1: Eye of the World
    http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eye_of_the_World

Blackbird

7. GeorgeM

United States
    Ratings:
    +33
    Oh I forgot this one.....

"The Great and Secret Show" by Clive Barker....

8. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    funny.. back in the day I used to be a fan of all such literature.. read & own all those listed and several more like minded.. check out The Death Gate Cycle (by Weis&Hickman).. it remains my favourite to date.. should be right up your street..

:heart:

9. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    Thanks, sister. I will do.

Blackbird

10. soulosophy

soulosophy Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +123
    Whew!! You guys are real fantasy/fiction buffs huh. Well I haven’t read anything as magickal and elaborate as you guys as I’ve never really been into fiction much at all. But nonetheless the few that I have read (perhaps boring in comparison...lol) have been meaningful for me.

The Picture of Dorian Gray” written by Oscar Wilde in the 1800’s. I read this book some 17 years ago. It got me thinking and helped bring me closer to a higher state of awareness. It speaks of the lower self – the ego (Geb).

The story focuses on ego, vanity and the subconscious. ‘Beauty’ is considered the most valuable thing in this story and dictates what one can do. In this case a so-called Adonis who believes that once you lose your beauty then you have nothing and unconsciously trades his soul for eternal youth whilst his portrait is being painted, thus his portrait will age while he remains youthful and ageless. He uses his beauty to do what ever he wants and treat others anyway he wants to. But little does he realise that not only does his portrait display him growing old, it also captures his soul depicting his true nature causing the portrait to look more and more grotesque evident with each terrible deed he commits.

In today’s world, the media, whether it be TV, movies, music, magazines, billboards, etc influences and defines what so-called beauty is...what we must aspire to look like, how much we should weigh, etc. More and more we see eating disorders in our young girls, low self-esteem, low self-worth, and so on because of these superficial ideals of so-called beauty. You cannot hide who you really are no matter how glossy the shine on the surface.

(Quote from the book)
    “Because to influence a person is to give him one’s own soul. He does not think his natural thoughts or burn with his natural passions. His virtues are not real to him. His sins, if there are such things as sins, are borrowed. He becomes an echo of some one else’s music, an actor of a part that has not been written for him. The aim of life is self-development. To realise one’s nature perfectly—that is what each of us is here for…”

A film was also made of the book which showed (in the beginning of the film) a quote by Omar Khayyam: “I sent my soul through the invisible, some letter of that Afterlife to spell: And by and by my soul returned and said, ‘I myself am Heaven and Hell.’” :time:

“Angels and Demons” by Dan Brown

Not sure that this helps in understanding self as such :SuN045: but I read this book 6 years ago and wanted to put it out there just for the simple fact that just the other day we had the world's largest scientific research facility CERN switching on the Large Hadron Collider trying to recreate the big bang and looking for proof of God. :skillet:

In "Angels and Demons", CERN is the centre of happenings. Anyway, the story goes into Illuminati and Vatican conspiracy where the differences between science and religion are trying to be reconciled. The story’s focus is at CERN where the world’s largest particle accelerator is used to create anti-matter to simulate the big bang to prove the existence of God so they can create new matter. If you know anything about quantum physics, anti-matter cannot co-exist with matter as each will cancel out each other causing an explosion of unprecedented power. So they keep the anti-matter suspended in a canister which gets stolen. The story also explains scientific matters in a language that is easily understood as well as covering the history and customs of the Catholic church. For me the religion versus science controversy was eye-opening.

Dan Brown tends to be a bit controversial in his writings as he normally mixes his stories with political, scientific or religious facts.

I know it wasn’t your intention but I think you guys got me sold into wanting to read more fantasy/fiction books. I think I’ll probably start off with the one suggested by sister Zulile then work down the list of bro Blackbird’s….:kickball:

Peace…